Small time SL reaction to the prospect of having Toulouse in their league

1 hour ago, Mattrhino said:

I'm extremely happy we have Tolouse in SL but in reality it should of happened last year if not 2/3 years ago.

It makes the competition look and feel much more elite with another big city club, who are a proper historic rugby league club not just a team plopped in Toronto. 

To think we could have ended up with Featherstone in SL when we are trying to prove to SKY that we are a top product.

I think this is harsh on Toronto.

They weren't just a team. They have their own fans who were very respectful and it feels now they are being derided and forgotten because a "new" team has emerged. 

They also drew a lot bigger crowds in the UK than any other overseas team. 

Regarding Featherstone, Sky aren't deterred if a team is  small or unfashionable. They have experts who can promote any angle. Look at the interest in Brentford. I think it was Martyn who said only league fans have this concern. 

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Niels said:

I think this is harsh on Toronto.

They weren't just a team. They have their own fans who were very respectful and it feels now they are being derided and forgotten because a "new" team has emerged. 

They also drew a lot bigger crowds in the UK than any other overseas team. 

Regarding Featherstone, Sky aren't deterred if a team is  small or unfashionable. They have experts who can promote any angle. Look at the interest in Brentford. I think it was Martyn who said only league fans have this concern. 

I don't think so, alot of soccer pundits and fans bemoan the amount of Burnley v Watford type games the PL has. 

3 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

The March Victor Hugo is one of the best in the world. I could spend and entire day just in there!

Toulouse is a fantastic trip

While the rest of the Fev ' massive ' are in the Melting Pot 😉

2 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

As a supporter of a non Super League team I am a little perplexed as to the negativity by some Super League clubs and fans to the promotion of Toulouse.

I hear the argument suggested that clubs will suffer financially because of a lack of away fans when they play Toulouse or even Catalans at home.

Well shouldn’t those clubs be doing something to get more local or nearby fans into their grounds to spend their £20-£25 or whatever it is to get in?

Really clubs in all the divisions should not have to rely on the away fans to get them to at least break even.

And if they do then there is something blatantly bloody obviously wrong at their club isn’t there?

They shouldn't rely on away support, but they do

Some of these clubs idea of marketing is to put a poster in a shop or pub window and just hope people turn up.

The world has moved on from a meat raffle on a Friday night at the local pub or club to generate some money and some Rugby League clubs need to move on as well into the 21st century with their marketing

Clubs don't ' rely ' on away fans 

They do however want fans from anywhere to attend 

They should all be doing more to help and encourage those fans from wherever to attend 

Simples , as the little furry animal says 

13 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

No club should budget for away fans.  If 500 fans or for wakey an extra 1000 fans vs Fev one game makes all the difference club shouldnt be in SL.  

Despite itself RFL and SL are being given a chance to breath some life back into the game.  

Wakefield need to sort out their ground,  put a 3g pitch down and Salford need to get out of that box.  

They DONT 

They do budget using historical numbers of total attendances against teams from previous years 

Obviously 

16 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

No club should budget for away fans.  If 500 fans or for wakey an extra 1000 fans vs Fev one game makes all the difference club shouldnt be in SL.  

Despite itself RFL and SL are being given a chance to breath some life back into the game.  

Wakefield need to sort out their ground,  put a 3g pitch down and Salford need to get out of that box.  

Wakey haven't got the money to sort out their ground and neither do Cas

The Red Devils need to move out ASAP and move to a smaller capacity ground where their lack of fans is not so noticeable on our TV screens.

These 3 clubs don't have the finances or facilities to be successful on regular basis and are really championship clubs playing in Super League

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Of course they should budget for away fans. 

It's an income stream. Why ignore it? That's just weird. 

It is likely a bigger income stream than their main sponsorship deal for some clubs. 

6 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Michael just picked out your post due to the reference of £600 per person for a corporate to visit Catalans.  Does that involve a one or two day stopover?

I am interested as the article in the OP states that it costs each SL Club £30k to visit Catalans.  If the team fly in and out on the same day surely-

1. The whole trip doesn’t cost at least £1k per person

2. How many people make the trip? If clubs are pleading poverty just fly in and out on the same day and just send 18 players plus 5 support staff.  Let the CEO and other non-essential people stay at home.

3. the fixture list gives teams the opportunity to book well in advance as regular in season Catalans fixture are not subject to change by SKY at short notice.

My understanding is that Leeds have done both 'in and out on the day' and one night stopover trips. From my recollection, Leeds have preferred to do the former as they prefer to not have the players kicking their heals and getting cabin fever in hotels. 

