Championship this season

1 hour ago, georgeb1 said:

Surely if the date for the bash is confirmed a venue must also have been , as for premier sports , that's been sold as including the bash fixtures .

True G according to them 

Saturday 30th July

Championship Summer Bash - TBC Time FreeSports

Sunday 31st July

Time Match to be Confirmed

1 hour ago, POR said:

True G according to them 

Saturday 30th July

Sunday 31st July

Time Match to be Confirmed

Six games ?   Who's not playing ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

I was under the impression the clubs hadn’t voted on the deal just given the agreement to discuss?

Could that be the reason club's like mine have not contacted their season ticket holders yet with the discounted deal.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Hull FC and Bradford announce a DR partnership.

Embarrassing for the comp that most of the perceived top clubs have resorted to DR instead of building their own squads,Superleague ready 😂😂

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Embarrassing for the comp that most of the perceived top clubs have resorted to DR instead of building their own squads,Superleague ready 😂😂

Indeed SL1 and SL2 2x10 would be basically a second tier or DR and SL academy players as they are few outside SL on full time contracts.

DR to try and get promotion really papers over the cracks

• Like 4

We found it completely counterproductive and more trouble than it was worth . It’s a crutch to lean on but it can be kicked away and doesn’t really do any good . It’s very shortsighted and seems mainly for the SL outfit’s benefit . It should be outlawed as it also distorts the lower league .I don’t mind a small number of long term loans to bed into a squad , but overall  stand on your own two feet and let’s see where everyone is at the end 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, DavidM said:

We found it completely counterproductive and more trouble than it was worth . It’s a crutch to lean on but it can be kicked away and doesn’t really do any good . It’s very shortsighted and seems mainly for the SL outfit’s benefit . It should be outlawed as it also distorts the lower league .I don’t mind a small number of long term loans to bed into a squad , but overall  stand on your own two feet and let’s see where everyone is at the end 

Exactly the competition should be decided by the best team,not the one with the best DR arrangement.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

I don’t like it.  The DR scheme is open to exploitation and IMO that is what will happen.  The loan system is at least a minimum term.

DR is written up in the operational rules iirc as a pathway for young players so what it the Reserves league for?  I thought DR was being done away with and cannot think why this change in tack.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Agree with this.  Come pre Championship play offs, expect teams to be DRing up to the max to rest their best first team players.

2 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Leigh sign former NRL grand finalist and Samoa/Tonga international John Asiata, who was cut from the Canterbury Bulldogs before playing a game for them after refusing to receive a Covid vaccine.Certainly another huge name for the Champiosnhip.

Now that is a major signing , he’s skilled and very versatile . I’m surprised he’s not got a SL pick up 

I get it from Hull’s point of view. While the return of the reserves is ultimately a very positive step, the standard at Bradford and in the Championship is going to higher than that of the reserve grade so it may be better to have some playing at that level rather than at reserve grade. 

That said, I don’t really know the loan rules we have at the minute in the game but short term loans, of say a minimum of 14 days, would be more preferable than dual reg. 

23 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I get it from Hull’s point of view. While the return of the reserves is ultimately a very positive step, the standard at Bradford and in the Championship is going to higher than that of the reserve grade so it may be better to have some playing at that level rather than at reserve grade. 

That said, I don’t really know the loan rules we have at the minute in the game but short term loans, of say a minimum of 14 days, would be more preferable than dual reg. 

Loans are 28 days iirc.

DR can be arranged at a minimum of 7.5 hours (for a Thursday game) and can be just 1 game.

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Loans are 28 days iirc.

14 days now, and can then be extended on a week-by-week basis. Last year because of Covid even the 14-day minimum was removed, resulting in instances such as when Jordan Baldwinson (then at York) signed on loan for Bradford, played for them 2 days later, then played for York 7 days later.

Apart from that initial 14-day period, there's not much difference between loans and DR.

• Thanks 1

Asiata is a very skilful ball player and a great pick up for a Championship club especially on a 2 year deal and only 28 years old. Very exciting player that is a real old school loose forward. I’m glad to see this time round the club have picked up young imports rather than older names.

Him & Amone could be a devastating pair in the Championship.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

14 days now, and can then be extended on a week-by-week basis. Last year because of Covid even the 14-day minimum was removed, resulting in instances such as when Jordan Baldwinson (then at York) signed on loan for Bradford, played for them 2 days later, then played for York 7 days later.

Apart from that initial 14-day period, there's not much difference between loans and DR.

Cheers mate.  I think the 28 days will still remain in the ORs though but as you say, Covid!

Yes, the main difference is the time factor but the reason for DR is clear enough in the OP Rules and that it is to provide a pathway for young players.  Clearly it isn’t used for that all the time.

Edited by Lowdesert

54 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Leigh sign former NRL grand finalist and Samoa/Tonga international John Asiata, who was cut from the Canterbury Bulldogs before playing a game for them after refusing to receive a Covid vaccine.Certainly another huge name for the Champiosnhip.

Interesting to see how they got round the new "statement of intent" ruling from the RFL board, issued two months ago. I somehow doubt a statement of intent has been lodged for Asiata, so has this guideline been shelved?

Clubs have been urged to encourage their players to ensure full vaccination by the end of 2021. In some cases - for example new overseas players, younger players, or those with recent Covid infections - a "statement of intent" would be accepted.

2 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

What do Bradford Bulls actually bring to the game?

Biggest fanbase in the championship (and bigger than much of SL)? An academy side that's in with the SL academy teams in 2022?

Just now, Lowdesert said:

Cheers mate.  I think the 28 days will still remain in the ORs though but as you say, Covid!

Yes, the main difference is the time factor but the reason for DR is clear enough in the OP Rules and that it is to provide a pathway for young players.  Clearly it isn’t used for that.

It's been confirmed that the minimum recall time for loans will again be 14 days this year.

Completely agree re DR should be for younger players, I have suggested before on here  that some sort of guideline of, say, under 22/23 years old or fewer than 20 SL games, or similar, should apply.

• Like 1