Redcliffe Dolphins chosen as preferred NRL expansion club

20 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Because they realise the overall strength of the game and an individual club is more important than tradition 

There is also a saying in sport which is often used that no one player is bigger than the club.Very true words.

And I also say that no one club is bigger than the game. And I think clubs should be reminded of this.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

There is also a saying in sport which is often used that no one player is bigger than the club.Very true words.

And I also say that no one club is bigger than the game. And I think clubs should be reminded of this.

Absolutely!!

1 hour ago, Robthegasman said:

I have a question for you.

How come Australian supporters accept rebranding like Sydney Roosters(Eastern Suburbs and still official name)and now with the Dolphins?

The Roosters name change was at a time when the club were fearful of surviving and was an attempt to grab the Sydney name when relocations and mergers were on the cards. Canterbury Bulldogs similarly renamed to Sydney Bulldogs and Balmain renamed to Sydney Tigers. Some fans understood it as the lesser of two evils but many Roosters fans haven't accepted it. The word Sydney is actually barely used by fans or commentators and the club still uses Easts on some of its merchandise. I've also seen various articles saying Nick Politis himself doesn't like it too much.

As for the Dolphins I think rebrands are much easier when it is to form a club to play at a higher level. I think for Redcliffe it's clear that for their bid to be successful they needed to show a wider appeal than just Redcliffe.

17 minutes ago, Damien said:

The Roosters name change was at a time when the club were fearful of surviving and was an attempt to grab the Sydney name when relocations and mergers were on the cards. Canterbury Bulldogs similarly renamed to Sydney Bulldogs and Balmain renamed to Sydney Tigers. Some fans understood it as the lesser of two evils but many Roosters fans haven't accepted it. The word Sydney is actually barely used by fans or commentators and the club still uses Easts on some of its merchandise. I've also seen various articles saying Nick Politis himself doesn't like it too much.

As for the Dolphins I think rebrands are much easier when it is to form a club to play at a higher level. I think for Redcliffe it's clear that for their bid to be successful they needed to show a wider appeal than just Redcliffe.

I find it interesting that Eastern Suburbs renamed themselves Sydney and within 5 years the other central Sydney clubs (North Sydney, South Sydney & Western Suburbs) had all either been removed from the NRL or merged. So for a short time at least they were the only NRL team representing central Sydney (rather than the wider metropolitan area).

Perhaps becoming 'Sydney' gave them an advantage over those other clubs when mergers/expulsions were under consideration.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Fair post.

11 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Because they realise the overall strength of the game and an individual club is more important than tradition 

So why did this not apply when Canterbury changed their name to Sydney Bulldogs and also just Bulldogs years later, they reverted back to Canterbury as did Balmain when they changed to Sydney Tigers then back to Balmain again.

9 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

I find it interesting that Eastern Suburbs renamed themselves Sydney and within 5 years the other central Sydney clubs (North Sydney, South Sydney & Western Suburbs) had all either been removed from the NRL or merged. So for a short time at least they were the only NRL team representing central Sydney (rather than the wider metropolitan area).

Perhaps becoming 'Sydney' gave them an advantage over those other clubs when mergers/expulsions were under consideration.

Did AFL fans have these conversations when Port Adelaide and Fremantle joined only in rugby league do we think the supporters come from the suburbs the club is based in. Why do South Sydney play at ANZ? Because research tells them alot of their support is in Western Sydney, they all aren't living in Redfern or have a link there.

Redcliffe will get support now they are in the big league if they do well they will get a good following from their TV presence just as the Canberra Raiders did when Mal Meninga played for them.

9 hours ago, rlno1 said:

Did AFL fans have these conversations when Port Adelaide and Fremantle joined only in rugby league do we think the supporters come from the suburbs the club is based in. Why do South Sydney play at ANZ? Because research tells them alot of their support is in Western Sydney, they all aren't living in Redfern or have a link there.

Redcliffe will get support now they are in the big league if they do well they will get a good following from their TV presence just as the Canberra Raiders did when Mal Meninga played for them.

South Sydney play at ANZ because they have a great deal and amongst other things it is financially very lucrative to do so. 

NRL 2021: Sponsors circle Dolphins (theaustralian.com.au)

“We have been bowled over by the corporate side,’’ Dolphins general manager Terry Reader told News Corp.

“We already had a number of agreements in place with our submission, but we have been amazed by the interest we have had from a number of big companies who want to be part of the club.’’

Where the Broncos would often sign exclusive sponsorships with one company in a particular sector, there is now greater scope for rival firms to gain an entry to the local NRL market.

When the South Queensland Crushers emerged in 1995, they intentionally courted and signed rivals to Broncos brands – Fourex Gold to the Broncos’ Power Brewing and Qantas Airlines to the Broncos’ Ansett.

I think I remember reading that the Crushers had the first million dollar shirt front sponsor. The potential for rivalry between sponsors is a side of a cross town rivalry that I certainly hadn`t considered.

53 minutes ago, Pulga said:

The Courier Mail reporting The Dolphins have inked a $5m 3-year deal with Adventure Kings to be on the front of their jersey.

Haven’t the local council threatened to withdraw their backing over the lack of Moreton Bay or Redcliffe in the clubs name ?

42 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Haven’t the local council threatened to withdraw their backing over the lack of Moreton Bay or Redcliffe in the clubs name ?

Got to admit I thought that whole drama may have been manufactured to generate publicity and then got a bit out of hand. 

The sticking point seems to be that the Moreton Bay councilors are claiming that were told to their face in numerous meetings that Moreton Bay would be included in the name. The Dolphin bid team are denying they ever made that promise.

To me that is something that could be verified one way or the other pretty quickly. Did anyone take minutes in those meetings. Interestingly we`ve heard no more about that or from anyone else who may have been in those meetings. Meetings that would have had a lot of people in on them if the sort of money that is claimed was being handed over is true. That`s why I think it is just hot air.

The mayor of Moreton Bay does seem to have a reputation as a publicity seeker and this was his way of making sure that Moreton Bay was in the headlines for a couple of weeks. Coming out of lockdown and into summer a lot of regions are looking for the interstate tourist dollar to kick start their local economies again and as I heard him say this bid was going to put Moreton Bay on the map.

With regards to the Dolphins name, this is an interesting article.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/10/20/some-day-we-wanted-to-use-it-why-dolphins-fought-to-protect-name/

I remember thinking that the use of Wolfpack when there was a club already operating as the Wolves in SL was a marketing blunder. Appears the Dolphins have the same philosophy.

Archived