Small time SL reaction to the prospect of having Toulouse in their league

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think in reality it needs to be centrally driven rather than individual clubs. As per the discussion here, it's just the same stuff, to individual clubs it's just another game, maybe with some variety, sure, but that isn't gonna change much. 

I think the game needs to embrace the French connection more than it does - the comp needs to tap into the corporate side of things in France and media deals have been pretty ropey. 

A bit of individual match marketing is small time - SL as a comp needs to focus minds and really put the effort in. 

😀 , And do what exactly Dave ? 

I'm not having a go here , I very much dismiss the daft away fans argument , but similarily , just how Toulouse's inclusion can be monetised ( to any noticeable degree ) is also not very clear , will we attract new fans due to them being in SL ? , Yes last year we saw the SBW effect , but while I expect them to bring in players I doubt we'll see a similar marquee signing 

Just asking , not judging or criticising 

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Probably because Gary Hetherington was only named source in the article and he was seeing positives.

Yes , but just plagiarising his ideas wasn't what I asked , lots of fans are adamant that their inclusion would be financially beneficial , I was just wondering how they thought that might be achieved ?

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes , but just plagiarising his ideas wasn't what I asked , lots of fans are adamant that their inclusion would be financially beneficial , I was just wondering how they thought that might be achieved ?

It’s viable for Sky. Cut to the conclusion.

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

3 minutes ago, Tabby said:

It’s viable for Sky. Cut to the conclusion.

Exactly, Sky have another 26 games available without having to lift a finger if they want them.

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

With 2 French sides in Super League and on a high, why can't Super League attract sponsorship from French sponsors themselves?

I may be wrong but the only new sponsor Super League as a competition seems to have attracted in the last 12 months is Loch Lomond, following their initial partnership with Wigan. Every other sport seems to have tailored, multi-sector deals from replay sponsors to official travel partners.

Unfortunately, defeatism and cynicism are always the easier option in this sport.

The more French clubs we have in Super League the better. Let's kick out 'non ambitious' Salford & Wakefield,  and Castleford with their crappy ground. Oh, and Huddersfield to, with their 20,000 empty seats every home game. I love France I do....just like you lot ! 😀

That's what I miss about SL. All the thousands of away fans who turned at Widnes. Literally dozens of Wakey, Cas, Huddersfield, KR  supporters. Reciprocated of course. 

7 minutes ago, clogdance said:

The more French clubs we have in Super League the better. Let's kick out 'non ambitious' Salford & Wakefield,  and Castleford with their crappy ground. Oh, and Huddersfield to, with their 20,000 empty seats every home game. I love France I do....just like you lot ! 😀

Glad I’m not playing banker in this situ.

2 minutes ago, doc said:

That's what I miss about SL. All the thousands of away fans who turned at Widnes. Literally dozens of Wakey, Cas, Huddersfield, KR  supporters. Reciprocated of course. 

That’s what greed does to the game.

8 minutes ago, doc said:

Thursday & Friday night games don't help do they, unless it's a local derby ?

Newcomers will not be welcomed...especially those from another country.   We saw all the same old statements with Toronto...just change Toronto to Toulouse and there is no difference.....sad.

44 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

😀 , And do what exactly Dave ? 

I'm not having a go here , I very much dismiss the daft away fans argument , but similarily , just how Toulouse's inclusion can be monetised ( to any noticeable degree ) is also not very clear , will we attract new fans due to them being in SL ? , Yes last year we saw the SBW effect , but while I expect them to bring in players I doubt we'll see a similar marquee signing 

Just asking , not judging or criticising 

Do SLE hire agencies to represent them in France for commercial and media deals? We need to make sure we have the right people tapping into this nowwe have 2 teams there. 

We need to coordinate the TV schedules effectively. 

We need to think what to do with Magic and the French element. 

There are loads of other tactical things, but ultimately, we can't just leave it to Catalans and Toulouse to deliver all French benefits. The clubs (via SLE) need to work to gain value, its far more than just a few French silly videos or putting French Onion Soup on in hospitality. 

7 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Newcomers will not be welcomed...especially those from another country.   We saw all the same old statements with Toronto...just change Toronto to Toulouse and there is no difference.....sad.

It isn't is it though?

Toulouse is an entirely different proposition as Dave and Steve commented earlier. 

I wanted Toronto to succeed but it was logistically a bloody nightmare. Add in the owner who was way offside and/or the opportunity to buy a new shaving brush, I'm not surprised it went down the Gary Glitter.

TO do no present anywhere near the same travel challenges, are an established club focused on growth who can demonstrate development work and access to their own player pool and don't necessarily have to offer the same daft money as TWP to entice players to earn their money in Toulouse.

The risks associated with TO are minimal compared with TWP. It really isn't a like for like comparison.

11 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

If we are to believe this 'source' who conveniently 'did not wish to be named', a 'majority' of SL chairmen don't want to have French teams in SL.

This rather begs the question as to why Catalans have been in SL for the past 15 years?

Alternatively the report could be total twaddle 💩

It’s probably from a now former SL chairman

7 hours ago, Dave T said:

Do SLE hire agencies to represent them in France for commercial and media deals? 

This made me laugh, can you imagine it, SL’s marketing department are more likely to put a Batchelors Mushy Peas advert outside the Brutus. 

9 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

What specifically are you looking for here? 

Hetherington himself seems excited at the prospect of filling two chartered planes to France instead of one (Leeds charge around £600 for their France "corporate" trip). You can't do that for a coach ride to Wigan - that's monetising Toulouse in the league. 

You can partner with businesses that have interests in both the UK and France and sell corporate hospitality in that context. That's monetising Toulouse in the league. 

You can sell that international aspect to potential new supporters, theme those fixtures and use that empty away end as a blank canvas for tactical promotions. That's monetising Toulouse in the league. 

Michael just picked out your post due to the reference of £600 per person for a corporate to visit Catalans.  Does that involve a one or two day stopover?

I am interested as the article in the OP states that it costs each SL Club £30k to visit Catalans.  If the team fly in and out on the same day surely-

1. The whole trip doesn’t cost at least £1k per person

2. How many people make the trip? If clubs are pleading poverty just fly in and out on the same day and just send 18 players plus 5 support staff.  Let the CEO and other non-essential people stay at home.

3. the fixture list gives teams the opportunity to book well in advance as regular in season Catalans fixture are not subject to change by SKY at short notice.

8 hours ago, Kayakman said:

They actually did during the Sky commentary in the final. The commentator kept calling Toulouse as Toronto 😕 

24 minutes ago, Eddie said:

This made me laugh, can you imagine it, SL’s marketing department are more likely to put a Batchelors Mushy Peas advert outside the Brutus. 

They do advertise Mushy Peas in Perpignan at SL games. As they should to be fair as they are an SL partner, but in all the time Catalans have been in SL we don't appear to have had a single sponsor from France. We did have BMI Baby for a spell which was clearly an influence of having Catalans in, but ultimately we don't appear to have taken it seriously. 

It's easy for the game to complain about the negatives Catalans bring, without really trying to drive investment from there for the benefit of the comp overall. 

I suppose the biggest challenge is that while Catalans are a good sized SL club, they really do have challenges in their home territory, we know some of the challenges RL faces in France. Having this French rivalry, and quite possibly the biggest crowd of the season (depending on how they stage it) is a chance to put RL on the bigger stage there. 

Archived