Small time SL reaction to the prospect of having Toulouse in their league

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

The main suspect had to be the CEO of the club I support. Whilst he's done wonder's stabilising the club, an accountant has never been known for their vision. 

He appears to be on a spiral of cost cutting to fit the ever decreasing cloth. That isn't going to end well. 

Instead of paying his buddy in full for a year extension based on a so-called handshake, he could have used that to hire a new competent and visionary CEO.

2 hours ago, Big Picture said:

"Financially it makes no sense" - Rival Super League clubs reveal concern about impact of Toulouse promotion reads Yorkshire Live's headline.

The idea that clubs in the top pro tier of any sport would worry about fewer "away fans" adding a pittance to their coffers and the modest cost of some extra travel is stunning and puts this sport in an extremely poor light.  I can't imagine Sky's Comcast owners being remotely impressed.

Good grief! I agree with Hetherington. Got to be a first.

Looking to away fans as a clubs financial saviours is stupid and pathetic. It's up to each and every club to play the sort of rugby and to put on match-day events  that attracts home fans first and foremost. Then those fans will become someone else's away fans as they follow their clubs home AND away.

How to raise £30k. Or £60k..or even £90k for travel to France once, twice or even three times 

Say 13  home games a year. Say a margin of £5 after costs for each person though the turnstiles. An increase in home crowds of just 1000 should yield £65k net.  Ok, so it's an approximation and loss making clubs won't generate that level of money. In which case, fix it or sell up. It's not rocket science. It's not even paper plane science. 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

I might well be showing my stupidity here but 

It has been suggested that clubs need to ' find a way ' of monetising Toulouse's inclusion 

Can somebody suggest how they do that 

Exactly ? 

For half of Super League's clubs a bit of basic marketing would be a start.

I could see Hull KR having a French theme at Craven Streat or Wire getting Wolfie to do a daft video that will go viral on social media. Opposition fans may laugh but both clubs have shown this season they aren't afraid to innovate and make their games events to go to.

Gary Hetherington has mentioned himself the potential revenue streams from increased corporate interest in these games.

I think you've more chance of attracting new fans from non-RL backgrounds with names like Toulouse than names like *insert generic M62 heartland club to avoid backlash*. That is no sleight on other clubs nor traditional RL fans but we should embrace the variety new sides from new areas bring.

5 minutes ago, Ray Cashmere said:

For half of Super League's clubs a bit of basic marketing would be a start.

I could see Hull KR having a French theme at Craven Streat or Wire getting Wolfie to do a daft video that will go viral on social media. Opposition fans may laugh but both clubs have shown this season they aren't afraid to innovate and make their games events to go to.

Gary Hetherington has mentioned himself the potential revenue streams from increased corporate interest in these games.

I think you've more chance of attracting new fans from non-RL backgrounds with names like Toulouse than names like *insert generic M62 heartland club to avoid backlash*. That is no sleight on other clubs nor traditional RL fans but we should embrace the variety new sides from new areas bring.

Not really what I was looking for , something more specific than Gary has mentioned 

' embracing the variety ' ? , 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Not really what I was looking for , something more specific than Gary has mentioned 

' embracing the variety ' ? , 

Increasing corporate hospitality for the Toulouse games seems pretty specific to me. If you want a comprehensive marketing strategy go and ask a marketing director, not some strangers on the internet.

The point is some clubs will put the effort in whereas others will have their pre-prepared excuses. I'm no fan of Hull KR but 1 season of good rugby on the field and innovation and 'events' off the field seems to have helped their attendances. It doesn't have to be rocket science and it shouldn't be beyond the capabilities of our sport. 

3 minutes ago, Ray Cashmere said:

Increasing corporate hospitality for the Toulouse games seems pretty specific to me. If you want a comprehensive marketing strategy go and ask a marketing director, not some strangers on the internet.

The point is some clubs will put the effort in whereas others will have their pre-prepared excuses. I'm no fan of Hull KR but 1 season of good rugby on the field and innovation and 'events' off the field seems to have helped their attendances. It doesn't have to be rocket science and it shouldn't be beyond the capabilities of our sport. 

Thats what I thought , nobody really knows how to do it 

36 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

The main suspect had to be the CEO of the club I support. Whilst he's done wonder's stabilising the club, an accountant has never been known for their vision. 

Agreeed. I always  thought that vision was not a required characteristic of accountants.  I though they were reporters of historical accuracy and organisers of tax affairs. They act a a restraining influence. We need leaders.

36 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I might well be showing my stupidity here but 

It has been suggested that clubs need to ' find a way ' of monetising Toulouse's inclusion 

Can somebody suggest how they do that 

Exactly ? 

Hetherington in the article said he could foresee a lot of Leeds corporate interest in taking clients to Toulouse.

I mentioned in a previous thread, if the big clubs were savvy enough to get back to back away games in Toulouse/Catalans it may create the possibility for clubs to sell/market week-long French tours.

3 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Agreeed. I always  thought that vision was not a required characteristic of accountants.  I though they were reporters of historical accuracy and organisers of tax affairs. They act a a restraining influence.

This is BS to be honest.

Has anyone heard from Adam Pearson while we're here? I wonder if he has Heppenstall on speed dial.

Thats what I thought , nobody really knows how to do it 

What specifically are you looking for here? 

Hetherington himself seems excited at the prospect of filling two chartered planes to France instead of one (Leeds charge around £600 for their France "corporate" trip). You can't do that for a coach ride to Wigan - that's monetising Toulouse in the league. 

You can partner with businesses that have interests in both the UK and France and sell corporate hospitality in that context. That's monetising Toulouse in the league. 

You can sell that international aspect to potential new supporters, theme those fixtures and use that empty away end as a blank canvas for tactical promotions. That's monetising Toulouse in the league. 

5 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Agreeed. I always  thought that vision was not a required characteristic of accountants.  I though they were reporters of historical accuracy and organisers of tax affairs. They act a a restraining influence. We need leaders.

My accountant definitely fails to see my vision 

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Hetherington in the article said he could foresee a lot of Leeds corporate interest in taking clients to Toulouse.

I mentioned in a previous thread, if the big clubs were savvy enough to get back to back away games in Toulouse/Catalans it may create the possibility for clubs to sell/market week-long French tours.

Leeds perhaps , doubt if any others could access that kind of interest 

Agree about the away tour potential , and a potential saving for the clubs if consequtive games are arranged 

5 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

What specifically are you looking for here? 

Hetherington himself seems excited at the prospect of filling two chartered planes to France instead of one (Leeds charge around £600 for their France "corporate" trip). You can't do that for a coach ride to Wigan - that's monetising Toulouse in the league. 

You can partner with businesses that have interests in both the UK and France and sell corporate hospitality in that context. That's monetising Toulouse in the league. 

You can sell that international aspect to potential new supporters, theme those fixtures and use that empty away end as a blank canvas for tactical promotions. That's monetising Toulouse in the league. 

So corporate essentially , mostly for Leeds 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Other clubs are allowed to sell corporate hospitality packages too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think in reality it needs to be centrally driven rather than individual clubs. As per the discussion here, it's just the same stuff, to individual clubs it's just another game, maybe with some variety, sure, but that isn't gonna change much. 

I think the game needs to embrace the French connection more than it does - the comp needs to tap into the corporate side of things in France and media deals have been pretty ropey. 

A bit of individual match marketing is small time - SL as a comp needs to focus minds and really put the effort in. 

2 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

And also non-corporate. Are you telling me that 11 clubs that aren't Leeds can't find a way to make a game against Toulouse one that has some appeal? 

Leeds also aren't the only club with corporate partners. 

I don't know , that's why I asked 

True , just that both replies mentioned Leeds 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

I don't know , that's why I asked 

True , just that both replies mentioned Leeds 

Probably because Gary Hetherington was only named source in the article and he was seeing positives.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A slight detour but I didn't want to start a different thread.

You have to love Trent Robinson and his support for both the French and international game.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/10/12/robinson-bennett-backing-french-revival-and-2025-world-cup-bid/

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

25 minutes ago, JohnM said:

There are many different types of accountants, the reporting grunts that you mention are just one. 

Archived