FRANCE AWAY

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 17/10/2021 at 09:38, Harry Stottle said:

England should even it up and send the academy team to play, Seriously although this is being played on French soil and they will have the backing of 99% of the attendees, I can't see any further than a resounding easy England victory, even with a team that will be well short of what England would deem full strength.

Yes, let's just not bother. And we wonder why international rugby league is not the success we want it to be.

3 hours ago, OMEGA said:
  1. Tomkins
  2. McGillvery
  3. Percival
  4. King
  5. Johnstone
  6. Widdop
  7. Williams
  8. Hill
  9. Clarke
  10. Watts
  11. Whitehead
  12. Currie
  13. Thompson

Subs: Connor, McMekin Sutton, T Burgess

Alternative team from unselected or unavailable players

That's actually a decent team.

Looking forward to seeing Jordan Abdull in an England shirt.  No doubting his talent and it will be interesting to see if he has the confidence to boss a team around at representative level.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

No guarantee he’ll be picked 

He is one of only two regular club half backs in the squad (him and Lomax) unless we think Leeming is a better option at half back.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 17/10/2021 at 14:08, Harry Stottle said:

If Bateman was unknown, he would be nowhere near the squad on his form this season, and if Hardacre is chosen at centre along with Bateman's selection it will smack as an old pals act from Mr Wane.

Is Toby King unavailable?

Batemans dreadful form was a bit of a myth IMO. Was it his best? No. Was it better than many other superleague back rowers? Yes. He made too many errors and like everyone at Wigan, he was clearly frustrated with how things were going but he was getting criticised late in the season on the back of games where he’d made 40+ tackles and 140+ metres. If that’s not judging a man on unrealistic expectations, I don’t know what is.

He needs to improve, I absolutely agree and he will but you don’t leave Bateman out of an England team. It’s like saying the England football side should be leaving Harry Kane out because he’s had a rough patch. This idea people love to push, that you should always pick ‘on form’ is nonsense. There can be hundreds of different reasons for up and down club form but you pick your best players, the players you trust and who you know can do the job for you and then mix in some form men. No international side, in any sport, is successful unless it has a core of players to build the side around. 

3 hours ago, WN83 said:

Batemans dreadful form was a bit of a myth IMO. Was it his best? No. Was it better than many other superleague back rowers? Yes. He made too many errors and like everyone at Wigan, he was clearly frustrated with how things were going but he was getting criticised late in the season on the back of games where he’d made 40+ tackles and 140+ metres. If that’s not judging a man on unrealistic expectations, I don’t know what is.

I have said since Bateman was given the 13 shirt at Wigan, he is a world class edge forward (second row in old money) and a good loose forward.

6 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I have said since Bateman was given the 13 shirt at Wigan, he is a world class edge forward (second row in old money) and a good loose forward.

Tough to say what he will be at loose forward because he still played 90%+ of his game time in that right sided second row slot this season, even though he had been given the 13 shirt. That was mainly because of injuries and Lam's fetish for young middle forwards. I think he'd go pretty well as a regular loose forward, off loading and taking on the bigger men but I can't really give a concrete opinion on him in the position yet, as he just hasn't played enough games there. 

The easiest way I'd sum up Batemans season was that for decent second rower, he was probably an 8/10 but by his own high standards set both down under and here before his exit, he was more like a 5 or 6/10. He still walks in to an England side though. The day we're good enough to leave out a player like Bateman, will be a very good one. 

England team list.

Extremely surprised Newman hasn't made the side, the rest is probably as expected. No disrespect intended to Lyne or Hardaker but Newman is the future so surely this game is perfect for giving him a debut.

3 minutes ago, UTK said:

England team list.

Extremely surprised Newman hasn't made the side, the rest is probably as expected. No disrespect intended to Lyne or Hardaker but Newman is the future so surely this game is perfect for giving him a debut.

I agree, I would have liked to have seen Newman in there too. Hardaker for me is still not a centre and Newman has so much more potential than Lyne.

3 minutes ago, UTK said:

England team list.

Agreed. Without the NRL based players and fee injuries, it isnt a bad 13 but the centres jump out as the weak area.  I can't see how Hardaker can be considered even close to Newman as a centre.

On 18/10/2021 at 17:06, OMEGA said:
  1. Tomkins
  2. McGillvery
  3. Percival
  4. King
  5. Johnstone
  6. Widdop
  7. Williams
  8. Hill
  9. Clarke
  10. Watts
  11. Whitehead
  12. Currie
  13. Thompson

Subs: Connor, McMekin Sutton, T Burgess

Alternative team from unselected or unavailable players

Team of young England available players not selected

1. Welsby (Sts)
  2. Young (Newcastle Knights)
  3. Farnworth (Brisbane)
  4. Broadbent (Leeds)
  5. Ashton (Warrington)
  6. Pryce (Huddersfield)
  7. Dodd (Sts)
  8. Havard (Wigan)
  9. O’Neil (Castleford)
  10. English (Huddersfield)
  11. Bentley (Sts)
  12. Pearce-Paul (Wigan)
  13. Smith (Leeds)

Subs: Lewis (HKR) Gannon (Leeds) Partington (Wigan) Holdroyd (Leeds)

Archived