Championship this season

31 minutes ago, Fev1983 said:

I don’t think we will be as strong next year, the players lost versus the players gained, I think it will be a 5 horse race this year rather then 2.

I cant see it myself. For the chasing pack this year though they had to spring 2 surprise results to make it to SL where as next season it will likely only have to be 1 which will make it interesting.

50 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I expected Fev to be even stronger next year but its looking like that may not be the case. At a guess I bet they have run in to problems trying to sort contracts out not knowing if it were going to be SL or Championship. That said I still expect them to be the best side by some distance in the division. It may give some hope to the chasing pack this year.

Edit: I have forgotten about dual reg so even though their initial squad may look thinner its probably not going to work out that way. As you were.

Will the DR they recieve from wherever but for the sake of discussion let's say it's Leeds be up to the same standard as previously considering that Reserve teams are back next season - unless that has changed again which would be most unlike Rugby League!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I expected Fev to be even stronger next year but its looking like that may not be the case. At a guess I bet they have run in to problems trying to sort contracts out not knowing if it were going to be SL or Championship. That said I still expect them to be the best side by some distance in the division. It may give some hope to the chasing pack this year.

Edit: I have forgotten about dual reg so even though their initial squad may look thinner its probably not going to work out that way. As you were.

The fact that we have let fringe players such as Spence, Sweeting, Beckett and Summers leave for other clubs suggests we are not going with the huge squad from last year and thus might well be using DR (or loans) quite a bit again, as seems also to be the case with Leigh and presumably other clubs will be doing it as well given the much-reduced funding.

Certainly the net losses outweigh the net gains at Fev so far but that was always going to be the case with Halton and Harrison signing SL contracts a long time ago and Brown returning to Australia, the 2021 squad was always going to take a few hits and be hard to replicate.

That said...it can be a mistake to judge the strength of a squad in October, lots of our better signings in recent years have been announced in December or even January (eg Kopczak and Moors last year). I'm sure Leigh will have plenty more to unveil in the coming weeks and maybe other clubs too.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Will the DR they recieve from wherever but for the sake of discussion let's say it's Leeds be up to the same standard as previously considering that Reserve teams are back next season - unless that has changed again which would be most unlike Rugby League!

SL will always do what is best for SL and that will be letting players play in the Championship over some half baked reserve team competition.

• Like 1

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

I don't think reserve RL will have any impact on DR if it does return. SL teams would much rather have their fringe guys playing in tough, competitive games in front of crowds than reserve games, which is why in 2020 when the reserve comp was still going some of Fev's young fringe players played for Leeds reserves whilst Leeds fringe players played on DR for Fev.

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

That said I still expect them to be the best side by some distance in the division.

Why are you so down on Leigh this year TBO? They will be full time, their pack already looks strong, Mellor's a quality half back at Championship level and they probably have more signings to come. They are going to end up spending a lot more than anyone else, that's for sure. Whether Chester and whoever their new coach is manages to convert that big spending into a dominant team, we'll have to wait and see.

6 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

SL will always do what is best for SL and that will be letting players play in the Championship over some half baked reserve team competition.

4 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I don't think reserve RL will have any impact on DR if it does return. SL teams would much rather have their fringe guys playing in tough, competitive games in front of crowds than reserve games, which is why in 2020 when the reserve comp was still going some of Fev's young fringe players played for Leeds reserves whilst Leeds fringe players played on DR for Fev.

Very plausible answers,

I remember when the 'A' team games had some meaning to them, winning was everthing and losing frowned upon.

It was the place the young un's wanted to make a name for themselves and the old heads would show who was the boss, obviously it was slower than first team rugby so more time to get hold of the opposition and plenty of experience to do all the inside niggling, it really was the school of hard knocks and a perfect enviroment to learn the trade.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Why are you so down on Leigh this year TBO? They will be full time, their pack already looks strong, Mellor's a quality half back at Championship level and they probably have more signings to come. They are going to end up spending a lot more than anyone else, that's for sure. Whether Chester and whoever their new coach is manages to convert that big spending into a dominant team, we'll have to wait and see.

A good dose of looking at needs to be in the direction of the backs, Ian Thornely, Matty Russell, Junior S'u and Ryan Brierley would all have been proficient in the Championship but all gone to pastures new.

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Very plausible answers,

I remember when the 'A' team games had some meaning to them, winning was everthing and losing frowned upon.

