Championship next season

Skybet first up with betting for the 2022 Championship (regular season)...

Featherstone Rovers 6/5

Leigh Centurions 2/1

Halifax Panthers 10/1

York City Knights 12/1

Bradford Bulls 14/1

Newcastle Thunder 16/1

Widnes Vikings 20/1

London Broncos 25/1

Batley Bulldogs 40/1

Whitehaven RLFC 66/1

Dewsbury Rams 80/1

Barrow Raiders 100/1

Sheffield Eagles 125/1

Workington Town 150/1

Initial thoughts...really it's too early to accurately state Fev and Leigh's odds until we know how many more each club have to add, and who. As things stand, Fax and York should probably be a shade closer to them in the betting...but equally signings in the next couple of months could have the inverse impact and see one or other of the top 2 quoted go odds on.

Otherwise, there's no way London should be shorter than Batley, that's the really obvious error.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Featherstone Rovers 6/5

Leigh Centurions 2/1

Halifax Panthers 10/1

York City Knights 12/1

Bradford Bulls 14/1

Newcastle Thunder 16/1

Widnes Vikings 20/1

London Broncos 25/1

Batley Bulldogs 40/1

Whitehaven RLFC 66/1

Dewsbury Rams 80/1

Barrow Raiders 100/1

Sheffield Eagles 125/1

Workington Town 150/1

Initial thoughts...really it's too early to accurately state Fev and Leigh's odds until we know how many more each club have to add, and who. As things stand, Fax and York should probably be a shade closer to them in the betting...but equally signings in the next couple of months could have the inverse impact and see one or other of the top 2 quoted go odds on.

Otherwise, there's no way London should be shorter than Batley, that's the really obvious error.

I'd actually have London on level with Sheffield and Barrow. I'd say looking at our squad plus first time PT (So have to adjust), completely new squad (so no real cohesion) and new manager with no Championship management experience would put us below Haven and Dewsbury in the betting

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Featherstone Rovers 6/5

Leigh Centurions 2/1

Halifax Panthers 10/1

York City Knights 12/1

Bradford Bulls 14/1

Newcastle Thunder 16/1

Widnes Vikings 20/1

London Broncos 25/1

Batley Bulldogs 40/1

Whitehaven RLFC 66/1

Dewsbury Rams 80/1

Barrow Raiders 100/1

Sheffield Eagles 125/1

Workington Town 150/1

There is no way a FT setup should be 16/1 whether you approve of Thunder's recruitment or not.

Featherstone are extremely short as, to my mind, their squad is notably weaker than last season. Still should be one of the favourites mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Cashmere said:

There is no way a FT setup should be 16/1 whether you approve of Thunder's recruitment or not.

I don't think being full time in itself is necessarily that big an advantage in itself, the squad is more important in my view.

London were full time last season but if they were still full time this year with the same squad I'd be happy to lay them at double the 16-1. Similarly, Sheffield's transformation from champions to bottom half of the table fodder can be directly linked to their switch from part time to full time (when they lost a lot of their part-time players who had good jobs, and replaced them with inferior players on full-time contracts).

That said...I think Newcastle on paper have definitely improved their squad just as they go full time, so the two factors together might mean 16-1 is a bit big.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 1

Cook Island international Paul Ulberg signed on with London Broncos .

Having played 60+ Qld Cup games and featuring in the RL World 9s tournament (being named in the team of the tournament) .

Very good signing by the Broncos. 

17 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Featherstone Rovers 6/5

Leigh Centurions 2/1

Halifax Panthers 10/1

York City Knights 12/1

Bradford Bulls 14/1

Newcastle Thunder 16/1

Widnes Vikings 20/1

London Broncos 25/1

Batley Bulldogs 40/1

Whitehaven RLFC 66/1

Dewsbury Rams 80/1

Barrow Raiders 100/1

Sheffield Eagles 125/1

Workington Town 150/1

I wish Skybet would pass the information on to us Leigh fans with how they assume that Leigh are worthy of being at 2/1 for winning the Championship, started training this week with no coach and only 14 to 16 player's signed on, no news coming out of the club either, clearly operating the mushroom syndrome of keeping everyone in the dark and feeding them sh*t.

