Championship next season

51 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

This has developed into a pleasingly level-headed and grown-up discussion. If you're going to have a childish dig, at least make it a witty or original one.

You might be waiting awhile.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Fax announce Matty Gee from Leigh. Opinions Leigh fans?

Given the papar thin squad we ended up with half way through last season we already look a lot better than we did depth wise with at least 3 more signings to come in.

Always a solid worker for London - which is probably a better marker of his quality. Good champ level pro.

Talking of London - we must be up there as Fav to go down.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Given the papar thin squad we ended up with half way through last season we already look a lot better than we did depth wise with at least 3 more signings to come in.

Decent signing for championship, real workhorse forward. Always gave 100% for us last year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Always a solid worker for London - which is probably a better marker of his quality. Good champ level pro.

Grix is certainly a massive fan over hard workers rather than flashy from what we have seen so far since he took over at the club.

I think London have actually made some better signings than a lot of people thought they would and although it would be a huge effort to make the playoffs I think they will avoid relegation too.

45 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Was up here for a while , real solid performer . Liked him 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Good player, would have kept him at Leigh, always committed to the cause and gave 100% on the pitch.

Will be standout for Fax if used as a wide running second row like Haggerty used him and no coincidence he finished the season strongly in his favoured position scoring most weeks. Duffy used him as a middle and it just didn’t work.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, binosh said:

Good player, would have kept him at Leigh, always committed to the cause and gave 100% on the pitch.

Will be standout for Fax if used as a wide running second row like Haggerty used him and no coincidence he finished the season strongly in his favoured position scoring most weeks. Duffy used him as a middle and it just didn’t work.

Yeah I think Grix has said similar about using him as a second row. He can probably get away with propping in the Championship with the size difference in players but will be similar to Tangata who looks a decent sized prop in the Championship but in SL looks like a tiny second rower. Looks a good signing especially as he has been one that hasn't really got that many people talking when we found out we had signed him.

4 hours ago, Leonard said:

Last season there were a couple of obvious contenders for the drop but this year (if, indeed there is any P&R) there are a few possibilities. Sheffield, for example, seem to have quite a long way to go in their recruitment having lost a host of players. Some would point at my club, Dewsbury, but I feel that we have made a couple of much better signings this year and should actually improve. Promoted clubs often find it tough to survive but given the home advantages of both Workington and Barrow, they will fancy their chances of doing so. London are something of a mystery to me at present so will probably be scrapping around at the bottom too. No doubt there will also be a surprise packet who prove to be much worse than envisaged, but who might that be?

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Just think one of the cumbrian clubs will go down as the talent might not be there at champ level to spread over three clubs.  

Would be a shame to see Eagles go down now they finally have a stadium . London is a sad story and I think it might be curtains for them.  

Might be strange to say this but after a few nightmare years maybe Widnes can be a surprise package.  

Edited by ShropshireBull

3 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Just think one of the cumbrian clubs will go down as the talent might not be there at champ level to spread over three clubs.  

Would be a shame to see Eagles go down now they finally have a stadium . London is a sad story and I think it might be curtains for them.  

Might be strange to say this but after a few nightmare years maybe Widnes can be a surprise package.  

They are still tenants and played out of the OLP in the past. That was hailed as a turning point in their fortunes, but guess what? I'm at a loss as to how things are going to change to make a great deal of difference to them financially or otherwise. 

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

I think they will have enough to avoid getting sucked in to the relegation battle to be honest.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Last season there were a couple of obvious contenders for the drop but this year (if, indeed there is any P&R) there are a few possibilities. Sheffield, for example, seem to have quite a long way to go in their recruitment having lost a host of players. 

Sheffield have 28.   How many more do you reckon they need ?

• Haha 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

12 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Danny Brough announces his retirement on medical advice. Tremendous career he's had.

Bulls still have Patton and Lilley at half back but you'd still think that's a blow.

Brough has had a great career. If the Bulls dropped into the NCL Lilley would still look bang average.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Griff said:

Sheffield have 28.   How many more do you reckon they need ?

Really? They kept that quiet, all they have said mainly is that 14+ were leaving and they were starting to rebuild anew.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Brough going is huge.  He has been wonderful to watch throughout his years.  

I worry about Bulls next year,  we never looked the same after Danny got injured. 

I would like us to play someone who can scoot from half back to offer a different threat. Certainly less confident of Bulls making playoffs. 

4 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Really? They kept that quiet, all they have said mainly is that 14+ were leaving and they were starting to rebuild anew.

It was on their Facebook page only yesterday.

Signings are often made and announced later.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

On 31/10/2021 at 09:35, LeytherRob said:

Decent signing for championship, real workhorse forward. Always gave 100% for us last year.

23 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Top end Championship grafter with a great attitude imo - stuck his hand up all year when others didnt fancy it - wish him well except ......

21 hours ago, binosh said:

Out of interest how would our Leigh contributors have compared Gee to Hellewell, who has rejoined us at Fev?

Am guessing Gee would be seen as the bigger loss judged by the comments above, have seen a fair bit of Hellewell at centre (including his stint for us) but not at back row.