Redcliffe Dolphins chosen as preferred NRL expansion club

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not short of a dollar or two either.  Still, might not pass the ‘Elstone litmus test’ though. (If adopted) 😀

The organisation boasts $70 million worth of assets and has $20 million in cash reserves, putting it in the position to be one of the richest clubs in the NRL.

22 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Not short of a dollar or two either.  Still, might not pass the ‘Elstone litmus test’ though. (If adopted) 😀

The organisation boasts $70 million worth of assets and has $20 million in cash reserves, putting it in the position to be one of the richest clubs in the NRL.

sbw coming back out of retirement then?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

13 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

It would be insane not to admit this club into the NRL, glad it looks like it’s finally happening in 2023. The sooner they get another team in and go to 18 clubs the better imo. I noticed Auckland is getting a second Super Rugby club, they’ll be one playing out of Mount Smart Stadium and one playing out of Eden Park, we should have a 2nd NRL club in New Zealand as our next priority imo. 

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It would be insane not to admit this club into the NRL, glad it looks like it’s finally happening in 2023. The sooner they get another team in and go to 18 clubs the better imo. I noticed Auckland is getting a second Super Rugby club, they’ll be one playing out of Mount Smart Stadium and one playing out of Eden Park, we should have a 2nd NRL club in New Zealand as our next priority imo. 

Super Rugby is contracting fast, another club in NZ won’t save it, though at least in fairness (unlike SL) they seem to be giving it a go. 

If I have one concern over this it is that I don`t know if you could call this a strictly Brisbane team, technically with their heartland being based 40 km north of Brisbane.

My fear is that News Corp 68% owner of the Broncos have literally bankrolled this team by upping their broadcast deal with the NRL by $20m/ year, $13m for the new club and a sweetener for the other clubs. The obvious implication being they didn`t want the genuine Brisbane bid the Firehawks getting the nod and potentially threatening the Broncos monopoly in Brisbane. Personally I thought this whole thing was about another genuine Brisbane rivalry which to me I`m not sure it is.

Having said that for as long as the Broncos have existed and there has been talk about another Brisbane team it was Redcliffe`s name who always came up, so that was long before any talk of Firehawks or Jets, so that has obviously got to mean something. They`re probably the safe bet.

25 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

If I have one concern over this it is that I don`t know if you could call this a strictly Brisbane team, technically with their heartland being based 40 km north of Brisbane.

My fear is that News Corp 68% owner of the Broncos have literally bankrolled this team by upping their broadcast deal with the NRL by $20m/ year, $13m for the new club and a sweetener for the other clubs. The obvious implication being they didn`t want the genuine Brisbane bid the Firehawks getting the nod and potentially threatening the Broncos monopoly in Brisbane. Personally I thought this whole thing was about another genuine Brisbane rivalry which to me I`m not sure it is.

Having said that for as long as the Broncos have existed and there has been talk about another Brisbane team it was Redcliffe`s name who always came up, so that was long before any talk of Firehawks or Jets, so that has obviously got to mean something. They`re probably the safe bet.

40km is nothing in Aus, it’s 30mins from the centre of Brisbane according to this I just saw when checking out the stadium and there is a large population living to the north of Brisbane close to Redcliffe. It must be the smallest ground in the NRL but I like it, personally I’m glad the new team has their own home and isn’t just playing out of the suncorp, although I presume home games against the Broncos would be taken there. 

Dolphin Stadium 

https://www.austadiums.com/news/823/dolphin-stadium-completed-as-redcliffe-launch-nrl-bid

13 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

40km is nothing in Aus, it’s 30mins from the centre of Brisbane according to this I just saw when checking out the stadium and there is a large population living to the north of Brisbane close to Redcliffe. It must be the smallest ground in the NRL but I like it, personally I’m glad the new team has their own home and isn’t just playing out of the suncorp, although I presume home games against the Broncos would be taken there. 

Dolphin Stadium 

https://www.austadiums.com/news/823/dolphin-stadium-completed-as-redcliffe-launch-nrl-bid

It`s actually that stadium that was one of the things I like least about them.

From what I`ve read they`ll be sharing their home games between Dolphin stadium (above), Moretan Bay stadium and Suncorp. The former two have a capacity of about 12 000, they even had the audacity to say they could fit another 1500 in standing, what a joke! this is NRL not park footy. Firehawks were going to play every game out of Suncorp, which I thought was the whole point of this exercise.

