Jump to content

Redcliffe Dolphins chosen as preferred NRL expansion club


Recommended Posts


12 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

This is such a pertinent point. There is no mistaking the mass growth in AFL crowd attendances and club memberships came as the Melbourne clubs all moved their home games away from suburban standard (ala Sharks, Panthers, Dragons, Seagles, Tigers) to well resourced stadiums. 

All of the grounds hosting the above Sydney clubs (despite larger capacity) appear to me to be far more dilapidated than the Dolphins home ground.

In saying that, I don’t see how regular 12k sellouts fits the imagination of huge expansion. Perth could manage that. Gotta play the majority of their games at Suncorp.

The NRL did move a lot of their games to better stadia, yet all but Parras new ground was far too big.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

My concern is that by playing games at Suncorp,how many of the existing Redcliffe fans will travel to Brisbane,can they attract the non Broncos fans in Brisbane a lot of which will support existing & rival Qld Cup teams in sufficient numbers.

From what I`ve seen being speculated thursday and friday night games they will be hoping to cash in on the after work crowd out of Brisbane, plus neutral/new fans who want to see a night game at Suncorp, which is a magnificent League ground.

If it is the Broncos away week they might get a few of them down as well. And then of course they will be hoping some of their home fans will make the trip into Brisbane for a game against a high profile opposition. So it could pretty easily get up to the 20k+ mark I suppose. If they are successful then it could kick on from there.

Saturday and sunday games if the opposition is attractive enough I dare say people are more likely to travel and you`ll get the Brissy crowd looking for something to do.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

From what I`ve seen being speculated thursday and friday night games they will be hoping to cash in on the after work crowd out of Brisbane, plus neutral/new fans who want to see a night game at Suncorp, which is a magnificent League ground.

If it is the Broncos away week they might get a few of them down as well. And then of course they will be hoping some of their home fans will make the trip into Brisbane for a game against a high profile opposition. So it could pretty easily get up to the 20k+ mark I suppose. If they are successful then it could kick on from there.

Saturday and sunday games if the opposition is attractive enough I dare say people are more likely to travel and you`ll get the Brissy crowd looking for something to do.

Is there a rail link from Redcliffe into Brisbane? I can remember travelling up from the Gold Coast a few years back to watch a Broncos/Roosters game with free return rail travel if you had a match ticket,although the delights of Caxton St nearly resulted in a missed train.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Is there a rail link from Redcliffe into Brisbane? I can remember travelling up from the Gold Coast a few years back to watch a Broncos/Roosters game with free return rail travel if you had a match ticket,although the delights of Caxton St nearly resulted in a missed train.

Just over an hour by Rail or drive to a Hub like Chermside and free Bus to the ground.

 

Investigation: RO-2017-003 - Running line collision with worker involving  passenger train T570, Petrie, Queensland on 29 May 2017

Edited by Jonty58
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If they could get their ground up to 20k that would be great. You'd much rather be turning fans away and creating scarcity than having a stadium being even 85% full. That's what you want as a brand. 20k average would have seen them 2nd highest average attendance this year. 

 

  • Like 1

new rise.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Pulga said:

If they could get their ground up to 20k that would be great. You'd much rather be turning fans away and creating scarcity than having a stadium being even 85% full. That's what you want as a brand. 20k average would have seen them 2nd highest average attendance this year. 

 

My theory is that the last thing you want is sell outs every week, or you will be missing out on maximised turnstile dollars. 

Consistent 75% is what would work. Sell out the bigger matches like derbies or ladder critical fixtures. But once your crowd avg is hitting above 90% year on year, you’d wanna start thinking about increasing capacity if you can. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

The NRL did move a lot of their games to better stadia, yet all but Parras new ground was far too big.

True, but Stadium Australia has significant transport problems that are not experienced by the MCG or Docklands that diminished replicated results seen by the AFL.

In saying that, the access to SFS will have significantly improved by the time it has been rebuilt. I have long said that one of the SFS and new Parra Stadium should host a 6pm Sydney derby every Friday night.

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Salford have it spot on then, they never sell out.

There are certainly worse problems to have than selling out your ground every week, that’s a rather nice problem to try and solve.

That basket case is nowhere near 75% avg either. Never get above 50% period do they? Certainly not a case study to denounce my theory.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Jut another thing on the Dolphins, now that (if?) they are in there may well be a deal with the State Government to up-grade their stadium. 

