Toulouse New Signings

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cunningham is a grim signing. Very average. Let’s hope they sign some actual big names, their pack definitely needs bolstering. 

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

4 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It’s always tough for the promoted team to make decent signings so late in the day 

Agreed. If we are to keep P & R then I think there needs to be a realignment of when players contracts end and the pushing out of the date when clubs are able to sign players in order to make it an even playing field. At the moment new clubs are on a hiding to nothing with regards to recruitment and end up having to shop in the basement

4 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Cunningham is a grim signing. Very average. Let’s hope they sign some actual big names, their pack definitely needs bolstering. 

I would imagine it's nothing more than to round out their depth, both Leigh and Toronto (in their short stint) were ravaged by injury from the very start of their seasons which gave them no real chance to stay up. If there's one area TO are already pretty well stocked it's the spine but the addition of Cunningham should cover for such a worst-case scenario. 

Fullback: Kheirallah, Gigot

Halves: Gigot, Ford, Albert (Pending re-signing?), Marion, White

Hooker: White, Pelissier, Cunningham, Marion

Agree that the pack is where most remaining signings need to strengthen.

1 hour ago, Stanley30 said:

Agreed. If we are to keep P & R then I think there needs to be a realignment of when players contracts end and the pushing out of the date when clubs are able to sign players in order to make it an even playing field. At the moment new clubs are on a hiding to nothing with regards to recruitment and end up having to shop in the basement

That’s unrealistic and not fair on the players, they have financial commitments like mortgages to pay, they can’t be forced to wait to October to find employment for the following season. Bringing the Championship Grand Final forward, either by shortening the Championship season, starting earlier, or having some kind of Championship Cup competition after the Grand Final is the only solution to keeping P&R imo. 

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It’s always tough for the promoted team to make decent signings so late in the day 

Its why I still believe a promoted team needs at least 2 seasons of protection against relegation, its getting harder and harder for a team to build in time for a new season. London did the best so far and still got relegated. The promoted side have a real struggle signing quality and have to scramble around for whats left basically, while hoping to get some average overseas players. 

41 minutes ago, dkw said:

Its why I still believe a promoted team needs at least 2 seasons of protection against relegation, its getting harder and harder for a team to build in time for a new season. London did the best so far and still got relegated. The promoted side have a real struggle signing quality and have to scramble around for whats left basically, while hoping to get some average overseas players. 

Welcome to the world of P&R, you can't have one without the other. 

If you want to guarantee places for clubs in SL then switch back to licencing, if not then deal with the P&R consequences. Stupid hybrid systems protecting some clubs over others just don't work, you protect one but unfairly penalise another.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

4 hours ago, dkw said:

Lots of teams have been promoted and stayed up. London did ok but got relegated.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

5 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Welcome to the world of P&R, you can't have one without the other. 

If you want to guarantee places for clubs in SL then switch back to licencing, if not then deal with the P&R consequences. Stupid hybrid systems protecting some clubs over others just don't work, you protect one but unfairly penalise another.

Nope I think for SL you do need a hybrid system. Two French clubs should be locked-in with no relegation.

If the English want to carry on with the crazy promotion system (crazy because as a sport we’re not strong enough for it) then the bottom one of those goes down.

Truth is you’d only need Leeds, Wigan or Saints to have a nightmare season and come close to relegation and you’d soon see an unsurprising call for a return to licensing for English clubs too!

1 hour ago, theswanmcr said:

Nope I think for SL you do need a hybrid system. Two French clubs should be locked-in with no relegation.

So you want them protected just because they're French 🤣  🤣 🤣

Ever thought of applying for a job as spokesman for the French fishermen - that's the kind of ridiculous guff they come out with !!!

32 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

So you want them protected just because they're French 🤣  🤣 🤣

Ever thought of applying for a job as spokesman for the French fishermen - that's the kind of ridiculous guff they come out with !!!

I want them protected because losing Catalans Dragons would be disastrous (it nearly happened a few years ago). Lesser so Toulouse at the minute because that is just potential but even this would be bad for the sport as a whole. Of course it could also happen to big English clubs like Leeds but less likely. 

Swapping one small northern English town for another is one thing, swapping any one of two French teams for another small northern English town is just plain stupid in terms of trying to grow the game and Super League.

31 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

I want them protected because losing Catalans Dragons would be disastrous (it nearly happened a few years ago). Lesser so Toulouse at the minute because that is just potential but even this would be bad for the sport as a whole. Of course it could also happen to big English clubs like Leeds but less likely. 

Swapping one small northern English town for another is one thing, swapping any one of two French teams for another small northern English town is just plain stupid in terms of trying to grow the game and Super League.

Unfortunately, as has been commented many time, that’s P&R in SL.  Not enough time to prepare a squad etc.

There are a couple of players currently playing in Elite that I think might be snapped up by TO before the SL season starts.  TO might have a little more strength in depth than Leigh but they face the same predicament.

39 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

Because Catalans have been such a huge success in bringing through lots of French players to strengthen their national team haven't they !!!

Losing Catalans wont be disastrous, just like losing Bradford wasn't (which everyone claimed it was at the time)

Catalans have done naff all to improve their national team so losing them from SL wont make a blind bit of difference - well except maybe having 1 less retirement home for antipodeans !!

14 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Because Catalans have been such a huge success in bringing through lots of French players to strengthen their national team haven't they !!!

Losing Catalans wont be disastrous, just like losing Bradford wasn't (which everyone claimed it was at the time)

Catalans have done naff all to improve their national team so losing them from SL wont make a blind bit of difference - well except maybe having 1 less retirement home for antipodeans !!

Boring….again and again…

17 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

You could easily replace 'Catalans' with any English club and their failure to improve the England/GB national team in their quest to beat Australia in any competition for god knows how long 

52 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

I want them protected because losing Catalans Dragons would be disastrous (it nearly happened a few years ago). Lesser so Toulouse at the minute because that is just potential but even this would be bad for the sport as a whole.

2 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

If the English want to carry on with the crazy promotion system (crazy because as a sport we’re not strong enough for it) then the bottom one of those goes down.

Truth is you’d only need Leeds, Wigan or Saints to have a nightmare season and come close to relegation and you’d soon see an unsurprising call for a return to licensing for English clubs too!

Of course it could also happen to big English clubs like Leeds but less likely. 

But then we would be running 2 different systems within the same league. It would impact on integrity. We could have final games where teams are close at the top yet one is playing a side that has to win to stay up whereas the other is playing one that can't be relegated. 

Or would the lower of the French clubs be relegated and replaced by the French Championship winner. But then we could have a second placed club being relegated. Also you could have a situation where a French city is replaced by a French small town. Would that be acceptable? 

Also who goes down if a Canadian or other European team is promoted? 

Archived