It was the place the young un's wanted to make a name for themselves and the old heads would show who was the boss, obviously it was slower than first team rugby so more time to get hold of the opposition and plenty of experience to do all the inside niggling, it really was the school of hard knocks and a perfect enviroment to learn the trade.

Think I'm also right in saying that the Academy comp reverts to being U18s this year because the reserve grade is back. The reserve grade games are presumably going to be filled with 19-year-olds who are just too old for Academy games but who clubs don't want to release yet, they are likely to closely resemble Academy games.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

I think where Fev are lacking a little at the moment is a bit of extra size in the forwards, a couple of big props. Unfortunately so is everyone else.

Will be a good division for sure next season. Looking forward to it. 

Imperative Leigh keep some FT regulars as that makes a real difference as Toulouse will feel some pain next season as the weeks go on. 

It won't be as one sided as last season for sure. The top 4 will all take points off each other. Fev have the best back line, Leigh probably the pack, but it's team work, grit and ethic that get you over the line in the Championship. Just ask Batley! 

3 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Will be a good division for sure next season. Looking forward to it. 

Imperative Leigh keep some FT regulars as that makes a real difference as Toulouse will feel some pain next season as the weeks go on. 

It won't be as one sided as last season for sure. The top 4 will all take points off each other. Fev have the best back line, Leigh probably the pack, but it's team work, grit and ethic that get you over the line in the Championship. Just ask Batley! 

Fax have the best back line for me.

I am mildly surprised by the confident forecasts for Widnes and York challenging for honours. The former weren't exactly great last year and their recruitment has been OK, but no more whilst York disappointed (or were a flash in the pan previously) and have had a few ins and outs which have a debateable impact upon their squad strength. I don't think that either team will struggle but wouldn't place them as contenders for anything special.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

12 minutes ago, Tabby said:

Leigh with only 16 players signed up. Already being favoured as being in the playoffs.

Amazing.

Fev have only 17 signed right now. If you are suggesting those 2 teams won't make the play-offs, that's a bold shout.

It's still October. There will be plenty more signings still to be announced, and possibly dual reg/loans too. 

6 minutes ago, Tabby said:

Leigh with only 16 players signed up. Already being favoured as being in the playoffs.

Amazing.

Those players are

1.     Nisbett

2.    Hatton

3.   Roberts

4.    Wardle

5.    Hitchcox*

6.    Reynolds

7.     Mellor

8.    Sidlow

9.    Smith

10.   Ioane*

11.   Stone*

12.   Tomkins

13.   Whitbread*

14    Chamberlain

15.   Green

16.   Jones

* quota

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

I am mildly surprised by the confident forecasts for Widnes and York challenging for honours. The former weren't exactly great last year and their recruitment has been OK, but no more whilst York disappointed (or were a flash in the pan previously) and have had a few ins and outs which have a debateable impact upon their squad strength. I don't think that either team will struggle but wouldn't place them as contenders for anything special.

Don't think it's York fans saying we're going to be near the top, it seems one or two fans of other clubs, I for one think and hope we will finish a bit higher than this year, a bit higher than Dewsbury.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Most improved perhaps...not sure I'd swap them for Fev's...

Woodburn-Hall, Walmsley, McComb, Worthington, Saltonstall, Aston, Keyes

Pickersgill, Gale, Hardcastle, Hall, Briscoe, Holmes, Chisholm

Both looking good there. Im not sure Grix is a JWH fan but for me he is our player who can make something happen out of nothing but then we have Joufrett and Arudel to go in to that so its probably more like JWH, Walmsley, Arundel, Worthington, Saltonstall, Joufrett and Keyes. Obviously a few of those players can play multiple roles in the back line which will be good as we didn't have much option this season but McComb has really impressed me and no doubt he will get lots of game time and Im not sure Aston has come to sit in the stands. In Keyes, Joufrett, Walmsley and JWH we certainly have our most exciting backline in over a decade. Our pack isn't terible by any means but I still think we need some more numbers other than the players we know are coming in but maybe that is where Huddersfield come in.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Fev have only 17 signed right now. If you are suggesting those 2 teams won't make the play-offs, that's a bold shout.

It's still October. There will be plenty more signings still to be announced, and possibly dual reg/loans too. 

Oh yes sorry forgot about your DR obligations.