Jump to content

Championship this season


Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

They were given £2m from the council

That money is to be used on improving facilities and community use, see below copied from the announcement, which was subsequently approved.

A £6m funding pot could be set up to support the district’s three rugby league clubs, boosting grass roots rugby and community use for other sports – if proposals get the go ahead from senior councillors.

The new Rugby League Resilience Fund would offer a grant of up to £2m each for Castleford Tigers, Wakefield Trinity and Featherstone Rovers. It would support all three clubs to meet the current, and potential future, Rugby Football League (RFL) conditions on stadium facilities as well as improving community use at the sites.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


29 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

They were given £2m from the council

Sadly they’re not allowed to spend the money on players, money is aimed at improving facilities which hopefully will mean a decent set of floodlights 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

At a guess Id imagine between 800k-1m just on squad size and quality. But thats a total guess.

I also have no idea, but in previous years have seen £600k suggested and Craig Harrison suggested £600-800k, but the club has pointed out repeatedly about budgets restricted by the reduction in central funding (like every other club of course), so it might be lower than that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well in any re-organisation I hope the parachute payments go, without them the league would be even more balanced. Essentially, any club looking to step up to SL should be the clubs most able to generate revenue themselves via commercial income or owner investment, rather than clubs living off the matthews effect who don´ñt have the infrastructure or income streams to be candidate clubs. 

There´s at least two fascinating games every week in the Champ. Week 1 it´s Broncos vs Vikings and Knights vs Fev. Then Haven/Barrow , Fev/Leigh. Week 3 Fev/Widnes, Leigh/Bulls and Week 4 Knights have Leigh at home. We´re in for a treat. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I also have no idea, but in previous years have seen £600k suggested and Craig Harrison suggested £600-800k, but the club has pointed out repeatedly about budgets restricted by the reduction in central funding (like every other club of course), so it might be lower than that.

I've seen the numbers for 2017-19 and the lowest was well below the bottom of and the highest mid that range. Given the reduction in central funding since then I can't really see playing budget increasing massively since then. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I also have no idea, but in previous years have seen £600k suggested and Craig Harrison suggested £600-800k, but the club has pointed out repeatedly about budgets restricted by the reduction in central funding (like every other club of course), so it might be lower than that.

Ph, what will the £2 million be for as iam sure its not for buying/paying  players  ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Ph, what will the £2 million be for as iam sure its not for buying/paying  players  ?

No, it's not.
From the WakefieldExpress article when the news was announced:

Mark Campbell, Chairman of Featherstone Rovers stated: “We are extremely grateful to Wakefield Council for this significant support, which is a real shot in the arm for the Club after an extremely challenging period financially for the game of rugby league due to Covid.

“The council know that we have an excellent track record of the continuous development of our club so that it is sustainable and for our extensive efforts in the community, and this support will enable us to make a huge step change in accelerating our progress in these areas.”

As part of the agreement clubs will need to produce and deliver a Community Use Strategy as part of the funding agreement. This would show how the clubs will increase community use and support and encourage the growth of grass roots rugby league.

As part of this, the council will receive an annual report on the usage and the wider impact of the usage on the community.

The council would also work with the clubs to ensure they are able to demonstrate real impacts on health from the community activity it carries out.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/01/2022 at 12:37, dkw said:

He`s an absolute moron, I know we all want investment in the sport but when its from a gobby muppet like that I dont see how it helps the sport in any way.

Moron or not his financial input helps me being a fan of the club, if you told me you wouldn't accept someone equally 'Gobby' who would invest in Workington, quite frankly I wouldn't believe you.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Moron or not his financial input helps me being a fan of the club, if you told me you wouldn't accept someone equally 'Gobby' who would invest in Workington, quite frankly I wouldn't believe you.

I wouldn't accept someone equally gobby being involved with York (again!) and I know loads of other fans who feel the same. If the new guy turned out to be like Degsy, I'll do something else with my time as I want to support a club I can be proud of on and off the pitch.

I appreciate some only want instant first team results but show me a club where buying success has happened consistently with an attention seeking manchild in charge. 

  • Like 9

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Moron or not his financial input helps me being a fan of the club, if you told me you wouldn't accept someone equally 'Gobby' who would invest in Workington, quite frankly I wouldn't believe you.

