Championship next season

Bulls have signed an exciting back line. If they're misused and we continue with 5 drives and a kick then I'll be unhappy. 

My other concern is with Broughy, his early season mobility was what I expected with a guy with over 500 games under his belt and in his late 30's, but he more than made up for it with nous and tactical kicking accuracy.

The last half dozen games he played once his bicep injury had healed, he was down on everything he had shown pre-injury. Mobility was less, kicking wasn't as accurate. Maybe he was getting less time as the forwards were carrying injuries as well, he was getting pressured more, Lilley was helping out but he was struggling. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Happy to bet Batley and or Haven arent going to be making playoffs.  They will regress to the mean after punching up.

Dunno about Batley - they've been "punching up" for a few years now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

11 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Happy to bet Batley and or Haven arent going to be making playoffs.  They will regress to the mean after punching up.

Newcastle look like they are going to be very strong and first option for ambitious full time players who want lots of game time and not scrabbling around at the bottom of SL. 

Remains to be seen how some of these clubs recruit or loan.  I said at the beginning of Leigh’s efforts in SL that finishing bottom might have a knock on effect for their recruitment in the Champs.  We’ll see.  If they do ok, I think they’ll be favourites with Fev and Fax (who I thought underachieved).  Batley will be in the mix, they have a good coach and are taking on decent players now.

York? Again depends on recruitment as does Bradford, but, imo, the Bulls need another coach.  They won’t get one but I think they need freshening up altogether.  

The only outlier will be Newcastle.  They are going FT and are buying now plus they’ve some decent academy lads. The year after, maybe, but not 2022 for me.

London?  I think it’s go back to Go with them for next year.

• Like 1

Well rumour doing the rounds is that DR is back next year and Leigh are already lining up an agreement with Saints, no idea if there is any truth in it but if DR is back will change the complexion of the championship again 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

Well rumour doing the rounds is that DR is back next year and Leigh are already lining up an agreement with Saints, no idea if there is any truth in it but if DR is back will change the complexion of the championship again 

I really hope it doesn’t,there are no positives in it for the Championship.

Surely a “big” club like Leigh shouldn’t be relying on Saints charity to build a promotion challenging squad.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Griff said:

Dunno about Batley - they've been "punching up" for a few years now.

True but add Newcastle and every year you have a smaller budget best players get pinched. Clubs got a nice level of stability though. I´m looking forward to seeing what Eagles can do on and off the field in their first season in a proper stadium. 

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Remains to be seen how some of these clubs recruit or loan.  I said at the beginning of Leigh’s efforts in SL that finishing bottom might have a knock on effect for their recruitment in the Champs.  We’ll see.  If they do ok, I think they’ll be favourites with Fev and Fax (who I thought underachieved).  Batley will be in the mix, they have a good coach and are taking on decent players now.

York? Again depends on recruitment as does Bradford, but, imo, the Bulls need another coach.  They won’t get one but I think they need freshening up altogether.  

The only outlier will be Newcastle.  They are going FT and are buying now plus they’ve some decent academy lads. The year after, maybe, but not 2022 for me.

London?  I think it’s go back to Go with them for next year.

On Bulls I´m pretty content with on field. Off field we´re stuck but John gives us something the club hasn´t had for yonks. A bit of stability and players seem to not look at us as a basket case so hope he can take us through to the restructure and then look to move on once the new system (or not) is in place. 

London are done. They were just a few years late on that Plough Lane (a what if is that SL season if they were their what might have been). London is just too expensive to build a rugby league team for the money involved in the sport. Average house in Newcastle : 228,000 House Price in London: 650,000. 

Edited by ShropshireBull

38 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I really hope it doesn’t,there are no positives in it for the Championship.

Surely a “big” club like Leigh shouldn’t be relying on Saints charity to build a promotion challenging squad.

I hope not too and may not be true let’s just wait and see 

41 minutes ago, Neil Monaghan said:

Joe wardle confirmed signing for Leigh

It will be interesting to see Newcastle's signings as from rumours it seems to be a mix of good Championship players and ambitious younger SL players who want regular game time. For Leigh it seems at the moment they are bringing in older end SL players who may no longer be hungry for success.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Blues Ox said:

It will be interesting to see Newcastle's signings as from rumours it seems to be a mix of good Championship players and ambitious younger SL players who want regular game time. For Leigh it seems at the moment they are bringing in older end SL players who may no longer be hungry for success.

Yep - smacks retirement gig to me

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

To be fair, Joe Wardle is only just 30! If he stays fit he's a good pickup for Leigh and the Championship.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

The current average age of Leighs 7 announced players to date is 28, hardly a retirement village and the oldest in Tomkins has just come off a pretty good run of form to the SL GF. 

Ben Reynolds - 27
Joe Mellor - 30
Adam Sidlow - 33
Jai Whitbread (Quota) - 23
Joe Wardle - 30
Sam Stone (Quota) - 24
Joel Tomkins - 34

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

You could argue that as you're going to have to relocate up to Newcastle, it's likely to be younger players who don't have a house to sell and an existing career outside the game to give up.

Newcastle picked up several recent Widnes academy players in the last couple if seasons, but the experienced former SL players - Joe Mellor, Tom Gilmour etc. ended up at M62 clubs.

Leigh have first pick of Wigan, Saints, Wire, Salford players dropping down to championship. Newcastle don't.

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

London are done. They were just a few years late on that Plough Lane (a what if is that SL season if they were their what might have been). London is just too expensive to build a rugby league team for the money involved in the sport. Average house in Newcastle : 228,000 House Price in London: 650,000. 

If London even have 17 players signed up for the 1st game next season it will be a surprise, unless they are mainly students who have student accomodation / student loads, and use RL to supplement Student income (other than working in a bar \ shop etc)

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

True but add Newcastle and every year you have a smaller budget best players get pinched. Clubs got a nice level of stability though. I´m looking forward to seeing what Eagles can do on and off the field in their first season in a proper stadium. 

Are you're aware of what's actually being built?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Newcastle are full time.   They're not necessarily fishing in the same player pool as part time Batley.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

17 minutes ago, crashmon said:

If London even have 17 players signed up for the 1st game next season it will be a surprise, unless they are mainly students who have student accomodation / student loads, and use RL to supplement Student income (other than working in a bar \ shop etc)

London have just lost young forward Jacob Jones to Leigh