Jump to content

Championship this season


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

‘Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it just as I am mine especially when I am pumping fortunes into the place again to get where we deserve to stay there. If you ain’t got anything positive to say then please keep it to yourself.’

What a cnut.

One of Campbell and Beaumont are going to be very disappointed at the end of the season.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, Spidey said:

It’s the same every year. Leythers should have the “it’s our year” tag instead of Warrington 😜

Leigh won the league in the 1980s. They've got several decades of waiting to catch up with Warrington 🙂

I do think we've got to the point where the relentless negativity of fans on social media is putting off wealthy people from spending their money on RL clubs. You end up with the kind of people who don't care what others think as a result. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well another Beaumont rant. In short, can be summarised as I'm the owner so I can do as I please. To the fans, keep spending and putting your money in but I don't give a damn what you think or say. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I know whataboutism is the example set by our politicians these days but this is a bit like gleefully finding a photo of Keir Starmer holding a can of beer isn't it?

Not really no, i have no interest generally in what either have to say unless its RL related and constructive.

Ive been quite vocal on here about Derek being a #### at times and embarrassing but i also feel sorry for the likes of him and Campbell and Hughes at London having to listen to ###### off fans all the time it must be draining. 

Just look at some of the names he's been called on this thread by RL fans. mental.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, binosh said:

Not really no, i have no interest generally in what either have to say unless its RL related and constructive.

Ive been quite vocal on here about Derek being a #### at times and embarrassing but i also feel sorry for the likes of him and Campbell and Hughes at London having to listen to ###### off fans all the time it must be draining. 

 

Fair enough. I did make one critical post further down, because I did think slagging the fans off in the same piece where he is asking for more season tickets to be bought etc wasn't very bright. But my main interest in his piece was two separate issues - Leigh's spending budget being documented, and the £400k parachute payment, both of which were new pieces of info (to me anyway). We have a huge thread on this forum about DR and how it might distort the Championship, but the parachute payment has hardly been discussed, yet it's of huge significance - far more beneficial than any DR arrangement.

As an aisde, most of the discontent I've read from London fans has been not directly at Hughes but at the people he has employed. Obviously the buck stops with him, but he hardly ever seems to be seen or heard.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, binosh said:

Not really no, i have no interest generally in what either have to say unless its RL related and constructive.

Ive been quite vocal on here about Derek being a #### at times and embarrassing but i also feel sorry for the likes of him and Campbell and Hughes at London having to listen to ###### off fans all the time it must be draining. 

Just look at some of the names he's been called on this thread by RL fans. mental.

Hughes has brought it on himself in terms of the people he has hired around him, which have driven off most of the fans. People forget that at the stoop we had >3K attendance and a team who usually finished mid table superleague. He took us to Barnet, which cut the attendance in half then proceeded to almost kill the club by removing funding mid season when we got hammered by Pies in the CC SF (I was there which was a very painful 80 mins). Then he got lucky with a great coach in Danny Ward, and the club started to grow again in Ealing and for 5 years we started to feel positive again and start to move forward.

Then when most people would look for stability based on the fact central funding was being cut and also being in the middle of a Pandemic, he decided to increase ST prices from 99GBP to over 240GBP, and plan a pointless move to a much more expensive stadium with a much weaker squad, and then wonders why people are not buying ST's etc.  He employes people who then ban anybody from Social Media who dare criticize anything being done, moves the squad to Part time, take 50% of the squad and the manager from a bottom 3 League 1 team, and is now reduced to handing out tickets for £1 to Dons football fans, as pretty much all of the remaining Broncos legacy base is now completly gone.

Yes without him London would probably have folded years ago, but under him, the team has gone backwards constantly in the last 10 years, apart from a few rebuilding years at Ealing.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

One of Campbell and Beaumont are going to be very disappointed at the end of the season.

Hopefully both.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, JonM said:

Leigh won the league in the 1980s. They've got several decades of waiting to catch up with Warrington 🙂

I do think we've got to the point where the relentless negativity of fans on social media is putting off wealthy people from spending their money on RL clubs. You end up with the kind of people who don't care what others think as a result. 

That's just owning a sports club to be fair.

And Social media isn't real life. Its where people go to vent frustrations, fears and anger. 

In stadiums its often very different.

When things get toxic in stadiums, then there is a problem.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, JonM said:

I do think we've got to the point where the relentless negativity of fans on social media is putting off wealthy people from spending their money on RL clubs.

If negative social media was all it took then nobody would ever be involved with soccer.

RL is an oasis of tranquil tolerance in comparison.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, crashmon said:

Hughes has brought it on himself in terms of the people he has hired around him, which have driven off most of the fans. People forget that at the stoop we had >3K attendance and a team who usually finished mid table superleague. He took us to Barnet, which cut the attendance in half then proceeded to almost kill the club by removing funding mid season when we got hammered by Pies in the CC SF (I was there which was a very painful 80 mins). Then he got lucky with a great coach in Danny Ward, and the club started to grow again in Ealing and for 5 years we started to feel positive again and start to move forward.

