Championship next season

22 hours ago, Derwent Parker said:

If plans are for 2 x 10 SL - then nobody goes down.

2 x 10 SL1 and SL2 and the remaining 16 in championship????

I don’t think you will be far off there bud.

I think we will see Super League 1(or Elite)and a Super League 2,both divisions of 10 in each.

And my feeling is that both those divisions will be a franchise type,based on various criteria. And I think all the current clubs will be invited to apply for a spot in the top 20.

15 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

I don’t think you will be far off there bud.

I think we will see Super League 1(or Elite)and a Super League 2,both divisions of 10 in each.

And my feeling is that both those divisions will be a franchise type,based on various criteria. And I think all the current clubs will be invited to apply for a spot in the top 20.

But this got voted down by SL so why would the SL chairmen vote it through now.

It might be what the lower league teams want but it will never happen

4 hours ago, binosh said:

I’d have to agree with Davo5 Lachlan Walmesley is a decent young prospect who backed himself with a team expected to struggle, be interesting to watch his development at Halifax and see if he can back it up with a bit more pressure on him. 

Surprised with the Cunningham signing as no better than White/Pelissier and I’ve heard of a couple more targets for Toulouse and they are more squad fillers than SL starters.

looks like they may go with what they’ve got and back themselves, very similar to Leigh ironically, I hope they don’t waste their chance in SL after all the hard work to get there.

Its fair enough to give the lads that got them there a crack at it.

To be fair a lot of them have SL experience and they did well in the middle 8s before signing these experienced players.

I can see Salford going down and Wakefield have more lives than a cat

7 minutes ago, yipyee said:

But this got voted down by SL so why would the SL chairmen vote it through now.

It might be what the lower league teams want but it will never happen

Tbh I don’t know what has or hasn’t been voted on or otherwise.

Cone to think of it I don’t think the clubs or those in charge of this sport could make a decision.I doubt they would be able to run a bath.

On 14/10/2021 at 11:02, Griff said:

Dunno about Batley - they've been "punching up" for a few years now.

Delighted to see people ignoring Batley, it is exactly how we like it. What usually happens is we have a decent season, then our best are taken by other clubs. Not this season, the spine of the team has been retained with additions to come. That said, next season seems to be heading to be the most competitive ever.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

Must be good if you wanted to hang on to him.

Yeah, definitely one of our most consistent forwards this season. Was really hoping we could have kept him, along With Mark Ioane (still no news on the latter)

• Thanks 1

On 15/10/2021 at 16:18, NERugbyDad said:

Ahead of sarting to announce the new signings from next Thursday the Thunder have confirmed the 13 players who have left the club:

Bob Beswick, Alex Clegg, Reece Dean, Kieran Gill, Ollie Gowing, Kieran Hudson, Liam McAvoy, Cole Oakley, Calum Turner, Cian Tyrer, Sam Wilde, Matty Wright and Lewis Young

Can't believe that Josh Woods has been retained, when I have seen them they have been lacking in the halves, having watched Woods very closely for a couple of seasons he is not the guy who will lead them around the park.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Can't believe that Josh Woods has been retained, when I have seen them they have been lacking in the halves, having watched Woods very closely for a couple of seasons he is not the guy who will lead them around the park.

He has a very good kicking game so maybe with a more dynamic half back partner he'll be able to have a better impact 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

He has a very good kicking game so maybe with a more dynamic half back partner he'll be able to have a better impact 

Have you ever had the pleasure/or otherwise of watching him play regularly? If you have then there is a lot of his general play that you are missing, if you have seen him very rarely and think that his kicking game (which I would term barely adequate, not very good as you describe) should be enough to take Newcastle onwards and upwards I doubt that is going to happen.

