WCC 2022

Eddie

3 hours ago, DC77 said:

The issue in RL is they are so far ahead that as the NRL is the best, to win it makes you the best.

That's part of the problem, but the bigger problem is that there's a total lack of drawing power outside of the NRL.

All the household name players in RL are in the NRL, or are former NRL players, and the lack of novelty of getting the rare  opportunity to see famous players from overseas badly hurts international RL in Australia.

It's very hard to sell going to see a bunch of guys whom are effectively nobodies, whom are almost certainly going to lose, to the average punter.

3 hours ago, DC77 said:

Think of it as an After Eight after a three course meal.

I know you lot don't like to hear this, but the WCC isn't even that in Australia.

WCC is almost a total non-event in Australia. Aside from diehard RL fans most people don't even realise when it's happening.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Why wouldn't any club want that WCC win - the Roosters were chuffed a couple of years ago when they went above Wigan in the all time winners list. Aussies really don't get international competition do they?

Yeah they were so 'chuffed' that it's never talked about amongst their great achievements, never used in any of their marketing and promotional material, and even the majority of their fans couldn't tell you how many WCCs they've won...

Actions speak louder than words, and controlled interviews given to the media is the cheapest of talk.

2 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Thats the point they have to play to prove it - opinions don't matter in sport, its results from playing games.

What a silly thing to say.

Do you think that St Helens should have to play, e.g., a Qld/NSW cup team to prove they are better than them? Of course not.

3 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Saints are a very very good team and can match most NRL teams - do I think they would beat Penrith- no, but until they play we never truly know. Saints on their day could beat a top NRL team and to dismiss a team with the likes of Makemson, Roby and Walmsley in is very naive and disrespectful.

St Helens would finish roughly somewhere between 6th and 10th in the NRL, and the only thing that is naïve and disrespectful is you massively underselling the abilities of NRL teams and players out of vain patriotism.

3 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

That's part of the problem, but the bigger problem is that there's a total lack of drawing power outside of the NRL.

All the household name players in RL are in the NRL, or are former NRL players, and the lack of novelty of getting the rare  opportunity to see famous players from overseas badly hurts international RL in Australia.

It's very hard to sell going to see a bunch of guys whom are effectively nobodies, whom are almost certainly going to lose, to the average punter.

I know you lot don't like to hear this, but the WCC isn't even that in Australia.

WCC is almost a total non-event in Australia. Aside from diehard RL fans most people don't even realise when it's happening.

And yet the Roosters V Wigan game drew over 30k,at the SFS,by far their biggest crowd of that season.

3 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

Yeah they were so 'chuffed' that it's never talked about amongst their great achievements, never used in any of their marketing and promotional material, and even the majority of their fans couldn't tell you how many WCCs they've won...

Actions speak louder than words, and controlled interviews given to the media is the cheapest of talk.

Rubbish,being a Roosters fan myself I can assure you it is talked about by fans who love the fact they’ve won the most titles & whilst Uncle Nick & Trent Robinson are in charge at the club it’ will be seen as a major target/achievement.

4 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

What a silly thing to say.

Do you think that St Helens should have to play, e.g., a Qld/NSW cup team to prove they are better than them? Of course not.

St Helens would finish roughly somewhere between 6th and 10th in the NRL, and the only thing that is naïve and disrespectful is you massively underselling the abilities of NRL teams and players out of vain patriotism.

Well I was a Roosters member at that time mate and I can tell you they made a big thing about being the most successful WCC club in the world when they went past Wigan. 

Your now saying Saints wouldn't do well in the NRL - maybe not but that's just your opinion (and one most on here regularly ignore) - I'm not saying Saints will win im just saying we need to get the game on to find out.

Strange a supposed RL fan wants to see less RL games played by keeping the 2 champions apart and see Penrith play yet an other friendly game rather than Saints.

21 hours ago, DC77 said:

The WCC is a nice tick, but that’s it. Think of it as an After Eight after a three course meal.

