Jump to content

Championship this season


Recommended Posts

Looks like Thunder are going big to get into that top 6, full time and some decent names already. It's a big gamble that can go either way, 7th could be seen as disaster and there are at least 6 other clubs capable of turning over anyone. It's going to be a very interesting season now that Toulouse are out of the way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


6 hours ago, Johnny Ringo said:

Looks like Thunder are going big to get into that top 6, full time and some decent names already. It's a big gamble that can go either way, 7th could be seen as disaster and there are at least 6 other clubs capable of turning over anyone. It's going to be a very interesting season now that Toulouse are out of the way. 

The challenging thing about f/t in the Championship is that you can only get players who actually want to become full time. Sometimes those that do are not the best options and do so for the wrong reasons. Those top Championship players who are happy picking up 10-20k part time on top of a decent job are unlikely to relocate - which is tricky.

It is a big move from Newcastle and I wish them well. Would be great to see them in the mix in 2022.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

Fev have announced that James Webster has left the club by mutual agreement.

Fev need to be careful what they wish for. Webster was doing a great job and changing a winning culture is tricky.

Edited by Scubby
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Fev need to be careful what they wish for. Webster was doing a great job and changing a winning culture is tricky.

Yes that's all true webbo oversaw a  season in the Championship where we won 20 from 21 games as well as a Cup win at Wembley for the first time since 1983. however

Mark Campbell  had been talking with James throughout the season about extending his contract for the 2022 season but  he  James has taken the decision to focus on his studies and lecturing work at Leeds Beckett.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

My lack of tech savvy meant I couldnt put a comment on it, I was trying to put - '' Is this why Fev fans aint that keen?''

Not keen is an understatement Facebook was in meltdown last night which is what Robin and I were referring to last night.

In my opinion there is no need to rush, there will be plenty of people who want the job 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

Not keen is an understatement Facebook was in meltdown last night which is what Robin and I were referring to last night.

In my opinion there is no need to rush, there will be plenty of people who want the job 

Thought you would have gone for Henderson (Wire)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, David Shepherd said:

Sad to see Webbo leave. Have very mixed feelings about his potential replacement.  Big City Brian will have some explaining to do.

I genuinely thing he's a strong bloke and won't give any explanation whatsoever..... 

He'll be engaged to do a job and on that will offer himself to be judged; not his post match comments two years ago.

We'll see. Shaw reporting it will be confirmed next week

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I genuinely thing he's a strong bloke and won't give any explanation whatsoever..... 

He'll be engaged to do a job and on that will offer himself to be judged; not his post match comments two years ago.

We'll see. Shaw reporting it will be confirmed next week

True enough.  And if he's a success we'll soon forget comments he made when working for someone else.

I'm just not sure he's the coach for us. His record at Leeds was pretty dire once the players who could win stuff in their sleep had moved on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

True enough.  And if he's a success we'll soon forget comments he made when working for someone else.

I'm just not sure he's the coach for us. His record at Leeds was pretty dire once the players who could win stuff in their sleep had moved on.

I think Craig Lingard would be a great fit and obviously has connections to the area. What he has done at Batley is outstanding and he knows the Championship inside out.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

True enough.  And if he's a success we'll soon forget comments he made when working for someone else.

I'm just not sure he's the coach for us. His record at Leeds was pretty dire once the players who could win stuff in their sleep had moved on.

Agreed entirely.  Wouldn't be my choice. As I've said earlier today, there is a risk of him being 'yesterday's man'. He's got good contacts in the game but after two years out, those contacts are also other people's contacts now.

That said, good coaches are hard to come by. We got very lucky with the very professional Ryan Carr. 

McDermott has a pedigree at this level and in SL. I'm happy to see how it develops with McDermott. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Scubby said:

The challenging thing about f/t in the Championship is that you can only get players who actually want to become full time. Sometimes those that do are not the best options and do so for the wrong reasons. Those top Championship players who are happy picking up 10-20k part time on top of a decent job are unlikely to relocate - which is tricky.

It is a big move from Newcastle and I wish them well. Would be great to see them in the mix in 2022.

All true, plus full time 5/6 days a week is not too bad if you live within 30 to 45 mins of the club, Newcastle is a fair trip so I presume a lot of them maybe relocating or in temporary digs? All disruptive and distracting whilst trying to bed in and gel what will be practically a new squad. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...