FRANCE AWAY

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

4413D8F4-0977-4EE3-8AF9-E9A612BE232B.jpeg

This squad looks very different compared to a possible World Cup squad, we may as well call them England PM13 or England Knights, it’s not really a full International without England’s NRL players. I’m still looking forward to the game on Saturday.

1 Sam Tomkins

2 Herbie Farnworth

3 Harry Newman 

4 Dom Young 

5 Tommy Makinson

6 Gareth Widdop

7 George Williams 

8 Alex Walmsley 

9 Josh Hodgson 

10 Tom Burgess

11 Elliott Whitehead

12 Jon Bateman 

13 Morgan Knowles

14 Ben Currie

15 Kruise Leeming 

16 Mikolaj Oledzki 

17 Ryan Sutton

6 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

If France weren’t missing their 3 best players in big Jullien Bousquet, Ben Garcia and Theo Fages you could be right. 

I think it wil be a 20 point win. With those 3 (and maybe Remi changing his mind) it would be nearer a 10 point win 

Anyone secretly or not secretly hoping for an upset? I'm torn as an Englishman . Overall I think I'd prefer a thriller that we edge 

45 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I think it wil be a 20 point win. With those 3 (and maybe Remi changing his mind) it would be nearer a 10 point win 

Anyone secretly or not secretly hoping for an upset? I'm torn as an Englishman . Overall I think I'd prefer a thriller that we edge 

I think everyone would agree if France could be competitive with England it’d be great for the International game. I don’t think the squad they have on Saturday will be though, they have too many fringe Super League players and Championship players. I think England will win by 40 points.

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Would be good to avoid a blowout but I´ll be looking at the barb figures and if it is a blowout but still good, then it is almost better than a close game with good figures as it means there is room for it to grow as it becomes more competitive. 

Wouldn't most of the wider English sporting public like to see a good England win than a close game?  I don't remember anyone hoping for a close, competitive game when the other England teams play.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Wouldn't most of the wider English sporting public like to see a good England win than a close game?  I don't remember anyone hoping for a close, competitive game when the other England teams play.

Other England teams being union, soccer and cricket I assume 

In those sports we play a variety of other nations that are competetive. 

As we don't have that luxury in NH an emergence of a local international rival would be welcomed 

All other sides I would like us to smash - be it Aus, NZ, Tonga, Samoa etc

9 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

If France weren’t missing their 3 best players in big Jullien Bousquet, Ben Garcia and Theo Fages you could be right. 

It shouldn't really boil down to that though should it ? and it may not do.  But If PNG can beat England (with a couple of Barrow players - no disrespect to their club) then surely France should have a chance.

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Other England teams being union, soccer and cricket I assume 

In those sports we play a variety of other nations that are competetive. 

As we don't have that luxury in NH an emergence of a local international rival would be welcomed 

All other sides I would like us to smash - be it Aus, NZ, Tonga, Samoa etc

But that's my point.  As Rugby League fans we know who the strongest nations are but this doesn't play out across the wider sporting public.

I occasionally watch England Netball play on TV.  I don't think when they are playing Jamaica that I want them to smash them as they are ranked 4th in the world but I hope its a good competitive game against Canada for the sake of the Canadians as they are ranked 29th.  I just want England to win.

If a casual sports fan watched England play France at Rugby League are they really that bothered where the French rank against Tonga and Samoa... they will surely just want England to turn over the French (the oldest of English rivals!).

p.s. and yes, of course I had to Google the Netball world rankings - again because it never occurred to me to wonder who was in the top 10

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

French Team List: https://www.ffr13.fr/les-compositions-des-equipes-de-equipes-de-france-pour-affronter-langleterre/

1. Mark Kheirallah
2. Ilias Bergal
3. Matthieu Laguerre
4. Mathieu Jussaume
5. Fouad Yaha
6. Arthur Mourgue 
7. Tony Gigot (C)
8. Romain Navarrete
9. Anthony Marion
10. Jordan Dezaria
11. Benjamin Jullien 
12. Paul Seguier
13. Mickael Goudemand

14. Eloi Pelissier
15. Maxime Puech
16. Justin Sangare
17. Corentin Le Cam

18. Matthieu Cozza
19. Cesar Rouge
20. Morgan Escare

36 minutes ago, UTK said:

French Team List: https://www.ffr13.fr/les-compositions-des-equipes-de-equipes-de-france-pour-affronter-langleterre/

1. Mark Kheirallah
2. Ilias Bergal
3. Matthieu Laguerre
4. Mathieu Jussaume
5. Fouad Yaha
6. Arthur Mourgue 
7. Tony Gigot (C)
8. Romain Navarrete
9. Anthony Marion
10. Jordan Dezaria
11. Benjamin Jullien 
12. Paul Seguier
13. Mickael Goudemand

14. Eloi Pelissier
15. Maxime Puech
16. Justin Sangare
17. Corentin Le Cam

18. Matthieu Cozza
19. Cesar Rouge
20. Morgan Escare

Oh dear, that’s not their strongest team by any stretch is it 😞

5 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

Oh dear, that’s not their strongest team by any stretch is it 😞

Losing their best three in Garcia, Fages and Bousquet is far from ideal while their depth is so thin. Da Costa and Springer would've also got starts I'd imagine.

As a positive there's only 3 players over 30 (Gigot, Kheirallah, Pelissier) with plenty of debutants so they'll be able to use this experience as a base for the future squad.

10 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

France 3-1 to win it

Certainly not walkover odds 

Probably similar to what we would be against Aussies right now 

I had a look now on Oddschecker and most bookmakers are 17/2 France. 

France can also be backed at around evens with +20 start. 

10 hours ago, Dunbar said:

It`s the same everywhere I expect, most people only want to see their own team play and see them win, regardless of the margin. I don`t care if Oz wins or loses, in any sport, including League, a close contest of high quality will do. 

I`ve never really understood patriotism, me being an Australian was only by chance, I could have been born any where in the world and been anyone, it just so happened that I was born here, nothing to do with me, just luck or fate or whatever you want to call it.

21 hours ago, Balmain1969 said:

Game is now being televised in Aus

SCRUM-FREE TEST

Fox Sports has secured the rights to Saturday night’s France-England Test, which holds particular interest because it will be played without scrums.

Eliminating scrums has been an argument around the NRL for years, with some pushing for it and others in fierce resistance.

The Test, in Perpignan, gives supporters a chance to witness the scrum-less game at high level. Roosters coach Trent Robinson will be one interested observer, with Robinson a director of the French rugby league. Coverage starts 9.55pm Saturday.

Anyone watching the super league in Australia would have seen scrum free games so it is no big revelation.

On 17/10/2021 at 12:50, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

1 Evalds

2 Makinson

3 Newman

4 Hardaker 

5 Davis

6 Lomax

7 Leeming 

8 Oledzki

9 McShane

10 Walmsley 

11 Farrell

12 Bateman

13 Knowles 

14 Philbin

15 Lees

16 Cooper

17 Currie

Walker, Abdul, Lyne 

You seriously want to pick a hooker at 7 at test level, particularly one who's been outclassed at club level playing there all season 🤣 That's bordering on about as stupid a Bennett picking Austin as a wingman. Even accounting for the fact this is a **** poor French team, Leeming is not and never will be a scrum half.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

On 18/10/2021 at 17:06, OMEGA said:
  1. Tomkins
  2. McGillvery
  3. Percival
  4. King
  5. Johnstone
  6. Widdop
  7. Williams
  8. Hill
  9. Clarke
  10. Watts
  11. Whitehead
  12. Currie
  13. Thompson

Subs: Connor, McMekin Sutton, T Burgess

Alternative team from unselected or unavailable players

Feel sorry for Percival with his injuries. After missing large parts of the early season this year he was getting back to top form and then picked up another leg injury which he carried through the Semi-final & Final. Had it been the WC i'm sure he would have delayed treatment but given its just a 'friendly' I understand why he chose to get the treatment now and get himself fit for the start of next year which will be a WC year.

14 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Feel sorry for Percival with his injuries. After missing large parts of the early season this year he was getting back to top form and then picked up another leg injury which he carried through the Semi-final & Final. Had it been the WC i'm sure he would have delayed treatment but given its just a 'friendly' I understand why he chose to get the treatment now and get himself fit for the start of next year which will be a WC year.

If Percival is one of England's centres in the World Cup then we are in trouble. If he was at Salford not Saints he would be barely noticable.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

If Percival is one of England's centres in the World Cup then we are in trouble. If he was at Salford not Saints he would be barely noticable.

Whether you like it or not, when fit he's one of, if not the most dangerous English centre playing in SL. His problem over the years has been getting through a season injury free.  

The fact they're having to resort to Reece Lynne as centre shows how lacking England are in depth in that position when players like Percival are injured and NRL based players aren't available.

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

Whether you like it or not, when fit he's one of, if not the most dangerous English centre playing in SL. His problem over the years has been getting through a season injury free.  

The fact they're having to resort to Reece Lynne as centre shows how lacking England are in depth in that position when players like Percival are injured and NRL based players aren't available.

I think judging without any club bias, Percival and Newman and King are the best English centres. 

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

Yeap,just hoping Newman has an injury free season & the likes of Farnworth,Wardle & Young continue their development & Gildart puts this year behind him & makes a success of his NRL switch to give us some genuine strike in the centres.

On 19/10/2021 at 02:47, ATLANTISMAN said:

Well sponsors like it LED advertising sold out in 3 days 🙂

More of the same upwards and onwards 👍

Paul

G`day Paul, would love to know who the companies are who are forking out their hard-earned to be on the hoardings of a French Rugby League Test match. Any chance of a list ? and are there any standouts that mightn`t have been expected ?

Rocket.

Archived