WCC 2022

Eddie

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only way I can see it happening is if we go over there. With quarantine potentially you'd assume that would mean us fielding the academy for a couple of weeks and starting the season early to fit everything in. So all in all I'd be very surprised if it took place. Shame really as even though wins are unlikely these days it's a good test of a teams strength and usually a great occasion.

I would summarise the situation as:

The logistical challenges that the game would have could be overcome if the will was there.

The will won't be there.

It won't happen.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

February 2022 is too soon for a one-off game, given there will still be quarantine of some sort even if the Aussie borders are open.  

Hopefully in 2023 we can get them over here, although as many players will have just come back from the world cup (we hope), then perhaps playing in Oz next year would be fairer.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

I really don't think either party can be arsd at this moment. Penrith are not going to disrupt their pre-season to come to England. Saints going to Australia would likely result in an absolute pasting if we are being honest. 

Think saints going over is the only real option. If they could get a warm up match against an other NRL team it may make it worthwhile.

I will say though that Saints could put up a good show against this Penrith team if they kept it tight and even bullied them a bit - love the WCC so always want to see it played - the insular Aussies though are a different bread.

13 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Think saints going over is the only real option. If they could get a warm up match against an other NRL team it may make it worthwhile.

I will say though that Saints could put up a good show against this Penrith team if they kept it tight and even bullied them a bit - love the WCC so always want to see it played - the insular Aussies though are a different bread.

I don't think that would be the case though. It would be a smash and grab in and out and Saints would be 26-0 down before they found their feet. Money talks and no one is going to pay for Saints to spend 2-3 weeks in Aus right now. 

Saints would need at least 2 warm up games and even then Penrith may just be too powerful at home to make it a contest.

19 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I don't think that would be the case though. It would be a smash and grab in and out and Saints would be 26-0 down before they found their feet. Money talks and no one is going to pay for Saints to spend 2-3 weeks in Aus right now. 

Saints would need at least 2 warm up games and even then Penrith may just be too powerful at home to make it a contest.

Well there is only one way to find out.....

12 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Can’t see it happening with Penrith. 

Why wouldn't any club want that WCC win - the Roosters were chuffed a couple of years ago when they went above Wigan in the all time winners list. Aussies really don't get international competition do they?

Just now, Mr Frisky said:

Why wouldn't any club want that WCC win - the Roosters were chuffed a couple of years ago when they went above Wigan. Aussies really don't get international competition do they?

Penrith and their coach were one of the strong advocates of the Aussies pulling out of the WC. They are fine with international sport provided it’s controlled and sold by the NRL. 

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

Why wouldn't any club want that WCC win - the Roosters were chuffed a couple of years ago when they went above Wigan in the all time winners list. Aussies really don't get international competition do they?

They do in every other sport.

Your comment is insular in itself. It’s well documented Aussies see sport as their major chance to shine on the international stage. Ashes series is huge (MCG on Boxing Day), RU tests vs NZ (when RU was popular there), Aus vs Italy in the ‘06 FIFA World Cup (over 4 million viewership for a match in the early morning), every Olympics (beating GB in the medal table being a subject in the media, which they haven’t accomplished in ages now), Aussies in boxing (Tyszu vs Hatton in Manchester), Aussies in tennis (Wimbledon), golf (Greg Norman in the Open). 

The issue in RL is they are so far ahead that as the NRL is the best, to win it makes you the best. The WCC is a nice tick, but that’s it. Think of it as an After Eight after a three course meal. If the Premier League was a RL competition, with Anfield, Old Trafford, Emirates etc. as RL stadiums, with the money and playing pool to match, you can be sure as hell the Aussies would be looking up here more often. 

Realistically speaking, Penrith and Melbourne would give any team in SL a hiding. The NRL is not only the best RL competition by a distance but the best by a long way in both codes. The standard is exceptional.

21 minutes ago, DC77 said:

Realistically speaking, Penrith and Melbourne would give any team in SL a hiding. The NRL is not only the best RL competition by a distance but the best by a long way in both codes. The standard is exceptional.

Thats the point they have to play to prove it - opinions don't matter in sport, its results from playing games.

Saints are a very very good team and can match most NRL teams - do I think they would beat Penrith- no, but until they play we never truly know. Saints on their day could beat a top NRL team and to dismiss a team with the likes of Makemson, Roby and Walmsley in is very naive and disrespectful.

You hold every NRL team up as some kind of gods- i used to watch the Roosters week in week out and they were a great team but they could also lose to anyone - just like any top team can.

You don't seem to know much about the NRL and seem to really have a blind spot about the top SL clubs, you didn't even know Cats hold the record SL crowd and were happy to play Catalans down.

The gap between SL and the NRL has widened over the past 10 years but we still have some great players and good teams over here - as the standard of the GF proved on Saturday.

Archived