Championship this season

I agree Featherstone are favourites but the league looks strong this season and can't see anyone going unbeaten.

The race for the playoffs will be hard fought and can't see there being two clubs cut adrift at the bottom. The Championship will be quality next season and like most I can't wait for the season to start!

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Fev are definitely looking strong. If Leigh look off the pace by comparison its going to be hard for anyone else to come close imo.

The poison chalice of 2021 Super League strikes?

What is your thinking behind that? If anything Leigh(and Fev to some extent) have had the hardest tasks of putting together a team for this season. Leigh seemed to have this belief that they were still going to be in SL next season but because of that they left recruitment late and with disruptions behind the scenes the player pool available to them has got smaller and smaller.

In comparison other teams, using Fax as an example, knew by 1/2 way through the season which league we were going to be in, we had an idea of the standard we have to aim for with Fev and Toulouse showing that, we had money in the bank and basically had first pick of not only the best part time players but also some full time players that were realistically available to us. By the time the season kicks off we will have had about 8 months or so to plan for it, Leigh are probably 3 or 4 months behind.

Now Im not wanting people to take that as me saying Fax are going to top the league or even get 2nd but we have given ourselves a fighting chance but Fev should be big favorites in my opinon and then you could throw a blanket over a lot of other teams including Leigh at least until their recruitment is done.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

What is your thinking behind that? If anything Leigh(and Fev to some extent) have had the hardest tasks of putting together a team for this season. Leigh seemed to have this belief that they were still going to be in SL next season but because of that they left recruitment late and with disruptions behind the scenes the player pool available to them has got smaller and smaller.

In comparison other teams, using Fax as an example, knew by 1/2 way through the season which league we were going to be in, we had an idea of the standard we have to aim for with Fev and Toulouse showing that, we had money in the bank and basically had first pick of not only the best part time players but also some full time players that were realistically available to us. By the time the season kicks off we will have had about 8 months or so to plan for it, Leigh are probably 3 or 4 months behind.

Now Im not wanting people to take that as me saying Fax are going to top the league or even get 2nd but we have given ourselves a fighting chance but Fev should be big favorites in my opinon and then you could throw a blanket over a lot of other teams including Leigh at least until their recruitment is done.

Yeah that's what I'm saying. Fev are pretty far ahead. Then looking at Leigh's squad you've got to think they'll be up there challenging with a new coach and the humiliation of last year as drivers. They also have financial backing few if any others in the Championship have access to when it gets to the business end of the season.

I think Leigh will be the closest to Fev over a season. I think a lot of the rest will be closer to Leigh than Leigh are to Fev.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I haven’t read the reams of comments above, so this may have already been posted, but in case not next season’s championship odds are here  Fev at 6/5 looks like good value to me.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/featherstone-favourites-top-championship-2022/?fbclid=IwAR2OZehQbeI9ToEfFViKenx8EQeHAczk3pwBqYhXawhSZL38BPmR5Oa2e6I

Those odds have changed since Lam was appointed as Leigh's new coach, Leigh have been pushed out to 33-1 cut to 5-4 favourites with Fev pushed out to 6-4. With sponsors Betfred Leigh & Fev are 11-8 joint favourites.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

winning the league is great but unimportant , as we all know making the playoffs in the championship is all that matters , peak for maybe 3 or 4 games at the business end , then superleague awaits, simples😉

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

winning the league is great but unimportant , as we all know making the playoffs in the championship is all that matters , peak for maybe 3 or 4 games at the business end , then superleague awaits, simples😉

Winning it gives home advantage. 

Just now, Eddie said:

Winning it gives home advantage. 

This. It's not impossible to overcome league position/home advantage, as London showed in the qualifiers a few years ago, but it's unquestionably an advantage to be at home, and in my view having to play two games rather than three in the play-offs is an advantage when bodies are tired at the end of a long season. It's certainly not "unimportant" to win the league, or indeed to finish second.

• Thanks 1

On 18/11/2021 at 10:39, Harry Stottle said:

Your optimism is somewhat greater than mine Snowy, there are 2 catagories that Leigh's new recruits will fall into in my opinion:-

1. The player's in question have not yet been made available to the market place and may only do so if their present club does not renew their contracts come the end of November.

2. The player's available without a club are so far down the pecking order that they have been overlooked by those Championship clubs who will be contesting promotion as not of the right quality for the job in hand.

The third option is to go into the transfer market whereby Leigh would have to pay the parent club a transfer fee, I don't expect Leigh will be able to afford to do that along with giving those players a full time contract.

Off course we have now got both Mr Chester and Mr Lam who should have quite a lot of contacts within the game, hopefully that may influence some to join us, but from where I have not a clue.

Where do you expect another 10 or so player's to come from who will make Leigh title contenders?

You’ve missed option 4 whereby Leigh already have the 10 players signed, and are waiting for the appropriate time to announce them - pretty certain they are not on the back foot scrambling for another 10 players, recruitment would have started 1/2 way through last season

I think the main advantage that the chasing pack have this season is that they will really only have to cause one close to a major upset to get to SL. Last year not only did they have to go to Fev and win there they also had to then go to France and try and get a win there. This season all I can see is Fev clear top and then about 5 or 6 teams jockeying  for the other positions with any of them capable of beating each other. 

• Like 1

Here's one good reason why the Championship will be so tough next year - Newcastle, York, Widnes and Dewsbury have good claims to have better, and more balanced squads for next year. ALL of them finished in the bottom half last year.....

That puts pressure on IMO last year's over-achievers (Haven, Bulls, Batley), but also on Sheffield and London, with their big player churns.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ColD said:

You’ve missed option 4 whereby Leigh already have the 10 players signed, and are waiting for the appropriate time to announce them - pretty certain they are not on the back foot scrambling for another 10 players, recruitment would have started 1/2 way through last season

How though? Your owner still thought he had a golden ticket for SL this coming season. Any decent SL player signed will have more than likely executed their get out options and most good part time players will probably already have been signed up when DB realised that he had been screwed over by SL. Some players that Leigh ended up keeping had not even been offered contracts with 3/4 of the SL season gone. Matty Gee as an example had already signed for Fax before Leigh eventually offered him a contract. You can't blame the players for wanting to sort their futures out and also to be fair its hard to blame Leigh given the hand they were dealt you just wonder could they have been better prepared.

Also makes you wonder who has been signing the players. If its Chester then it just shows how late to the party they are.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Also isn't it great that the Championship is looking so good next season that we can talk about it so much and its only November. Roll on the season.....then bring on 2023 after about 5 weeks in. 🤣

Not much ' chat ' about other lot above us is there ? 😉

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Not much ' chat ' about other lot above us is there ? 😉

I am sure they will do with fixtures out but champ just feels a more open competition and has more stuff going on. Felt like Fev's new manager a bigger story than Wigan's. 

Plus I would say that whereas alot of clubs in SL feel like they have stagnated  (Wakey Salford dare I say Wigan) Champ has clubs like York Newcastle Barrow who have been making progress on and off the field.  

Plus no loop fixtures and so much competition this year for 6 sports where you could make a case for 8/9 teams,  each game will matter more. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

I think the main advantage that the chasing pack have this season is that they will really only have to cause one close to a major upset to get to SL. Last year not only did they have to go to Fev and win there they also had to then go to France and try and get a win there. This season all I can see is Fev clear top and then about 5 or 6 teams jockeying  for the other positions with any of them capable of beating each other. 

That also depends on the play off structure and not sure that's been announced yet? 

That is quite simply an astonishing signing by Fev. If he turns up even half interested he will be devastating. Unbelievable.

• Like 3

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details