Rule changes for 2022 (Merged threads)

I think the ball steal one was the one that would unite most fans in terms of being a welcome change.

There are arguments for and against scrums, and for and against the 6 again rule (or its current application), but this year's ball steal rule just didn't work, did it?

It was far too tough for refs to make an accurate judgement call about whether the 2nd/3rd tackler disengaged before the ball steal took place, but also it was an unfair rule on the ball carrier who often couldn't focus totally on his grip of the ball whilst several players were engaged with him, leaving him vulnerable to the ball stealer who could concentrate on getting his hands in a "stealing" position before his team mates disengaged.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 good rule changes for next year. I think scrums were always going to come back at some point it was just a matter of when, particularly as the NRL kept them.

The other 2 rule changes are one's i'm really glad to see. The players falling off for a ball steal I think discouraged offloading, and there were plenty of time this year the officials got their calls wrong. But the 'Toby King' rule is the one that i'm most pleased about. Players sprinting round then throwing themselves on the floor like they've been shot by a sniper is not a good look for the game at all.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

3 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

3 good rule changes for next year. I think scrums were always going to come back at some point it was just a matter of when, particularly as the NRL kept them.

The other 2 rule changes are one's i'm really glad to see. The players falling off for a ball steal I think discouraged offloading, and there were plenty of time this year the officials got their calls wrong. But the 'Toby King' rule is the one that i'm most pleased about. Players sprinting round then throwing themselves on the floor like they've been shot by a sniper is not a good look for the game at all.

The mirror image of the 'Lachlan Coote' rule. A player going down like they've been shot by a sniper and then running around like a spring lamb once someone has been sent off.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

How about the heads of the NRL and SLE and RFL and ARLC come together and agree on a universal set of rules for the game. Then get it rubber stamped as the IRL rules?

I don't event mind the NRL flexing their muscles a bit but this is now getting ridiculous and is only going to hurt the sport at the highest level as changes get more radical.

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

How about the heads of the NRL and SLE and RFL and ARLC come together and agree on a universal set of rules for the game. Then get it rubber stamped as the IRL rules?

First time poster, I see. Welcome.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

13 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I don't event mind the NRL flexing their muscles a bit but this is now getting ridiculous and is only going to hurt the sport at the highest level as changes get more radical.

Now you are just being silly, Scubby.

We northern hemisphere types need to know our place - metaphorically as well as geographically - just as the southern hemisphere colonialists did back in the good old days!

Slightly more seriously, it would be all well and good having a single set of rules, but, as we see week-in-week-out, many are simply not implemented, e.g. moving forward off the mark when tackled and not allowing the tackler to regain their position, to name but two.

I dream of the day when there is one set of rules and they are implemented in full, in each game, without exception, modification, or 'interpretation'.

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

The mirror image of the 'Lachlan Coote' rule. A player going down like they've been shot by a sniper and then running around like a spring lamb once someone has been sent off.

You do realise the new SL rule (and current NRL rule) only applies to players not injured as a result of foul play don't you ?

The 'Toby King' rule it is then 😉

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

2 hours ago, Just Browny said:

I thought the NRL reference seemed a bit scrambled, like even the person writing the press release hadn't bothered to look up what it meant in practice. I agree with the intent though - it needs sorting out.

Scrums and the ball stealing rule are the right fixes though - reversing a tinkering that weren't really needed.

The quality of RFL press releases is dire. I can only think they have a student writing them.

It is a bizarre release that says the change is "we'll do what they do in the NRL" - do we just have to go and read what the NRL do ourselves?

You are the governing body, tell us what the rule changes are ffs!

On 11/10/2021 at 10:55, Scubby said:

I was at the GF and it was my first live game for a few years - and first without scrums. It did not speed the game up, it looked awkward and there seemed to be a lot of time wasted pontificating about where the restart would be. Also, on a few occasions it was used as a natural stoppage in play so water carriers could run on.

