Small time SL reaction to the prospect of having Toulouse in their league

15 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Michael just picked out your post due to the reference of £600 per person for a corporate to visit Catalans.  Does that involve a one or two day stopover?

I am interested as the article in the OP states that it costs each SL Club £30k to visit Catalans.  If the team fly in and out on the same day surely-

1. The whole trip doesn’t cost at least £1k per person

2. How many people make the trip? If clubs are pleading poverty just fly in and out on the same day and just send 18 players plus 5 support staff.  Let the CEO and other non-essential people stay at home.

3. the fixture list gives teams the opportunity to book well in advance as regular in season Catalans fixture are not subject to change by SKY at short notice.

When I've done this trip with Leeds in the past it's been same day trip on the chartered flight with the players and staff etc. A mate of mine stood on JP's foot when getting on the plane and we were giving him hell for potentially injuring him!!

You arrive at Leeds Bradford nice and early (6.30am-ish). Get into Perpignan for mid-late morning. Have a few hours in town before heading to the game. Straight to the airport afterwards and you are tucked up in bed late night in England.

Yes, its a bloody long day. BUT, you get access to the players and staff, you get a good few hours to explore/have a french lunch in town and then the game. I thought it was pretty good value for the money!

No doubt all clubs could do this, you dont need to sell masses of seats to fill the plane and £600 is hardly insurmountable for supporters. Equally, you look at it as a cost reduction exercise if you really have a negative mindset about the whole thing/cant sell the plane out. Anyone that produces £600 is reducing your cost of flying the team out.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds cracking value!

Your last sentence makes so much sense.  Take my club Cas if they approached businesses in a 10 mile radius and invited the owners to visit Catalans/Toulouse on the same basis then as you say the cost to the club decreases.  It is a dereliction of duty if a club does not do this!

So I'm assuming this story is complete BS.

"Another top-flight supremo who did not wish to be named said: “If you had a secret ballot among Super League clubs about whether they want a French team in, it would be 100 per cent no."

last time I checked Catalans were in SL so why would the Wakefield chairman say that unless he was an idiot. It's all made up! 

13 hours ago, Big Picture said:

"Financially it makes no sense" - Rival Super League clubs reveal concern about impact of Toulouse promotion reads Yorkshire Live's headline.

The idea that clubs in the top pro tier of any sport would worry about fewer "away fans" adding a pittance to their coffers and the modest cost of some extra travel is stunning and puts this sport in an extremely poor light.  I can't imagine Sky's Comcast owners being remotely impressed.

The Sun newspaper welcomes Toulouse into Super League which means the Murdoch organisation see's these as a positive for the game and the benefits it could bring in crowds and sponsorship. Its always useful to have any big organisation on your side and in your corner.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/16377491/toulouse-being-promoted-could-mean-new-money-and-record-crowds-in-super-league/

7 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

The Sun newspaper welcomes Toulouse into Super League which means the Murdoch organisation see's these as a positive for the game and the benefits it could bring in crowds and sponsorship. Its always useful to have any big organisation on your side and in your corner.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/16377491/toulouse-being-promoted-could-mean-new-money-and-record-crowds-in-super-league/

It seems a bit early to be talking about 33,000 crowds, Toulouse FC are obviously light years ahead of Olympique and they don’t get that for their derbies, and not I suspect would the Union side. I do like the optimism and positivity though, it’s refreshing. 

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It seems a bit early to be talking about 33,000 crowds, Toulouse FC are obviously light years ahead of Olympique and they don’t get that for their derbies, and not I suspect would the Union side. I do like the optimism and positivity though, it’s refreshing. 

Indeed. and like you say its a positive

17 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I heard Rupert is a big fan of Sylvain Houles. 

I'm all for getting excited and being ambitious, but we don't need to go over the top with the benefits. 

SL's challenge is getting more and more strong teams in the comp. Toulouse replacing Leigh/London/Widnes should lead to a stronger club being in SL. The best case is that they do what Catalans do, and maybe even bigger, they are competitive, they develop ayers, they get fans and sponsors and they become a big player in SL. 

The risk here is they lose games next year, and they lose interest from fans and they bumble along with 3k in and become a Salford. 

The signs are positive, but we need to see how it now develops.

45 minutes ago, tiffers said:

When I've done this trip with Leeds in the past it's been same day trip on the chartered flight with the players and staff etc. A mate of mine stood on JP's foot when getting on the plane and we were giving him hell for potentially injuring him!!

You arrive at Leeds Bradford nice and early (6.30am-ish). Get into Perpignan for mid-late morning. Have a few hours in town before heading to the game. Straight to the airport afterwards and you are tucked up in bed late night in England.

Yes, its a bloody long day. BUT, you get access to the players and staff, you get a good few hours to explore/have a french lunch in town and then the game. I thought it was pretty good value for the money!

No doubt all clubs could do this, you dont need to sell masses of seats to fill the plane and £600 is hardly insurmountable for supporters. Equally, you look at it as a cost reduction exercise if you really have a negative mindset about the whole thing/cant sell the plane out. Anyone that produces £600 is reducing your cost of flying the team out.

And to be fair to perpignan, theres a lot more to see of Toulouse. I think the issue would be youd barely scratch the surface in a couple of hours in town pre match.

