Toulouse New Signings

Tough thing for Toulouse, especially regarding NRL players, is that most players of note are already signed up. Though sure there are a few that are available.

Noticed Wests have only offered James Roberts a pay as you play deal for next year. Even though he has had plenty of problems off the field and with form, he'd be a player who could potentially ignite SL. And one that could see France as a destination to maybe resurrect his career.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

The biggest challenge will be who will help if 3 clubs are going to be in SL2

There is not way they are going to relegate 3/12 in 2022. The Championship clubs may want to get it straight from the top that there actually will be some kind of promotion in 2022 because I wouldn't be so sure.

No doubt you would have Cas, Wakefield, Salford and Huddersfield voting against - which means they would only need 3 more votes to defeat a 3 down scenario.

39 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

The biggest challenge will be who will help if 3 clubs are going to be in SL2

It's a discussion for a different thread but I'd suggest the SL2 concept has been shelved given Betfred have signed a 3 year extension to their sponsorship of all comps and the Premier Sports tv deal for the Championship is 2 seasons.

47 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Tough thing for Toulouse, especially regarding NRL players, is that most players of note are already signed up. Though sure there are a few that are available.

Noticed Wests have only offered James Roberts a pay as you play deal for next year. Even though he has had plenty of problems off the field and with form, he'd be a player who could potentially ignite SL. And one that could see France as a destination to maybe resurrect his career.

Dunno , I was a big fan but nowadays I may be thinking twice 

Just now, DavidM said:

Dunno , I was a big fan but nowadays I may be thinking twice 

He's had his problems. But could be one of those players that finds the relative obscurity of a RL players life in France a welcoming change and the trigger needed. I'd be willing to take a risk.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, Ray Cashmere said:

Hopefully they go for a strategy that balances star NRL names (Mitch Pearce & Tariq Sims probably the standout options rumoured available atm), solid & dependable SL players (a la Hankinson), fringe Catalans players (Seguier/Jullien and maybe Laguerre/Chan on loan) and some younger talent from down under (agree with the Emre Guler shout above). 

Pearce would be a good shout. He’s definitely going to be looking to move for 2022, and is one of those grafting halves that - even though he’s not top tier NRL - always seems to put a proper shift in, like Maloney (and certainly a class-above most SL halves)

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

40 minutes ago, MC Finchy said:

Winger to replace Hitchcox.

Back up half to cover Ford and Gigot.

Couple more hungry props to replace Casty.

Those are a must for Toulouse. Plus a number of squad players for depth.

As well as they have the luxury of an A team to choose from. 

In regards to back up for Ford, Gigot. Lucas Albert is already at Toulouse and only recently made his debut so I'm happy with those three in the halves and don't think they need to make further additions. 

Having said that I have no idea whether Albert is signed on for next year. 

I would only make an exception for Theo Fages.

6 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

He's had his problems. But could be one of those players that finds the relative obscurity of a RL players life in France a welcoming change and the trigger needed. I'd be willing to take a risk.

Yeh fair point , I’d like to see it 

1 hour ago, MC Finchy said:

As well as they have the luxury of an A team to choose from. 

Albeit one whose season starts in October and which finished 9th of 10 clubs in elite1 last year. The centre de formation is possibly more important.

1 minute ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Re Johnstone,  he has a young family so while the thought of the South of France is enticing, your child becomes the priority.  

You're not necessarily wrong, but Sam Tomkins has a young family and they appear to be thriving in the south of France.

I hesitate to suggest this, but perhaps they could sign a union player or even 2? I assume there are some good players who played proper rugby growing up but were lured over the the Dark Side, who could be rehabilitated. Of course, we’d have a job getting them fit, but maybe that could work? 

One thing I would say is that, as a place, Toulouse is a very serious proposition if we do thins right. Big city, love their sport.

3 hours ago, Scubby said:

I would think Theo Fages is an obvious choice as he is leaving St Helens.

If they were bold enough I would put in a cheeky bid for Tom Johnstone. Wakefield are in a pretty bad state with the cuts in funding and a bid of £100k (and a high paid player off the books) may be tempting for Trinity - timing is everything.

They also need a front rower to replace Casty. I think that Emre Gular at Canberra would be a great signing. He seems to be on the outer at the Raiders but is a big unit. Always rated him.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of Catalans younger players on season long loans.

Fages going to Hudds.

Just now, Scubby said:

I must have missed that announcement. If he hasn't signed yet he is fair game I assume.

I don’t think it’s been officially but this was on the Serious about RL website (rubbish site)

“And, they have been able to do that without the services of livewire halfback Fages, who Brian Carney confirmed, will be in a Huddersfield Giants shirt from 2022.”

16 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I hesitate to suggest this, but perhaps they could sign a union player or even 2? I assume there are some good players who played proper rugby growing up but were lured over the the Dark Side, who could be rehabilitated. Of course, we’d have a job getting them fit, but maybe that could work? 

One thing I would say is that, as a place, Toulouse is a very serious proposition if we do thins right. Big city, love their sport.

I had heard a rumour that there was a top Australian player who has been thinking of switching codes.  it would be massive if it came off, more from a marketing point of view as well as you would get the Union crowd in when the other team were playing away. It had gone quiet though as the quota question did come up, so i'm not sure where they are with that. with Peuch and Marcon fit again, and Albert staying , just one or two more big fellas would be my guess. One huge other question is if they make it obligatory to be fully vaxxed to play in SL. I know of at least one top guy at TO who would not be playing next year! 

4 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I don’t think it’s been officially but this was on the Serious about RL website (rubbish site)

“And, they have been able to do that without the services of livewire halfback Fages, who Brian Carney confirmed, will be in a Huddersfield Giants shirt from 2022.”

That is a bit of hearsay and Serious About RL is pretty fluffy to put it mildly. He may well be with the Giants but you would have thought that would have been announced a while back - especially as they launched their new bargain season tickets. It all fuels the rumours I suppose.

36 minutes ago, kiggy said:

I had heard a rumour that there was a top Australian player who has been thinking of switching codes.  it would be massive if it came off, more from a marketing point of view as well as you would get the Union crowd in when the other team were playing away. 

The only Aussie yawn player who could have that impact is Samu Kerevi and it seems to me there is 0.001 per cent chance of that.

37 minutes ago, Scubby said:

That is a bit of hearsay and Serious About RL is pretty fluffy to put it mildly. He may well be with the Giants but you would have thought that would have been announced a while back - especially as they launched their new bargain season tickets. It all fuels the rumours I suppose.

No, this wasn’t SARL, it was them quoting Brian Carney on Sky.

SARL must be the worst there is on RL media.  OTT clickbait headings on what 2 blokes on Twitter have said is normal fodder.

But on Fages, it would’ve been the ideal time to go back to France when interest is rising.  I hope it’s not too late!

Archived