Championship next season

Most of the Broncos players heading north really aren't anything out of the ordinary in my opinion, yet they all seem to be heading towards teams with top 6 Championship aspirations or in a couple of cases SL teams. I think most of them will be useful squad players rather than significant signings, but I might be wrong.

18 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Always been the same , anybody not on top form will struggle to beat the Dogs 

To be fair, not always.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

20 hours ago, AB Knight said:

Most seasons we have one clear overachiever and one big underachiever - in my opinion in 2021 that was Whitehaven (many tipped them for relegation) and York (on the field at least). 

I can’t wait for 2022, I have a funny feeling Barrow will go well, when they were in the Championship in 2019 they weren’t actually that bad. Not sure they’ll be quite as good as Whitehaven this season but wouldn’t surprise me if they are within touching distance of the playoffs.

My tip for underachiever (bookmark this page now, Fax fans!) is Halifax, there’s just something about their signings which make me think they’ll struggle to gel quickly. Maybe it’s because I saw York lose both their first choice halfbacks at the end of 2020 then struggle most of 2021 in that position, and now Halifax are losing Liam Harris and supposedly Connor Robinson from that position. 

I hope York can get into the playoffs...one huge advantage for 2022 is our new halfbacks (Liam Harris, Jamie Ellis) have both previously played for York, have both played together and aren’t coming from London and Australia. Just hope they can stay injury free.

Fev to finish top, Leigh and Bradford to be up there, Newcastle too. I’m tipping Workington, Sheffield, London and Dewsbury to struggle..2 from those 4 to go down. Widnes/Whitehaven/Batley/Halifax/Barrow mid table. 

My hopes for Championship 2022 (apart from York to go well) are no changes to the format halfway through. I hope clubs embrace the Monday night matches on Premier and see those games as fantastic opportunities to present their club on live TV instead of moaning about lack of away fans. And no talk of conspiracies to keep clubs out of SL! 🤐

If plans are for 2 x 10 SL - then nobody goes down.

2 x 10 SL1 and SL2 and the remaining 16 in championship????

Ahead of sarting to announce the new signings from next Thursday the Thunder have confirmed the 13 players who have left the club:

Bob Beswick, Alex Clegg, Reece Dean, Kieran Gill, Ollie Gowing, Kieran Hudson, Liam McAvoy, Cole Oakley, Calum Turner, Cian Tyrer, Sam Wilde, Matty Wright and Lewis Young

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NERugbyDad said:

Ahead of sarting to announce the new signings from next Thursday the Thunder have confirmed the 13 players who have left the club:

Bob Beswick, Alex Clegg, Reece Dean, Kieran Gill, Ollie Gowing, Kieran Hudson, Liam McAvoy, Cole Oakley, Calum Turner, Cian Tyrer, Sam Wilde, Matty Wright and Lewis Young

Hudson & McAvoy have signed for Whitehaven.

2 hours ago, NERugbyDad said:

Sam Wilde back to Widnes was announced in August. Kieran Gill to Bradford I think?

4 minutes ago, binosh said:

Toulouse striking fear into the heart of SL with the signing of journeyman James Cunningham.

Cover/rotation for Lloyd White presumably, rather than first choice?

6 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Most of the Broncos players heading north really aren't anything out of the ordinary in my opinion, yet they all seem to be heading towards teams with top 6 Championship aspirations or in a couple of cases SL teams. I think most of them will be useful squad players rather than significant signings, but I might be wrong.

I'll have to disagree here. Many of the players leaving are still young and have great potential, many of them will get much better. I'd have thought these are the types of players Broncos would have wanted to keep. They also got rid of a very key player in James Meadows who's a brilliant player, he'll go well at Batley 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

I'll have to disagree here. Many of the players leaving are still young and have great potential, many of them will get much better. I'd have thought these are the types of players Broncos would have wanted to keep. They also got rid of a very key player in James Meadows who's a brilliant player, he'll go well at Batley 

Yes, players will improve. Better facilities and coaching  go a long way.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, clogdance said:

Davo5 is not happy with that Binosh. You've laughed at a signing by an expansion team. 😇

A “Superleague” expansion team,Leigh fans finding it tough in the Championship already I see,real shame that.

Edited by Davo5
  • Confused 1

I’d have to agree with Davo5 Lachlan Walmesley is a decent young prospect who backed himself with a team expected to struggle, be interesting to watch his development at Halifax and see if he can back it up with a bit more pressure on him. 

Surprised with the Cunningham signing as no better than White/Pelissier and I’ve heard of a couple more targets for Toulouse and they are more squad fillers than SL starters.

looks like they may go with what they’ve got and back themselves, very similar to Leigh ironically, I hope they don’t waste their chance in SL after all the hard work to get there.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Fair enough. I'm just struggling to get my head around the fact that Broncos looked pretty weak in 2021 and failed to reach the play-offs yet already three of their players have signed for SL clubs (plus they have 2 more who were on loan from SL clubs in 2021), and around six or seven others have signed for Championship clubs who will have play-off ambitions, with perhaps more to follow.

As for Meadows, I thought he looked very promising when he first appeared for London in 2018 but I've watched him a few times this year and he had more poor games than good ones (from the ones I saw anyway). Maybe Craig Lingard will get something out of him though as Gilmore has probably had the best season of his career in 2021.

Could also be once players knew London were winding down naturally they knew it was over anyway. 

We say people are professionals but any work environment where people are told they wont have a job in six months this will happen. 

Shame for London and RL but unless they owned a ground or we had franchising just too difficult to see how it can be sustainable. 

• Like 1

I have been saying for years that clubs need to own their own grounds, not only because they can use them to generate money but also you have control over what happens unlike what is happening with Wigan. However that being said it would be virtually impossible for London to do anything with the property prices down there.