There have been three significant upgrades to Dolphin Park/Oval in the past 5 or 6 years. With the Leagues club behind one goal post, there`s a limit to how far development could go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

There have been three significant upgrades to Dolphin Park/Oval in the past 5 or 6 years. With the Leagues club behind one goal post, there`s a limit to how far development could go.

Still a 12 000 seat ground isn`t anywhere near appropriate for an NRL team.

The other place they might have been taking games may have been the Sunshine coast.

Edited by The Rocket
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Still a 12 000 seat ground isn`t anywhere near appropriate for an NRL team.

The other place they might have been taking games may have been the Sunshine coast.

I thought they were going to play a majority of their games out of Suncorp and only play home games against teams who don't have any sort of away support like the Roosters, Manly and West Tigers etc 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

True, but Stadium Australia has significant transport problems that are not experienced by the MCG or Docklands that diminished replicated results seen by the AFL.

In saying that, the access to SFS will have significantly improved by the time it has been rebuilt. I have long said that one of the SFS and new Parra Stadium should host a 6pm Sydney derby every Friday night.

I wouldn't disagree.

I think redeveloped suburban grounds like Bankwest should have been the route for all Sydney based clubs, even if they had to be shared. Stadium Australia is really poor for the outlook of the NRL imo

Who else but the Roosters would play at SFS though? Souths?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

My theory is that the last thing you want is sell outs every week, or you will be missing out on maximised turnstile dollars. 

Consistent 75% is what would work. Sell out the bigger matches like derbies or ladder critical fixtures. But once your crowd avg is hitting above 90% year on year, you’d wanna start thinking about increasing capacity if you can. 

Its not a bad thing, and certainly adds scarcity value, to have near capacity crowds. It also adds immensely to intangibles like atmosphere which make the experience more desirable.

Its not bad to be at a stage where the only seats/standing available close to matchday are the least desirable ones. So you aren't busting capacity, but you are still encouraging people to buy early to avoid disappointment.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I wouldn't disagree.

I think redeveloped suburban grounds like Bankwest should have been the route for all Sydney based clubs, even if they had to be shared. Stadium Australia is really poor for the outlook of the NRL imo

Who else but the Roosters would play at SFS though? Souths?

Yep, and the loose plan of the NSW Gov’t elect is to build another two BankWest style stadiums in Sydney. They don’t come cheap.

The way I see the weekly Sydney derby Friday 6pm KO is like an NRL event. Like Magic, where teams are not necessarily at their suburban home, but still play at least one home game at the nearest venue. In that case, I would be calling SFS “home” for Roosters, Bunnies, Dragons, Sharks, Seagles and Parra Stad for Eels, Panthers, Tigers and Dogs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Southerner said:

Great news they’re expanding.

If only Super League could take the plunge and start increasing the league. 😩

Expanding?  

 

“Expanding”” into Brisbane is like “Expanding” into Wigan.  Does not a lot to increase the footprint of the NRL.  Perth…..Adelaide…..NZ2…..that’s expansion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Still a 12 000 seat ground isn`t anywhere near appropriate for an NRL team.

The other place they might have been taking games may have been the Sunshine coast.

A full Dolphin Park would be better than 7 or 8k at Kogarah or Brookvale. Broncos/Titans and Broncos/Cowboys trials had good atmospheres by Aussie standards. And 12k or under at Suncorp wouldn`t be much more exhilarating than some of the paltry attendances strewn across Stadium Australia.

According to locals there`s little prospect of multitudes travelling regularly from the Moreton Bay area, so the big question is whether substantial numbers of those living or working nearer to Suncorp will embrace the Dolphins as a Brisbane or Queensland team.

We`re told there are lots of RL "fans" in SEQ who don`t like the Broncos. Problem with RL "fans" is not many of them actually go to games. So even those who welcome the Dolphins will probably be in front of their TV screens.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

I thought they were going to play a majority of their games out of Suncorp and only play home games against teams who don't have any sort of away support like the Roosters, Manly and West Tigers etc 

That`s exactly what we were told right from the beginning. Suncorp is underutilised.

I suppose the thing is Lucky this is going to be a wealthy club, they may become a top 6 side pretty quickly, and if they do, drawing crowds at Suncorp won`t be an issue. We`ve seen how the Broncos crowds were from day one because they were winners and at the end of the day this is still only the second Brisbane team in that immediate vicinity, so they won`t be short of support especially if they start beating some of the clubs from south of the border.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Giving Redcliffe an NRL license is the biggest mistake the NRL has made in a while.

Once again News gets what they want and RL loses out.

Edited by The Great Dane
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...