18 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

But what if it’s only wafer thin?

13 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Well I was a Roosters member at that time mate and I can tell you they made a big thing about being the most successful WCC club in the world when they went past Wigan. 

Your now saying Saints wouldn't do well in the NRL - maybe not but that's just your opinion (and one most on here regularly ignore) - I'm not saying Saints will win im just saying we need to get the game on to find out.

Strange a supposed RL fan wants to see less RL games played by keeping the 2 champions apart and see Penrith play yet an other friendly game rather than Saints.

Putting a figure on it to compare interest:

The 2019 NRL final article on Wikipedia got 21.1k views over three days (day before, day of, and day after final)

The 2020 WCC article on Wikipedia got 3.5k views over three days (day before, day of, and day after final)

So just over 6 times the interest for the NRL final.

1 minute ago, DC77 said:

Putting a figure on it to compare interest:

The 2019 NRL final article on Wikipedia got 21.1k views over three days (day before, day of, and day after final)

The 2020 WCC article on Wikipedia got 3.5k views over three days (day before, day of, and day after final)

So just over 6 times the interest for the NRL final.

Great, and your point is? - you do know you need to play the NRL final to qualify to play in the WCC? - if you'd worried we are trying to get the NRL final cancelled, don't worry we can have both😉

My point was the Sydney fans I was with at the WCC were over the moon they over took Wigan and classed their club as the most successful RL team in the world.

Maybe take in a game or 2 and talk to real fans lad.

20 hours ago, Davo5 said:

And yet the Roosters V Wigan game drew over 30k,at the SFS,by far their biggest crowd of that season.

Yet rated really poorly...

It's almost like the broader fanbase in Australia doesn't care about the WCC because it's been so devalued as a product...

20 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Rubbish,being a Roosters fan myself I can assure you it is talked about by fans who love the fact they’ve won the most titles & whilst Uncle Nick & Trent Robinson are in charge at the club it’ will be seen as a major target/achievement.

A Roosters "fan" on the other side of the world that is totally disconnected from the actual culture of the club...

Never heard of media training either have you.

18 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

And I can tell you that it's basically never been spoken about since.

It doesn't feature in their highlight reels, it's not spoken about in their promotional material, commentators don't wax lyrical about their WCC successes, there fans aren't bragging about it in pubs, it basically never rates a mention. So yeah, it might have been a big thing for a minute when it happened (even that is arguable at best), but it's irrelevant now, which you wouldn't expect if it was truly a big deal to the club.

It's almost like everybody connected with the NRL go through media training and say what they have to say at the time for PR purposes, but that those interviews don't necessarily reflect their actual opinions or feelings...

I'm sorry but it's utterly ridiculous to suggest that teams always need to play each other to be able to determine which is better. Sometimes one team is just that much better than the other that on an even playing field they are going to win the majority of contests, and you don't need them to play each other to know. That's no knock on St Helens either, most NRL teams will lose to the Panthers 9 times out of 10 at the moment, it just is what it is.

Is an edge 8 side doing poorly? I wouldn't necessarily say so. Obviously it depends on the circumstances, but generally speaking there're way worse places to be as a club.

BTW, an idea being unpopular doesn't make it wrong.

I never said that. I'd like to see the WCC go ahead and be successful.

Unfortunately it's been so mismanaged for so long that it's borderline worthless in Australia, hence why most NRL clubs are hesitant to participate BTW, but that doesn't always have to be the case.

4 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

Yet rated really poorly...

It's almost like the broader fanbase in Australia doesn't care about the WCC because it's been so devalued as a product...

A Roosters "fan" on the other side of the world that is totally disconnected from the actual culture of the club...

Never heard of media training either have you.

The only thing disconnected is you from reality.

And yes a Roosters fan on the other side of the world,I bet I’ve seen more live Roosters games than you,speak to more Roosters fans than you & have a far greater understanding of the club’s culture than you.

On 12/10/2021 at 02:31, The Great Dane said:

Oh I love these posts about how lowly the opinion is Australians hold about SL. Who bloody cares.