My preference, without knowing the full in and outs of it of course, would be to have Firehawks in, Redcliffe if they are so rich upgrade their home grown to NRL standard, at least 20 000 and guarantee them entry in 5 years.

BTW 40 kms in traffic isn`t the same as 40km out in the country.  It`s not much difference to Penrith and Sydney city, and that`s a hike, if your mucking around on public transport it can easily be over an hour.

4 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

From what I`ve read they`ll be sharing their home games between Dolphin stadium (above), Moretan Bay stadium and Suncorp. The former two have a capacity of about 12 000, they even had the audacity to say they could fit another 1500 in standing, what a joke! this is NRL not park footy. Firehawks were going to play every game out of Suncorp, which I thought was the whole point of this exercise.

My preference, without knowing the full in and outs of it of course, would be to have Firehawks in, Redcliffe if they are so rich upgrade their home grown to NRL standard, at least 20 000 and guarantee them entry in 5 years.

BTW 40 kms in traffic isn`t the same as 40km out in the country.  It`s not much difference to Penrith and Sydney city, and that`s a hike, if your mucking around on public transport it can easily be over an hour.

There's always, from the outside, been a bit of a downer on clubs playing in stadiums that are too big. None more so than fellow QLDers the Titans. Its why Parra like Bankwest more than Stadium Australia too.

With that in mind an NRL club that isn't offering playing in a ground it could never fill is somewhat refreshing. It also being "their ground" is a point of difference too.

8 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

The former two have a capacity of about 12 000, they even had the audacity to say they could fit another 1500 in standing, what a joke! this is NRL not park footy.

Must have imagined all of those NRL matches I have watched where half of the crowd is sat on a grass hill.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

17 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Must have imagined all of those NRL matches I have watched where half of the crowd is sat on a grass hill.

True, some of the stadiums NRL clubs play out of are a disgrace for a $500m professional sporting competition, we wonder why our crowd averages and club memberships aren`t so flash. Hopefully at least in Sydney we might be seeing that redressed.

But letting a team into the competition with a home ground that holds 12 000, I don`t get it, I feel if that they become popular and the locals can`t get a ticket to a home game - apart from the games they play at Suncorp -  it will alienate fans straight away. It just doesn`t strike me as being very professional.

5 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Is Moretan Bay stadium a different place to Moreton Daily stadium (which I thought is the sponsored name of Dolphin stadium)?

11 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Is Moretan Bay stadium a different place to Moretan Daily stadium (which I thought is the sponsored name of Dolphin stadium)?

Yes it is, but I read that they would be taking some games to Moretan Bay as well, which has a ground of similar capacity.

Either way, I`m just not sure about letting in a team that has a home ground with a capacity of 12 000. Perhaps they will play most of their games out of Suncorp, as you`d think a second Brisbane team would be wanting to average at least 20 000. That`s the whole point of having a second team in a Rugby League heartland city of 2.5m where 60% of the population say League is their first sport even if they don`t  necessarily follow the Broncos.

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Dolphin Stadium 

The stadium is too small and there isn’t enough rain protection. For a new team there needs to be higher standards. For a rugby league crazy area like SE QLD they need one central stadium for the team that seats at least 25,000.

The NRL really needs another team playing at Lang Park or somewhere in western Brisbane.

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

Even the dirt hill NRL stadiums can hold around 20,000. Redcliffe’s stadium is just too small. I’d be surprised if they get the NRL franchise is they plan to play out of that place.

1 minute ago, Copa said:

Even the dirt hill NRL stadiums can hold around 20,000. Redcliffe’s stadium is just too small. I’d be surprised if they get the NRL franchise is they plan to play out of that place.

Plenty of clubs only average around 12,000 give or take a couple of thousand. I’m sure it can be extended further in the coming years and they can take their big games to Suncorp. 

1 minute ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Plenty of clubs only average around 12,000 give or take a couple of thousand. I’m sure it can be extended further in the coming years and they can take their big games to Suncorp. 

This is SE QLD with a population of 3.6 million in one of the most rugby league mad places on earth. It’s a place where it’s safe for RL to be ambitious.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

True, some of the stadiums NRL clubs play out of are a disgrace for a $500m professional sporting competition, we wonder why our crowd averages and club memberships aren`t so flash. Hopefully at least in Sydney we might be seeing that redressed.