2 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

And to be fair to perpignan, theres a lot more to see of Toulouse. I think the issue would be youd barely scratch the surface in a couple of hours in town pre match.

In that most of the people who visit France for a RL game without being sexist will be men, going with their mates and the most they will likely see will be either the inside or the seating area outside of bars, especially if they are on a one day visit.

Those who want to see and take in the sights, the culture and the expierence of Southern France will choose an extended stay a long weekend or even more, and most probably have her indoors accompanying be she a fan of the game or not. 

13 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

The March Victor Hugo is one of the best in the world. I could spend and entire day just in there!

Toulouse is a fantastic trip

9 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Newcomers will not be welcomed...especially those from another country.   We saw all the same old statements with Toronto...just change Toronto to Toulouse and there is no difference.....sad.

Well Ottawa are still planning to join the British league in the very near future.

Stand by for another 100 threads on why it should not be allowed, it's madness, " who is going to feed t'whippet" etc etc etc.

See you in Ottowa😁

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

33 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

In that most of the people who visit France for a RL game without being sexist will be men, going with their mates and the most they will likely see will be either the inside or the seating area outside of bars, especially if they are on a one day visit.

Your description sounds ironically like you were there with us on that trip...

2 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Michael just picked out your post due to the reference of £600 per person for a corporate to visit Catalans.  Does that involve a one or two day stopover?

I am interested as the article in the OP states that it costs each SL Club £30k to visit Catalans.  If the team fly in and out on the same day surely-

1. The whole trip doesn’t cost at least £1k per person

2. How many people make the trip? If clubs are pleading poverty just fly in and out on the same day and just send 18 players plus 5 support staff.  Let the CEO and other non-essential people stay at home.

3. the fixture list gives teams the opportunity to book well in advance as regular in season Catalans fixture are not subject to change by SKY at short notice.

Clubs have been going day of the game and travelling home after the game. There’s no way thats costing £30k. 

As a supporter of a non Super League team I am a little perplexed as to the negativity by some Super League clubs and fans to the promotion of Toulouse.

I hear the argument suggested that clubs will suffer financially because of a lack of away fans when they play Toulouse or even Catalans at home.

Well shouldn’t those clubs be doing something to get more local or nearby fans into their grounds to spend their £20-£25 or whatever it is to get in?

Really clubs in all the divisions should not have to rely on the away fans to get them to at least break even.

And if they do then there is something blatantly bloody obviously wrong at their club isn’t there?

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Been on quite a few myself Tiffers?

But the missus put her foot down, and said she was coming when going to both Aus and NZ on a couple of tours.

Sounds like we're both in the same boat!

The missus came with me to Aus and the mere mention of a world cup trip to Southern France and she was hot on the tail of that one! My only maneuver now is to hope that a Nov date puts her off given the sun will have well and truly packed up by that point in the year! 😄

2 minutes ago, tiffers said:

Sounds like we're both in the same boat!

The missus came with me to Aus and the mere mention of a world cup trip to Southern France and she was hot on the tail of that one! My only maneuver now is to hope that a Nov date puts her off given the sun will have well and truly packed up by that point in the year! 😄

Guaranteed it will be warmer in the South of France in November than here, less chance of rain and not as windy, sorry mate, it seems like you will be on the arm again, and so will I👀

55 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Well Ottawa are still planning to join the British league in the very near future.

Stand by for another 100 threads on why it should not be allowed, it's madness, " who is going to feed t'whippet" etc etc etc.

See you in Ottowa😁

It will be interesting to see what develops there...Ottawa is a great party town but I don't know if they are ready for the Bearman on a tear...just don't know if there are enough cops in the city to handle it Oldtimer!  By the way there is a large female black bear that keeps tearing down my birdfeeder...any suggestions...and don't say stop putting our feed...its not fair for the Cardinals!

I'm extremely happy we have Tolouse in SL but in reality it should of happened last year if not 2/3 years ago.

It makes the competition look and feel much more elite with another big city club, who are a proper historic rugby league club not just a team plopped in Toronto. 

To think we could have ended up with Featherstone in SL when we are trying to prove to SKY that we are a top product.

22 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

It will be interesting to see what develops there...Ottawa is a great party town but I don't know if they are ready for the Bearman on a tear...just don't know if there are enough cops in the city to handle it Oldtimer!  By the way there is a large female black bear that keeps tearing down my birdfeeder...any suggestions...and don't say stop putting our feed...its not fair for the Cardinals!

Strip down to your boxers and move quickly towards her, she will do a runner that's for sure😏

2 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Sounds cracking value!

Your last sentence makes so much sense.  Take my club Cas if they approached businesses in a 10 mile radius and invited the owners to visit Catalans/Toulouse on the same basis then as you say the cost to the club decreases.  It is a dereliction of duty if a club does not do this!

well what I'd do is do some research and identify business in the Toulouse area that could be useful to business around your club. Provide good business analysis to both sides of the channel and help to build those links - even if only from a learning and sharing exercise.  

Also approach government embassy and trade organisations to assist - they are surprising helpful and when I was working we used those organisations a lot even down to using embassy facilities.... you get the idea.  

Anyway wish RFL with good marketing organisation would be doing this stuff and offer as a service to the clubs...

Anyway its what we did in our business.

Archived