In soccer I have never watched a La liga match, couldn't tell you who's top of the league same with Serie A, Bundesliga etc.. but I'm still interested in Champions League because international club games are interesting. 

In RL we have 4 countries who have professional clubs its not beyond the realms of possibility to generate interest in international club games without making every Australian RL fan get up at 2 am to watch SL.

On 12/10/2021 at 02:31, The Great Dane said:

You do realise NRL players are only household names if the households watch the NRL. 

Australia isn't a very important country on the world stage and well off the world travel routes - their only real international influences are Cricket and some Rugby ( hence the RLWC decision was baffling)

Far more people in the UK watch SL than the NRL as next to no one watches NRL but SL figures on Sky are always very strong. SL gets some mainstream press from time to time - The Mirror or the Sun and some BBC coverage.

We don't have any household RL players at the moment- Sinfield was close and before that it was Offiah and Hanley but with that in mind someone like Sam Tomkins is closer to being a household name than any NRL player.

As this is a UK RL site so mainly UK RL fans your comments are simply wrong.

1 hour ago, Mattrhino said:

Oh I love these posts about how lowly the opinion is Australians hold about SL. Who bloody cares.

In soccer I have never watched a La liga match, couldn't tell you who's top of the league same with Serie A, Bundesliga etc.. but I'm still interested in Champions League because international club games are interesting. 

In RL we have 4 countries who have professional clubs its not beyond the realms of possibility to generate interest in international club games without making every Australian RL fan get up at 2 am to watch SL.

Yep. 

The frustrating thing is that often the fans and media who repeat a lot of the negativity about the sport outside of Australia don't really look at some of the facts. 

The viewing figures for things like the World Cups are very healthy and when they make effort, the crowds can be solid.

In the WCC - when Leeds played in Melbourne, it attracted their 4th largest crowd of the season, and when Wigan played in Sydney it was their 2nd largest crowd that year.

We have a challenge with the WCC around disparity in quality, but as we saw a few years back when we extended the tournament slightly, we got some great games and the SL teams actually started to perform better. 

9 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

And this is a commercial difference. The growth for NH rugby league is in internationals which is absolutely not the case for the NRL. Superstars are only possible for RL with FTA internations in a regular tournament, the sooner people in the RFL stop caring about Australia and focus on builiding events in the NH on FTA the better off we will be. 

The problem is it is rather limited in what it can do in the NH. France are miles off. If England RU only had Italy to play every year they wouldn't be filling Twickenham like they do.

The majority of quality international RL teams are SH teams, they are part of the solution, even if it is difficult.

21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yep. 

The frustrating thing is that often the fans and media who repeat a lot of the negativity about the sport outside of Australia don't really look at some of the facts. 

The viewing figures for things like the World Cups are very healthy and when they make effort, the crowds can be solid.

In the WCC - when Leeds played in Melbourne, it attracted their 4th largest crowd of the season, and when Wigan played in Sydney it was their 2nd largest crowd that year.

We have a challenge with the WCC around disparity in quality, but as we saw a few years back when we extended the tournament slightly, we got some great games and the SL teams actually started to perform better. 

Yeah our media and pundits are often our worst enemy. When the SL teams were regularly winning the WCC it was because the NRL clubs were treating it as a joke not even as important as a preseason game. Once the NRL were back winning it was because the SL was just rubbish compared to the NRL. So rubbish infact that every time we had to discuss if the game was even worth playing anymore.

41 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I’d rather Saints didn’t play them, it just gets in the way of the start of the season. If we played less league games then id be in favour, but we just play far too many matches ?. 

Are you an Australian?🤔

7 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Australia isn't a very important country on the world stage and well off the world travel routes - their only real international influences are Cricket and some Rugby ( hence the RLWC decision was baffling)

I blame their sense of importance on that period in the 1980's when Australia became culturally relevant.  Crocodile Dundee, while a pretty good movie, has a lot to answer for.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived