Jump to content

Championship this season


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

Is that the year we went up? Not losing another game in the league structures until the last v Leeds away when we gave all the departing lads a run out. I'll take that again.

Couple of Lads at Wakey who told me about Fevs bragging about being miles better and going unbeaten btw

Must be true then.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, distantdog said:

I don't know what those two things have in common. In hindsight, it was daft to suggest they might go unbeaten - setting the team up to fail. And yes, it was great of him to invite Batley supporters to the Leigh game for free. It doesn't make TPH wrong!

It makes him wrong in shining a shadow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

The current squad certainly needs a few additions, but which team(s) would you have as favourites over Fev looking at the current likely starting 17 (leaving out the much-rumoured, but not yet announced Jesse Sene-Lafao)? It's really fairly similar to the line up from the 2nd half of last season which was far too good for all bar Toulouse.

Pickersgill
Gale
Hardcastle
Hall
Briscoe
Holmes
Chisholm
Kopczak
Jones
Lockwood
Moors
Ferres
Bussey
subs
Wildie
Davies
Hellewell
Cooper/Field

 

My concerns are:

how good is pickersgill? Better than walker? 
pack is very old, needs a refresh 

McDermott 

having said that, sign Joey Leilua and announce promotion.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Is that the year we went up? Not losing another game in the league structures until the last v Leeds away when we gave all the departing lads a run out. I'll take that again.

Couple of Lads at Wakey who told me about Fevs bragging about being miles better and going unbeaten btw

OH sweaty you believe what's coming out of wakey mouths more fool you have you forgot for the last thirty years the same mouths have been telling you the're moving into a shiny new stadium🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Anyone not thinking Fev are massive favs even with Leigh dropping down are massively out of touch with the Championship in my opinion. Fev are the benchmark that the rest of the teams will be aiming at. 

Going on your usual prediction accuracy that's Fev fubared then.......😉

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Anyone not thinking Fev are massive favs even with Leigh dropping down are massively out of touch with the Championship in my opinion. Fev are the benchmark that the rest of the teams will be aiming at. 

I think that's a fair assumption.

The one big thing Leigh have is a few years of a FT environment which is massive in the lower leagues. Leigh should have the upper hand on conditioning because it was evident in Fev performance v Toulouse that it was well off the pace.

Leigh are virtually going to have a brand new squad, Again !. If history is anything to go by, we could be behind the 8 ball after 5 games.

Keeping last year's side would deal with Fev quite easily in my opinion.

Great competition, and it will be more open than last year for sure. Let's hope the pandemic doesn't make a mockery of things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reading these knowledgeable comments leads me to believe that we will have another two team race, followed by seven teams fighting for four play-off places with the rest scrabbling to avoid the drop. How long will it take for these divisions to become obvious?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

I think that's a fair assumption.

The one big thing Leigh have is a few years of a FT environment which is massive in the lower leagues. Leigh should have the upper hand on conditioning because it was evident in Fev performance v Toulouse that it was well off the pace.

Leigh are virtually going to have a brand new squad, Again !. If history is anything to go by, we could be behind the 8 ball after 5 games.

Keeping last year's side would deal with Fev quite easily in my opinion.

Great competition, and it will be more open than last year for sure. Let's hope the pandemic doesn't make a mockery of things.

Your optimism is somewhat greater than mine Snowy, there are 2 catagories that Leigh's new recruits will fall into in my opinion:-

1. The player's in question have not yet been made available to the market place and may only do so if their present club does not renew their contracts come the end of November.

2. The player's available without a club are so far down the pecking order that they have been overlooked by those Championship clubs who will be contesting promotion as not of the right quality for the job in hand.

The third option is to go into the transfer market whereby Leigh would have to pay the parent club a transfer fee, I don't expect Leigh will be able to afford to do that along with giving those players a full time contract.

Off course we have now got both Mr Chester and Mr Lam who should have quite a lot of contacts within the game, hopefully that may influence some to join us, but from where I have not a clue.

Where do you expect another 10 or so player's to come from who will make Leigh title contenders?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

 Leigh should have the upper hand on conditioning because it was evident in Fev performance v Toulouse that it was well off the pace.

Depends what you mean by "conditioning". Toulouse were a massive side physically and extremely well coached, especially defensively, where they improved out of all recognition this year compared to previous seasons, they are by far the best defensive team I have seen in the Championship. For instance, Fev made a lot more yardage in the Challenge Cup tie against SL Hull than they did in that play-off game against Toulouse.

Moreover, I seem to recall quite a few second-half collapses from Leigh last season, so perhaps they have less of a "conditioning" advantage than other full-time teams that have been relegated?

15 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

Leigh are virtually going to have a brand new squad, Again !.

 

Keeping last year's side would deal with Fev quite easily in my opinion.

That second comment is a lot easier to make when you consider the first one. I'll leave Fev out of it, but I certainly think Toulouse would have been more than a match for Leigh's side last year.

Anyway, as I've said more than once on this thread, we'll need to see where all the squads are in late January to get a fuller picture of what might happen.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Reading these knowledgeable comments leads me to believe that we will have another two team race, followed by seven teams fighting for four play-off places with the rest scrabbling to avoid the drop. How long will it take for these divisions to become obvious?

I don't know. As the squads stand now, I'd be amazed if Leigh and Fev came anywhere near to the 1 combined loss of Toulouse and Fev last year. Could still be more signings/loans/DRs to announce, though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Anyone not thinking Fev are massive favs even with Leigh dropping down are massively out of touch with the Championship in my opinion. Fev are the benchmark that the rest of the teams will be aiming at. 

Given Fev's performances last year , I'd suggest they are clear favourites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

That second comment is a lot easier to make when you consider the first one. I'll leave Fev out of it, but I certainly think Toulouse would have been more than a match for Leigh's side last year.

Anyway, as I've said more than once on this thread, we'll need to see where all the squads are in late January to get a fuller picture of what might happen.

Fev and Toulouse would both have faired better in SL last season than Leigh in my opinion. When Leigh got picked their squad was certainly not top 2 and even after bringing players in I still think Toulouse would have taken care of them. The Toulouse V Fev playoff game was a hard one to judge as Fev looked to have a real off day and I can't imagine prep for the trip to France was easy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Fev and Toulouse would both have faired better in SL last season than Leigh in my opinion. When Leigh got picked their squad was certainly not top 2 and even after bringing players in I still think Toulouse would have taken care of them. The Toulouse V Fev playoff game was a hard one to judge as Fev looked to have a real off day and I can't imagine prep for the trip to France was easy.

Its always good to see the ' IMO ' oxy , I probably don't disagree , other than it was a very strange season for Toulouse , if they'd have played their full compliment of games I doubt they'd have gone unbeaten , again all IMO , and if they do suffer the sort of pre season injury crisis we had , they're stuffed , again as always IMO 

Either way , all in the past , looks interesting this coming season doesn't it ? 😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/11/2021 at 09:49, The Blues Ox said:

Anyone not thinking Fev are massive favs even with Leigh dropping down are massively out of touch with the Championship in my opinion. Fev are the benchmark that the rest of the teams will be aiming at. 

😂😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...