45 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I wish Skybet would pass the information on to us Leigh fans with how they assume that Leigh are worthy of being at 2/1 for winning the Championship, started training this week with no coach and only 14 to 16 player's signed on, no news coming out of the club either, clearly operating the mushroom syndrome of keeping everyone in the dark and feeding them sh*t.

I think it's a defensive price on the basis that they don't know who else Leigh might have in the pipeline, whether there are any more overseas signings or St Helens loanees still to be announced yet. Wasn't there one year a while ago when Leigh fans were despairing about their squad and then about 12 players were announced on one day?

I think Leigh have a decent starting pack at the moment but look a bit under strength in the three quarters and for depth. If there are 2 or 3 genuine quality signings still to come in it their odds could be justified, if not they should be much closer to the likes of Halifax in the betting, we'll have to wait and see.

56 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

fev must have some big signings lined up , current squad are hardly favourites

The current squad certainly needs a few additions, but which team(s) would you have as favourites over Fev looking at the current likely starting 17 (leaving out the much-rumoured, but not yet announced Jesse Sene-Lafao)? It's really fairly similar to the line up from the 2nd half of last season which was far too good for all bar Toulouse.

Pickersgill
Gale
Hardcastle
Hall
Briscoe
Holmes
Chisholm
Kopczak
Jones
Lockwood
Moors
Ferres
Bussey
subs
Wildie
Davies
Hellewell
Cooper/Field

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

The current squad certainly needs a few additions, but which team(s) would you have as favourites over Fev looking at the current likely starting 17 (leaving out the much-rumoured, but not yet announced Jesse Sene-Lafao)? It's really fairly similar to the line up from the 2nd half of last season which was far too good for all bar Toulouse.

Pickersgill
Gale
Hardcastle
Hall
Briscoe
Holmes
Chisholm
Kopczak
Jones
Lockwood
Moors
Ferres
Bussey
subs
Wildie
Davies
Hellewell
Cooper/Field

I wouldn't say that's a scary squad..

A good few defeats in that lineup as there will be Leighs who will be a different team this time next week  

Great competition, and I may get a ST this year 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snowys Backside said:

I wouldn't say that's a scary squad..

I agree - there isn't a scary squad in the division at the moment - but that's not the question asked. The suggestion was that Fev were "hardly favourites", so I was asking which team would be favourites over Fev based on current squads. And yes, developments at various teams over the next few weeks could lead to some significant changes in odds.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I agree - there isn't a scary squad in the division at the moment - but that's not the question asked. The suggestion was that Fev were "hardly favourites", so I was asking which team would be favourites over Fev based on current squads. And yes, developments at various teams over the next few weeks could lead to some significant changes in odds.

Fev should be odds on, by far the best squad in the comp and are seriously targeting going unbeaten I have heard, they are that confident. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, sweaty craiq said:

Fev should be odds on, by far the best squad in the comp and are seriously targeting going unbeaten I have heard, they are that confident. 

Think we'll leave predictions of going unbeaten to others, after one owner's boast along those lines famously bit the dust on opening day at Batley a few years ago...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Think we'll leave predictions of going unbeaten to others, after one owner's boast along those lines famously bit the dust on opening day at Batley a few years ago...

Is that the year we went up? Not losing another game in the league structures until the last v Leeds away when we gave all the departing lads a run out. I'll take that again.

Couple of Lads at Wakey who told me about Fevs bragging about being miles better and going unbeaten btw

57 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

The same owner who invited Batley free of charge to the LSV?

Plenty short memories in this sport.

Edited by Tabby

6 minutes ago, Tabby said:

The same owner who invited Batley free of charge to the LSV?

Plenty short memories in this sport.

I don't know what those two things have in common. In hindsight, it was daft to suggest they might go unbeaten - setting the team up to fail. And yes, it was great of him to invite Batley supporters to the Leigh game for free. It doesn't make TPH wrong!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Pickersgill
Gale
Hardcastle
Hall
Briscoe
Holmes
Chisholm
Kopczak
Jones
Lockwood
Moors
Ferres
Bussey
subs
Wildie
Davies
Hellewell
Cooper/Field

I can’t answer your question, as Leigh's squad isn’t fulfilled.