Jump to content

Championship next season


Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

We are announcing a retention at 5pm. If it's Ebon Scurr it'll be like a new signing as he's linked to Hull and Saints. 

Joe Keyes to Halifax another solid signing Blue Ox?

Yeah happy with that and with Aston and Joufrett still to come its probably the best half back combo we will have had in about 10 years. We are looking pretty strong with the signings we have made but would still like a bit of size up front beside Gee and Gwaze.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

They will be lucky to field a competitive team the number of players they have lost.

They will be lucky to field a  team the number of players they have lost

Corrected it for you :).. The only team we will be competitive with will be the skolars and WWR, but it will be 2023 when we play them

Edited by crashmon
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Yeah happy with that and with Aston and Joufrett still to come its probably the best half back combo we will have had in about 10 years. We are looking pretty strong with the signings we have made but would still like a bit of size up front beside Gee and Gwaze.

O yeah forgot about them too. 

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, The Blues Ox said:

They will be lucky to field a competitive team the number of players they have lost.

Yeah seems that way,losing established players back to their northern roots is bad enough but they are now losing players who have come through the academy,looks like a club nearing the end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, binosh said:

Strange signing for Leigh Jacob Jones, I wonder if the incoming coach has worked with him previously?

The fact the Ward was name checked in the press release does suggest he may be incoming. Certainly hope so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Is the Championship Salary Cap Tracker something (else) he's made up in his head as I doubt that information will be in the public domain?

Translation: he's miffed that Fax have signed Keyes and that tweet is just an excuse to claim that Bradford are slightly ahead of them in the spending stakes.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Translation: he's miffed that Fax have signed Keyes and that tweet is just an excuse to claim that Bradford are slightly ahead of them in the spending stakes.

Another good one was saying Fax and Fev were in for Lilley. Fax had already signed 3 new halfbacks for the coming season at this point. Taking Keyes from under their noses were pretty sweet though after we early did it to them before he went to Hull Kr. To be fair Patton is not a bad alternative though as their second choice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Another good one was saying Fax and Fev were in for Lilley. Fax had already signed 3 new halfbacks for the coming season at this point. Taking Keyes from under their noses were pretty sweet though after we early did it to them before he went to Hull Kr. To be fair Patton is not a bad alternative though as their second choice.

Flanagan resigns. Tbh I'd just have Scurr from first teamers this year for us and look elsewhere and youth. Gallagher left but there's O Hanlon and Ho to begin with. Matty Race might be worth another year at North Wales.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/10/2021 at 21:31, Tabby said:

Yes, they need to realise simply going FT carries a burden with PT to FT. The club will always now have to look at FT prospects and place FT contracts in their hands. That comes at a cost which isn’t funded. Requires long term investment with with deep pockets.

 

Is going FT part of the player pathway from academy upwards.

Is FT also to recruit some seasoned pros.

I cant see them being any eorse than this season at worst!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Is the Championship Salary Cap Tracker something (else) he's made up in his head as I doubt that information will be in the public domain?

Well he’s announced Oliver Roberts being transferred but Roberts is saying he knows nothing about it.  Same old.

I saw that you question was asked but no reply was the answer.  Maybe now?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Davo5 said:

I really hope it doesn’t,there are no positives in it for the Championship.

Surely a “big” club like Leigh shouldn’t be relying on Saints charity to build a promotion challenging squad.

And neither should Fev, or Fax or 'Haven or any other Championship Club, but considering that next year 'reserves' are back in SL one wonders what calibre of players will be available to DR, realistically if both first team and reserves play in the same week that is 36 player's required by the club.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most seasons we have one clear overachiever and one big underachiever - in my opinion in 2021 that was Whitehaven (many tipped them for relegation) and York (on the field at least). 
 

I can’t wait for 2022, I have a funny feeling Barrow will go well, when they were in the Championship in 2019 they weren’t actually that bad. Not sure they’ll be quite as good as Whitehaven this season but wouldn’t surprise me if they are within touching distance of the playoffs.
 

My tip for underachiever (bookmark this page now, Fax fans!) is Halifax, there’s just something about their signings which make me think they’ll struggle to gel quickly. Maybe it’s because I saw York lose both their first choice halfbacks at the end of 2020 then struggle most of 2021 in that position, and now Halifax are losing Liam Harris and supposedly Connor Robinson from that position. 
 

I hope York can get into the playoffs...one huge advantage for 2022 is our new halfbacks (Liam Harris, Jamie Ellis) have both previously played for York, have both played together and aren’t coming from London and Australia. Just hope they can stay injury free.

Fev to finish top, Leigh and Bradford to be up there, Newcastle too. I’m tipping Workington, Sheffield, London and Dewsbury to struggle..2 from those 4 to go down. Widnes/Whitehaven/Batley/Halifax/Barrow mid table. 
 