But letting a team into the competition with a home ground that holds 12 000, I don`t get it, I feel if that they become popular and the locals can`t get a ticket to a home game - apart from the games they play at Suncorp -  it will alienate fans straight away. It just doesn`t strike me as being very professional.

To be honest I like the diversity of smaller NRL grounds and at least on TV I enjoy watching a game from a suburban ground than a half-full double-header at Suncorp or the big Sydney ground. I just wondered if we were applying the same rules as Super League where outsiders have a load of exacting hoops to jump through while incumbents are held to more 'flexible' standards.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

27 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

To be honest I like the diversity of smaller NRL grounds and at least on TV I enjoy watching a game from a suburban ground than a half-full double-header at Suncorp or the big Sydney ground. I just wondered if we were applying the same rules as Super League where outsiders have a load of exacting hoops to jump through while incumbents are held to more 'flexible' standards.

I like all the old Rugby League grounds as well, but it ain`t much fun sitting on a wooden bench in the rain and the wind in the middle of winter at Kogarah, Leichardt, Brookvale etc. etc. especially when you can watch it at home. 

Jut another thing on the Dolphins, now that (if?) they are in there may well be a deal with the State Government to up-grade their stadium. I was reading somewhere that there is already soccer and union played at that ground and given the population of the region the Gov`t. may be sympathetic to up-grading it to around the 20k mark. But that`s just speculation I certainly haven`t read anything official. Olympics coming in 2032 may see a splurge on mid-sized stadiums not too far from Brisbane though.

1 hour ago, Copa said:

This is SE QLD with a population of 3.6 million in one of the most rugby league mad places on earth. It’s a place where it’s safe for RL to be ambitious.

But are those RL loving fans that will be targeted,already fans of other Qld Cup teams & will they switch allegiance to what was a rival in that comp ?

7 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

But are those RL loving fans that will be targeted,already fans of other Qld Cup teams & will they switch allegiance to what was a rival in that comp ?

It`s a good question and I believe that is why they have said they will be called North Brisbane Dolphins or something that doesn`t have Redcliffe in it. They must be pretty confident that people will look past that though and most of their fans will be drawn from that region anyway and will probably just be happy to have their own NRL team. Having Wayne Bennett as your inaugural coach won`t hurt either.

Interesting one though because from what I`ve heard they are considered the Manly of the Qld. comp, just with more money.

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

True, some of the stadiums NRL clubs play out of are a disgrace for a $500m professional sporting competition, we wonder why our crowd averages and club memberships aren`t so flash.

This is such a pertinent point. There is no mistaking the mass growth in AFL crowd attendances and club memberships came as the Melbourne clubs all moved their home games away from suburban standard (ala Sharks, Panthers, Dragons, Seagles, Tigers) to well resourced stadiums. 

All of the grounds hosting the above Sydney clubs (despite larger capacity) appear to me to be far more dilapidated than the Dolphins home ground.

In saying that, I don’t see how regular 12k sellouts fits the imagination of huge expansion. Perth could manage that. Gotta play the majority of their games at Suncorp.

5 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

It`s a good question and I believe that is why they have said they will be called North Brisbane Dolphins or something that doesn`t have Redcliffe in it. They must be pretty confident that people will look past that though and most of their fans will be drawn from that region anyway and will probably just be happy to have their own NRL team. Having Wayne Bennett as your inaugural coach won`t hurt either.

Interesting one though because from what I`ve heard they are considered the Manly of the Qld. comp, just with more money.

My concern is that by playing games at Suncorp,how many of the existing Redcliffe fans will travel to Brisbane,can they attract the non Broncos fans in Brisbane a lot of which will support existing & rival Qld Cup teams in sufficient numbers.

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Yes it is, but I read that they would be taking some games to Moretan Bay as well, which has a ground of similar capacity.

Either way, I`m just not sure about letting in a team that has a home ground with a capacity of 12 000. Perhaps they will play most of their games out of Suncorp, as you`d think a second Brisbane team would be wanting to average at least 20 000. That`s the whole point of having a second team in a Rugby League heartland city of 2.5m where 60% of the population say League is their first sport even if they don`t  necessarily follow the Broncos.

Moreton Bay

Archived