The NRL has scrums and is keeping them, The World Cup will have scrums. Super League will be creating a serious disadvantage for the national team if they persist in 2022. Habits get broken and scrum plays and defending scrums is still a fundamental part of the game.

Get them back asap.

Fine - but have them contested 

36 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

Fine - but have them contested 

Contested in what way?

I was watching highlights of the 1977 CC final earlier today. Two scrums included were won against the feed. Whether they were won against the head is less obvious to put it kindly. The ball didn`t even go in the second scrum.

Despite their shortcomings, I`m relieved scrums are to return next year. Given what they have allowed to happen to the PTB, I had a growing suspicion the RFL wanted rid permanently.

The biggest single issue affecting the sport and its attractiveness is the wrestle and interpretation of the ruck. Nothing on that here, perhaps it's not a rule change as such. But let's hope there's something done about how it is refereed before the start of next year.

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

It was far too tough for refs to make an accurate judgement call about whether the 2nd/3rd tackler disengaged before the ball steal took place, but also it was an unfair rule on the ball carrier who often couldn't focus totally on his grip of the ball whilst several players were engaged with him, leaving him vulnerable to the ball stealer who could concentrate on getting his hands in a "stealing" position before his team mates disengaged.

I don`t mind that much about the ball-steal rule change, there are pros and cons either way, but we have to ask why something that works perfectly well in Oz causes so much consternation over here.

Whether a tackler has disengaged prior to the steal is no more difficult to adjudicate than whether he initially engaged prior to the steal. In most one-on-one attempts there is more than one defender very close to the action looking to make a tackle.

I saw an instance in a women`s game recently where two of three tacklers dropped off while the one still engaged went for the steal. The ball-carrier was alert, held on to the ball, got the legs driving, and pushed the tackler back for a 5 metre gain and quick PTB. This rule change means we will now lose that variety of contest in the tackle.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

The quality of RFL press releases is dire. I can only think they have a student writing them.

It is a bizarre release that says the change is "we'll do what they do in the NRL" - do we just have to go and read what the NRL do ourselves?

You are the governing body, tell us what the rule changes are ffs!

Also a hostage to fortune. Who knows what wacky rules the NRL will announce in the next few months; changing things for no reason seems to be a big deal for them.

5 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Does that mean tackling?

No it means referee-sanctioned interference, grinding the opposition into the ground, looking up at the referee for clearance to stop laying on, plus the legacy of the chicken wings and cannonballs which appeared over here in about 2010.

2 good rules, 1 bad. Have no interest in seeing scrums return, but very happy to see the strip rule change as it was farcical at times, and hopefully the other one will have an effect on certain clubs abusing injuries.

4 minutes ago, POR said:

I hope  if scrums are back the RFL make the starting 6 and replacement forwards pack down  and not the stand off  who can't tackle🤣

Is there a starting 6? When a player starts the game wearing the number 32 jersey, what helps the referee determine he should be in the pack? A team list these days could just be in numerical order of the shirts worn or maybe alphabetical order of the players surnames.

Another example of why running onto the pitch in jersey's 1 to 13 would be refreshing... we could actually see what positions people are playing.  Crazy thought I know!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Thanks to @UTKfor posting on the scrums thread but I thought a thread for all the changes would be useful.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/36143/rfl-board-approves-laws-changes-for-2022

3. Changes to treating injured players on the pitch will "adopt the NRL policy relating to injury stoppages"

Anyone know what the NRL policy is and how it differs to Super League as I have seen injury stoppages take an age in the NRL this year.

6 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Anyone got any idea about this?

I have no idea. It’s quite unbelievable our official rule changes are put out in such a way that presumes everyone knows the NRL rule interpretations inside out.

40 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Until half way through the first half of the GF (when my mate who’s never been to a League game before asked why there were no scrums) I’d forgotten all about them. 

Your mate is an avid Union follower then? Good call to take him to League. 👍

Archived