Toulouse New Signings

Toulouse have a great squad for the Championship and went unbeaten for over 2 years, most of their squad are Super League Ready, but they’ll still need to make several signings and strengthen to be a force in Super League.

Are there any rumours on who they’re looking to sign? It’s always tough for the promoted side as most players already have contracts for next season so it’s slim pickings. 

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I do know is they are going to struggle with the quota spots as they have signed players up on long term deals so unless they pay them off they are stuck. The only one I’m aware of leaving is Hitchcox.

What I’m not sure about is if they will be granted any dispensation or if English players count differently.

They now face the age old struggle of players already having deals in place.

I would think Theo Fages is an obvious choice as he is leaving St Helens.

If they were bold enough I would put in a cheeky bid for Tom Johnstone. Wakefield are in a pretty bad state with the cuts in funding and a bid of £100k (and a high paid player off the books) may be tempting for Trinity - timing is everything.

They also need a front rower to replace Casty. I think that Emre Gular at Canberra would be a great signing. He seems to be on the outer at the Raiders but is a big unit. Always rated him.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of Catalans younger players on season long loans.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

If they were bold enough I would put in a cheeky bid for Tom Johnstone. Wakefield are in a pretty bad state with the cuts in funding and a bid of £100k (and a high paid player off the books) may be tempting for Trinity - timing is everything.

The also need a front rower to replace Casty. I think that Emre Gular at Canberra would be a great signing. He seems to be on the outer at the Raiders but is a big unit. Always rated him.

Going on the defence here but where does it say Wakefield are in a bad state? Just for information the reduction across the board will hit all clubs. The club explores other ways of increasing funding streams, I think you need to look at one or two other clubs before singling out Wakefield.

13 minutes ago, binosh said:

What I do know is they are going to struggle with the quota spots as they have signed players up on long term deals so unless they pay them off they are stuck. The only one I’m aware of leaving is Hitchcox.

What I’m not sure about is if they will be granted any dispensation or if English players count differently.

They now face the age old struggle of players already having deals in place.

English/British players don’t count on a quota.

Just now, Forever Trinity said:

Going on the defence here but where does it say Wakefield are in a bad state? Just for information the reduction across the board will hit all clubs. The club explores other ways of increasing funding streams, I think you need to look at one or two other clubs before singling out Wakefield.

I don't mean they are about to go under, just that they are going to have to absorb the cuts head on (unlike some clubs who have a benefactor filling in the gaps). This article is pretty revealing what the plan is. As I said, sometimes a cheeky bid at the right time gets results. Tom Johnstone will be on a pretty good whack and a £100-150k fee towards that shortfall is probably pretty tempting for the Wakefield board right now etc. 

https://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/reduced-broadcast-deal-set-to-leave-wakefield-trinity-ps450000-worse-off-3401664

9 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I don't mean they are about to go under, just that they are going to have to absorb the cuts head on (unlike some clubs who have a benefactor filling in the gaps). This article is pretty revealing what the plan is. As I said, sometimes a cheeky bid at the right time gets results. Tom Johnstone will be on a pretty good whack and a £100-150k fee towards that shortfall is probably pretty tempting for the Wakefield board right now etc. 

https://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/reduced-broadcast-deal-set-to-leave-wakefield-trinity-ps450000-worse-off-3401664

Do you think Johnstone would want to leave the delights of Wakefield to live in a dump like Toulouse though? 

20 minutes ago, Scubby said:

They also need a front rower to replace Casty. I think that Emre Gular at Canberra would be a great signing. He seems to be on the outer at the Raiders but is a big unit. Always rated him.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of Catalans younger players on season long loans.

Fages is off to Huddersfield I believe 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Do you think Johnstone would want to leave the delights of Wakefield to live in a dump like Toulouse though? 

That's my home town you are talking about there! 😄 

In all seriousness (and with what is going on in Australia atm) I would imagine France is a pretty tempting opportunity for some British players now Catalans have been successful with recruitment.

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Whilst very funny it does actually have a serious point here. Some players have struggled moving over the pennines let alone south of France. There was an interesting bit in the last Out of Your League podcast talking about how Sam Tomkins has adapted to French life and comparing him to some of Catalans other high profile signings who haven't been as successful. Given the apparent team spirit and the way TO have gone about building the squad then I assume that they do give this due consideration however it probably reduces further the pool of players that they can/will go for.

20 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

One French sounding stadium to another

Stade Roquette Mobile?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

32 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Wingers are not high priority under the low SL salary cap, plus he seems very injury prone unfortunately. Casty was easily my MOTM yesterday and replacing him is top priority. Year 1 is about survival, they already have a decent looking (starting) backline so it's some powerful forwards to provide depth they'll be after primarily I think. Not sure if many are available in SL, but season loans might be an option for fringe players from the top SL teams looking to manage their 2022 budgets.

43 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Fages will be at Huddersfield next year

9 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

Whilst very funny it does actually have a serious point here. Some players have struggled moving over the pennines let alone south of France. There was an interesting bit in the last Out of Your League podcast talking about how Sam Tomkins has adapted to French life and comparing him to some of Catalans other high profile signings who haven't been as successful. Given the apparent team spirit and the way TO have gone about building the squad then I assume that they do give this due consideration however it probably reduces further the pool of players that they can/will go for.

Carney said last night that they would need to be careful of players signing just for the lifestyle and the beach. A fair point since they are a good 100 miles from any coastline.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

They've talked a big game so basing these names on the hypothesis that they will spend the full cap and may even recruit a marquee.

Hopefully they go for a strategy that balances star NRL names (Mitch Pearce & Tariq Sims probably the standout options rumoured available atm), solid & dependable SL players (a la Hankinson), fringe Catalans players (Seguier/Jullien and maybe Laguerre/Chan on loan) and some younger talent from down under (agree with the Emre Guler shout above). 

The major problem IMO will be the 'solid, dependable SL players' category as a lot of the names you would suggest will probably require fees at this stage.

7 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

I have friends living in Toulouse and I can tell you there are some rough places. Not saying it’s all bad mate but it was an eye opener. 

Same as any city. Overall though it’s a very pleasant place. 

Archived