There is a good player in that body somewhere and he has a lot of the skills required, Wigan saw that in him initially in awarding him a contract and a giving him some SL games, but they deemed he needed more time to develop and sent him to Swinton then to Leigh on loan where is 'progress' would be monitored,  the fact that his contract was not renewed by Wigan and Leigh subsequently saw no place for him is the reason he is plying his trade at Newcastle, has I said initially he is not the guy to lead Newcastle around the park, it would be good if he came good and shoved the words down my throat, but I just can't see it.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, distantdog said:

Delighted to see people ignoring Batley, it is exactly how we like it. What usually happens is we have a decent season, then our best are taken by other clubs. Not this season, the spine of the team has been retained with additions to come. That said, next season seems to be heading to be the most competitive ever.

That's true D and  it's usually us but at the minute you got nobody who FEV want       🤣🤣🤣🤣

31 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Have you ever had the pleasure/or otherwise of watching him play regularly? If you have then there is a lot of his general play that you are missing, if you have seen him very rarely and think that his kicking game (which I would term barely adequate, not very good as you describe) should be enough to take Newcastle onwards and upwards I doubt that is going to happen.

There is a good player in that body somewhere and he has a lot of the skills required, Wigan saw that in him initially in awarding him a contract and a giving him some SL games, but they deemed he needed more time to develop and sent him to Swinton then to Leigh on loan where is 'progress' would be monitored,  the fact that his contract was not renewed by Wigan and Leigh subsequently saw no place for him is the reason he is plying his trade at Newcastle, has I said initially he is not the guy to lead Newcastle around the park, it would be good if he came good and shoved the words down my throat, but I just can't see it.

Don't rate him then? 😂😂

1 minute ago, The Daddy said:

Don't rate him then? 😂😂

He has the skills , but something else lacking , the best HB's the world has seen have had an attitude , an arrogance , a confidence , Josh just doesn't seem to have that 

48 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

He has the skills , but something else lacking , the best HB's the world has seen have had an attitude , an arrogance , a confidence , Josh just doesn't seem to have that 

A very nice and polite way of putting it Gubby, and I agree wholeheartedly.

17 hours ago, Stirlin said:

Must be good if you wanted to hang on to him.

I don’t understand us if we wanted to do so, it’s time for Jordan to go PT IMO, he wouldn’t get into next seasons pack and at 30 you don’t want to be a back up travelling from Yorkshire everyday. Has always given his all for us and I personally wish him well

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

I don’t understand us if we wanted to do so, it’s time for Jordan to go PT IMO, he wouldn’t get into next seasons pack and at 30 you don’t want to be a back up travelling from Yorkshire everyday. Has always given his all for us and I personally wish him well

I will be delighted if the quality of next's season pack is of sufficient quality to keep him out, he as you say gives his all and leaves nothing out on the field, been a consistent performer in a poorly performing team this past season in SL, will do very well in the Championship.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I will be delighted if the quality of next's season pack is of sufficient quality to keep him out, he as you say gives his all and leaves nothing out on the field, been a consistent performer in a poorly performing team this past season in SL, will do very well in the Championship.

Looked a eally good forward who didn’t look out of place in Superleague,strange decision to let him go.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Looked a eally good forward who didn’t look out of place in Superleague,strange decision to let him go.

Not the quality we need going forward - he looked well out of place in SL but his commitment was not in question

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

We have already a pack that looks like

Sidlow  - (Hooker Needed)- Green

Tomkins/Wardle - Stone/Jones

Whitbread

and that pack is better than we turned out in SL!!

Please tell me where Thompson gets in, especially as we are less then half way declaring the squad.

9 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Not the quality we need going forward - he looked well out of place in SL but his commitment was not in question

Going forward,you’ve signed a 34 yr old Joel Tomkins.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

From Matt Shaws reports it looked like we did offer him a full time deal but possible he's opted to go PT with York with one eye on life after rugby. Personally I'd be happy to have him stay but he's not that big of a loss with the players we've been picking up. I'm more concerned about what our outside backs and hooking options will look like considering there isn't a wealth of options available