My hopes for Championship 2022 (apart from York to go well) are no changes to the format halfway through. I hope clubs embrace the Monday night matches on Premier and see those games as fantastic opportunities to present their club on live TV instead of moaning about lack of away fans. And no talk of conspiracies to keep clubs out of SL! 🤐

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

And neither should Fev, or Fax or 'Haven or any other Championship Club, but considering that next year 'reserves' are back in SL one wonders what calibre of players will be available to DR, realistically if both first team and reserves play in the same week that is 36 player's required by the club.

Funny thing H when FEV's reserves were disbanded some of our reserve players went to play for leeds reserves while leeds sent us players on DR  including Callum McLelland 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

They will be lucky to field a competitive team the number of players they have lost.

The head coach appointment and the exodus of players is very strange indeed. They are really going to struggle next year 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AB Knight said:

Most seasons we have one clear overachiever and one big underachiever - in my opinion in 2021 that was Whitehaven (many tipped them for relegation) and York (on the field at least). 
 

I can’t wait for 2022, I have a funny feeling Barrow will go well, when they were in the Championship in 2019 they weren’t actually that bad. Not sure they’ll be quite as good as Whitehaven this season but wouldn’t surprise me if they are within touching distance of the playoffs.
 

My tip for underachiever (bookmark this page now, Fax fans!) is Halifax, there’s just something about their signings which make me think they’ll struggle to gel quickly. Maybe it’s because I saw York lose both their first choice halfbacks at the end of 2020 then struggle most of 2021 in that position, and now Halifax are losing Liam Harris and supposedly Connor Robinson from that position. 
 

I hope York can get into the playoffs...one huge advantage for 2022 is our new halfbacks (Liam Harris, Jamie Ellis) have both previously played for York, have both played together and aren’t coming from London and Australia. Just hope they can stay injury free.

Fev to finish top, Leigh and Bradford to be up there, Newcastle too. I’m tipping Workington, Sheffield, London and Dewsbury to struggle..2 from those 4 to go down. Widnes/Whitehaven/Batley/Halifax/Barrow mid table. 
 

My hopes for Championship 2022 (apart from York to go well) are no changes to the format halfway through. I hope clubs embrace the Monday night matches on Premier and see those games as fantastic opportunities to present their club on live TV instead of moaning about lack of away fans. And no talk of conspiracies to keep clubs out of SL! 🤐

Batley mid table wow… if we keep everyone fit we’ll be up there again Lingard has made us a tough team again to beat… Meadows and Whiteley will add something to our side with our other new players… just need to sort our home form out 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

Batley mid table wow… if we keep everyone fit we’ll be up there again Lingard has made us a tough team again to beat… Meadows and Whiteley will add something to our side with our other new players… just need to sort our home form out 

Always been the same , anybody not on top form will struggle to beat the Dogs 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

He's a very very good player. Has loads of potential 

I’ll think you’ll find that @binoshis drawing the fact a conversation has taken place between Ward and Chester regarding the signing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

The fact the Ward was name checked in the press release does suggest he may be incoming. Certainly hope so.

No chance he is very happy living down south in Surrey with his wife.

Won't be happening.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, AB Knight said:

My tip for underachiever (bookmark this page now, Fax fans!) is Halifax, there’s just something about their signings which make me think they’ll struggle to gel quickly. Maybe it’s because I saw York lose both their first choice halfbacks at the end of 2020 then struggle most of 2021 in that position, and now Halifax are losing Liam Harris and supposedly Connor Robinson from that position. 
 

Bookmarked. Not really but you are more than welcome to your opinion. 

Im not sure I get the comparison with the half back situation. We lost both first choice half backs before last season and Robinson and Harris did not play that many games together with both Grix and JWH filling in as Robinson spent a good chunk of the season out with a broken foot and when he did come back Harris then got a thigh injury that kept him out for all but 2 games. I do rate Harris though, in attack he seems to have the knack of creating something when its needed but in defence he is shockingly bad, probably up there with Graham Holroyd from who I have seen at Fax, so its just if the good outweighs the bad. I think it does with Harris though but Robinson I don't rate in the slightest and if he does leave I will be non plussed.

The flip side is that if the signings of Keyes, Joufrett, and Aston do all trun out to be true it is potentially a major upgrade from the two that are leaving. Especially if the Joufreet signing is true then it does excite me as to the type of rugby we might play with Keyes and him in the halves. A backline of JWH, Walmsley, Worthington, Arudel, Saltonstall, Keyes, and Joufrett looks pretty decent but it is in the forwards where I think we need to make the biggest improvements. Im unsure if the rumoured signings so far will do that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...