Believe what you want, if some imbecile covid antivaxer gobby tool with an attitude like good old degsy owned Town then I would not be backing him in any way and would want him out.

Edited by dkw
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Essentially, any club looking to step up to SL should be the clubs most able to generate revenue themselves via commercial income or owner investment, rather than clubs living off the matthews effect who don´ñt have the infrastructure or income streams to be candidate clubs. 

 

Isn't this a bit like the criteria for getting into SL not necessarily applying to clubs already in SL ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Well in any re-organisation I hope the parachute payments go, without them the league would be even more balanced. Essentially, any club looking to step up to SL should be the clubs most able to generate revenue themselves via commercial income or owner investment, rather than clubs living off the matthews effect who don´ñt have the infrastructure or income streams to be candidate clubs. 

There´s at least two fascinating games every week in the Champ. Week 1 it´s Broncos vs Vikings and Knights vs Fev. Then Haven/Barrow , Fev/Leigh. Week 3 Fev/Widnes, Leigh/Bulls and Week 4 Knights have Leigh at home. We´re in for a treat. 

And you will witness far far more open play than the 4 drives, try to pass the ball along the line one time and then a kick that most SL club's adopt - usually without variation from one club to the next.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Simon Hall said:

I wouldn't accept someone equally gobby being involved with York (again!) and I know loads of other fans who feel the same. If the new guy turned out to be like Degsy, I'll do something else with my time as I want to support a club I can be proud of on and off the pitch.

I appreciate some only want instant first team results but show me a club where buying success has happened consistently with an attention seeking manchild in charge. 

One promotion under his watch as owner, so not the instant formula you quote.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dkw said:

Believe what you want, if some imbecile covid antivaxer gobby tool with an attitude like good old degsy owned Town then I would not be backing him in any way and would want him out.

I don't believe that for one minute, after years of scrapping the barrel surely a bit of limelight would be a welcome addition up in never never land.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I don't believe that for one minute, after years of scrapping the barrel surely a bit of limelight would be a welcome addition up in never never land.

That went well for Barrow didn’t it. 

  • Like 2

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

I don't believe that for one minute, after years of scrapping the barrel surely a bit of limelight would be a welcome addition up in never never land.

When’s the “limelight” starting at Leigh. Three years of top flight rugby in a generation, three relegations and putting the clubs very existence in jeopardy after risking it on a flimsy plan of throwing money at it and hopefully getting promoted again doesn’t strike me as limelight but I suppose success is relative. 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Jughead said:

When’s the “limelight” starting at Leigh. Three years of top flight rugby in a generation, three relegations and putting the clubs very existence in jeopardy after risking it on a flimsy plan of throwing money at it and hopefully getting promoted again doesn’t strike me as limelight but I suppose success is relative. 

 

Yeah but it's great being a fan of the club, like the 8's when Leigh were involved in all but one of them, win lose or draw the expectation awaiting the next fixture was wonderful, a club in the championship had to earn the right to get there and SL club's tried to avoid them at all costs, they made for great entertainment, and being a part of it was brill.

PS I go further than one generation was also there when we won the CC and in 81/82 when we were the best team in the country.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Moron or not his financial input helps me being a fan of the club, if you told me you wouldn't accept someone equally 'Gobby' who would invest in Workington, quite frankly I wouldn't believe you.

I’m for a gobby moron who comes into big money pouring it into Town … i buy a lottery ticket every week 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yeah but it's great being a fan of the club, like the 8's when Leigh were involved in all but one of them, win lose or draw the expectation awaiting the next fixture was wonderful, a club in the championship had to earn the right to get there and SL club's tried to avoid them at all costs, they made for great entertainment, and being a part of it was brill.

You’re partially right. It is great being a fan. It’s great being a fan of any club, even Workington. It’s great going through the same routine that you’ve done for as long as you remember. It’s great having the same conversations with people you’d otherwise wouldn’t and likely don’t always have much else in common with them bar Rugby. It’s great buying a programme from the same bloke every other week in the same spot for years and years. It’s great sharing that smile or nod with the same faces, many of them whose name you don’t actually know but see more than some of your family all due to Rugby. It’s great winning games. It’s even greater winning games you gave your side little chance of prior to the game. It’s not all about having three pretty poor years in Super League and yearning for a mouthpiece with big pockets. 

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...