They brand it as a corporate trip, rather than a supporter trip because at that price point, they're essentially looking for the sponsors who are travelling with them to cover both their cost and the cost of the players and staff. 

I don't know what it costs to charter a 737-type aircraft these days but assuming you have 170 seats, 30-40 of which are probably taken by players and club staff, then you've still got a lot of seats to sell and cover that cost. 

13 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It is likely a bigger income stream than their main sponsorship deal for some clubs. 

How can they budget for away fans when they don't know how many away fans will turn up on a certain day?

The same as you can't budget for Challenge cup crowds for the same reason

23 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Well there is your problem.  Budget might be wrong word but perhaps this dependency is not viable.  Wakefield should be thinking solely about how to grow their own fanbase rather than waiting for the right teams to get promoted. 

What dependency? 

Nobody depends on £20k per year (the difference between Fev and Catalans as an example) , they have income of millions of quid. 

People need to stop treating extremists as reflective of the game. 

14 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

How can they budget for away fans when they don't know how many away fans will turn up on a certain day?

Very little income is guaranteed. It doesn't stop you having them in your budget. 

26 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Dacia? Would a division of Renault be as interested in SL were it not for the presence in two of one of its brand's biggest markets? 

Yes, potentially. That could be a good shout. I still expect it was a deal arranged in a Yorkshire pub 😆

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

Ignoring the point that away fans are worth more to some SL clubs than commercial sponsors.  We're talking about SL here. 

I meant Fev or Toulouse as that has been the prompt, but in reality I'm taking 750 fans versus 0.

But if a club gets 1k average away fans that could easily be £260k income per year. Could be more, could be less. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

They have to Dave as you say. It is basic economics. 

At Batley they need to know the estimate of how many fans are expected. For instance home games against Dewsbury Bradford, Fev, Leigh will generate more income as they bring a lot of support. Knowing this will allow the club to maybe look at signing an extra or better player. 

If the four mentioned clubs were in a different division then there would be no extra money.

This principle applies regardless of home support except for the Man utd's who can sell out every game.

That's why for the FA cup and challenge cup most teams want a home draw against a well supported team. It means extra money to build a better team. 

1 hour ago, lucky 7 said:

Good question.

You "profile" and estimate each month usually. The away fans figures are calculated using guides from previous years, averages etc taking into account the day and date played. 

What is surely the obvious point here is that some clubs in Super League operate on fundamentally different fiscal outlooks. We're not talking smaller versions of bigger outfits, we're talking about entirely different business models. To put it in perspective, this isn't Co-Op or Aldi vs Asda or Tesco, its local corner shop vs Supermarket.

That is totally understandable for some clubs to operate that way. It makes very valid sense for them to do so. It sounds a bit tin pot because it is, but the clubs themselves shouldn't be criticised for that as they are effectively being asked to operate at a level way beyond their means and they are protecting that status.

I wouldn’t minded seeing some passionate West Yorkshire derbies between Featherstone, Wakefield and Castleford (I’m guessing).

Must admit I found myself rooting for them as the underdog in the Championship Grand Final.

But Toulouse won and it’s vital that Super League chairman take advantage of their potential and not just see this as a threat, but an opportunity.

56 minutes ago, M j M said:

Why is there this assumption that it's Wakey and Carter who made these comments? I'd have thought there are other candidates for this sort of tripe from clubs that are less well run that Wakefield.

To be fair he's usually one of the more vocal ones but your right, nothing has been confirmed. I just posted what most were probably thinking. 

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

But what is more in Wakefields control,  growing their own crowds by 1000, putting a 3g pitch down so they have a constant facility and new stand to increase commercial income or praying for the right promotion?

Just like England begging Australia as an International RL strategy, clubs have to look to what they can do first.  Wakefield could be and should be looking to match the 7000 of Cas in a modern stadium. 

Always nice to see these things turning into Wakefield bashing sessions, however the club is trying to do exactly what you are proposing. Whether it comes off is another matter though! 

3 hours ago, Niels said:

They have to Dave as you say. It is basic economics. 

At Batley they need to know the estimate of how many fans are expected. For instance home games against Dewsbury Bradford, Fev, Leigh will generate more income as they bring a lot of support. Knowing this will allow the club to maybe look at signing an extra or better player. 

If the four mentioned clubs were in a different division then there would be no extra money.

This principle applies regardless of home support except for the Man utd's who can sell out every game.

That's why for the FA cup and challenge cup most teams want a home draw against a well supported team. It means extra money to build a better team. 

Please stop talking plain common sense, there’s no place for it here!

Archived