Then when most people would look for stability based on the fact central funding was being cut and also being in the middle of a Pandemic, he decided to increase ST prices from 99GBP to over 240GBP, and plan a pointless move to a much more expensive stadium with a much weaker squad, and then wonders why people are not buying ST's etc.  He employes people who then ban anybody from Social Media who dare criticize anything being done, moves the squad to Part time, take 50% of the squad and the manager from a bottom 3 League 1 team, and is now reduced to handing out tickets for £1 to Dons football fans, as pretty much all of the remaining Broncos legacy base is now completly gone.

Yes without him London would probably have folded years ago, but under him, the team has gone backwards constantly in the last 10 years, apart from a few rebuilding years at Ealing.

This. 👆

Hughes clearly does not want to let go but the club as a whole is suffering. Surely he could still be a part of the running of the club even if he were to seek a main investor.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Twickbronc said:

This. 👆

Hughes clearly does not want to let go but the club as a whole is suffering. Surely he could still be a part of the running of the club even if he were to seek a main investor.

 

He wouldn't find one. If he stood down the club disappears.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

He wouldn't find one. If he stood down the club disappears.

Because you´d be buying nothing and would be better setting up with a new name and brand without the historical connections. Keeping the academy would be the only reason to pick it up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/01/2022 at 08:45, The Phantom Horseman said:

Some interesting points from what was either a decisive statement or a wild rant (depending on your point of view, Beaumont himself calls it a rant) from Derek Beaumont on Leigh's FB page last night.

Especially notable - with another signing to be named in the next couple of days and a couple more in the pipeline, Beaumont says Leigh will have a £1.2 million squad (plus coaching costs). That will dwarf all other clubs' spending and is certainly an interesting revelation.

As is the fact that Leigh received a £400,000 parachute payment, on top of their central funding of £180k (which highlights how little the rest of the Championship clubs will be getting).

OMG people. Asiata lands at 11.15am tomorrow go meet him amd cheer him in. The website is broken we are having it fixed a budget has already been set into a new one that’s being built to replace it but this one is being repaired. A new social media expert from a football club is serving his notice and due to start. An NRL player didn’t get a GBE so we can’t register him he was 0.5 games short. A player will be announced in next two days that has been approved and another has signed and will be approved but we won’t announce until it has we also have another in the pipeline. 1.2million pound squad plus coaching etc for 180k central funding and 400k parachute plus all associated costs it’s a massive investment. When Adrian names his captains his players will be first to know along with squad numbers he has chose not to do that yet. Whilst our fans are what it’s all about and the most important revenue stream we don’t run the club based on your comments or needs. We are dual with saints and know what we can expect from them player wise. We are not stupid and I have a lot at stake and am very happy with the work of Karen chris Neil and Adrian in running the club. We won’t sign people that do not fit for signings sake. We will deliver for our fans when the result at the end matters I hope our fans deliver for us as up to now our sales don’t do that. I must say the negativity and slagging off is wholly unhelpful. We had an employee in tears last night due to tripe ranted on social media about merchandise. Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it just as I am mine especially when I am pumping fortunes into the place again to get where we deserve to stay there. If you ain’t got anything positive to say then please keep it to yourself as it just don’t help. Trust in those putting money time amd effort in and those with a proven track record and experience who are being paid to do a job that they will do it. We won’t fail and we ain’t perfect but I could easily come and analyse any of our critics in their lives and work and give a load of negativity. A supporters job is to support to be positive and defend the club no matter what not disrespect and criticise it. I care not if people who are of that ilk like my comments or even turn up I would sooner go to war with real people who go with what we have and fight till the end. Rant over!

 

1.2 million in a part time second tier is crazy , those parachute payments need to go. If 1.2 million is a promotion budget what´s a playoff budget , 500k ?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

1.2 million in a part time second tier is crazy , those parachute payments need to go. If 1.2 million is a promotion budget what´s a playoff budget , 500k ?

Id imagine Fax are somewhere near the latter figure, maybe a little bit less. If I had to guess I would imagine Leigh and Fev would obviously outspend us and could be near double what we spend, and then Bradford, York, and Newcastle probably spending more than us. As mentioned before at 1.2m I suspect Leigh have had to pay over the odds for some players as agents obviously knew they were struggling to get players in leaving it so late.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Id imagine Fax are somewhere near the latter figure, maybe a little bit less. If I had to guess I would imagine Leigh and Fev would obviously outspend us and could be near double what we spend, and then Bradford, York, and Newcastle probably spending more than us. As mentioned before at 1.2m I suspect Leigh have had to pay over the odds for some players as agents obviously knew they were struggling to get players in leaving it so late.

I dont understand where Bradford would get the money from tbh. 

Would have it as Leigh, Newcastle, Fev, as a top 3 then there´s a group of us (Bulls , Fax, York, maybe Widnes) where you think the cash would be similar. Either way, think one of those 4 are missing out on the playoffs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Id imagine Fax are somewhere near the latter figure, maybe a little bit less. If I had to guess I would imagine Leigh and Fev would obviously outspend us and could be near double what we spend, and then Bradford, York, and Newcastle probably spending more than us. As mentioned before at 1.2m I suspect Leigh have had to pay over the odds for some players as agents obviously knew they were struggling to get players in leaving it so late.

Can't see Fev having nearly a million pounds to spend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...