Small time SL reaction to the prospect of having Toulouse in their league

5 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

They shouldn't rely on away support, but they do

Some of these clubs idea of marketing is to put a poster in a shop or pub window and just hope people turn up.

The world has moved on from a meat raffle on a Friday night at the local pub or club to generate some money and some Rugby League clubs need to move on as well into the 21st century with their marketing

You are right.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

But what is more in Wakefields control,  growing their own crowds by 1000, putting a 3g pitch down so they have a constant facility and new stand to increase commercial income or praying for the right promotion?

Just like England begging Australia as an International RL strategy, clubs have to look to what they can do first.  Wakefield could be and should be looking to match the 7000 of Cas in a modern stadium. 

Why do you think clubs are just praying for the right promotion? 

If only clubs had thought of actually trying to do some stuff themselves. 

These either/or views you are presenting are as Hollow as the ones you are criticising. 

We need to stop judging all of SL because of one or two loudmouth tailing nonsense. 

3 hours ago, M j M said:

Why is there this assumption that it's Wakey and Carter who made these comments? I'd have thought there are other candidates for this sort of tripe from clubs that are less well run that Wakefield.

It could also be a Bulls supporter as the comparison is with them. Has anyone seen Gledhill recently?

I think people take these comments too literally, they are a bit of a red herring. I think there are some people who fundamentally don't believe that SL should be an international league. As I said elsewhere (it may be on this thread) I don't have a problem with that viewpoint, it's not on I agree with, and thankfully its not one that gains any kind of majority in the game to create a problem for Catalans or Toulouse - although it was a problem for TWP as that was probably a step too far for even some of the more moderate clubs.

But let's look at the actual grumble - away fans. At the moment it wouldn't be unusual for say 3 or 400 fans from a weak SL club going to a game as away fans. What kind of income is that driving - let's be generous and put it at £30 per head - that may be £9-12k income - for clubs that have income of between £4.5 to £10m. Its miniscule. Its a red herring. What this person means is that they don't believe it should be an international league and French teams shouldn't be in it. 

If you were going to be a real hard-nosed penny-pincher, you could make an argument that crowds of 45k and 50k for our major finals are disasters, no money is tipped into the pot from French deals, and now with 2 teams the central funding going to France over England is c£3m per annum. Thankfully the game isn't run by people so short-sighted (despite fans keep telling us it is) and French teams are being embedded into the UK pyramid. 

The issue comes when those given air time are those who provide the best click-bait. It is no coincidence that the article wasn't positioned as Hetherington celebrates the promotion of Toulouse, but was all about an anonymous naysayer. Why would that be? 

1 hour ago, whatmichaelsays said:

That's my thoughts. The remarks are somewhat "on brand" for him, although he isn't the only candidate. 

If I had to put money on anyone, it would be Carter, although we have seen him and Hudgell have consistent views, Pearson likes sounding off an DB is obviously someone with a real chip on his shoulder regarding TO.

19 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If I had to put money on anyone, it would be Carter, although we have seen him and Hudgell have consistent views, Pearson likes sounding off an DB is obviously someone with a real chip on his shoulder regarding TO.

Those would be my four candidates although Hudgell isn't really the voice of HKR any more. Davey might think it but wouldn't say it (probably). Lenagan who knows, the state of his club he might be reliant on those fans.

6 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Too true.... there is never enough distance twixt me and suggy and the rest of the barm pots with him!!🤣🤣🤣

I called into the Fev pub in Blackpool for a chat " he's swanning round France " was the reply " Tart " I replied , " who'd rather be in France than Blackpool " ?

50 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think people take these comments too literally, they are a bit of a red herring. I think there are some people who fundamentally don't believe that SL should be an international league. As I said elsewhere (it may be on this thread) I don't have a problem with that viewpoint, it's not on I agree with, and thankfully its not one that gains any kind of majority in the game to create a problem for Catalans or Toulouse - although it was a problem for TWP as that was probably a step too far for even some of the more moderate clubs.

But let's look at the actual grumble - away fans. At the moment it wouldn't be unusual for say 3 or 400 fans from a weak SL club going to a game as away fans. What kind of income is that driving - let's be generous and put it at £30 per head - that may be £9-12k income - for clubs that have income of between £4.5 to £10m. Its miniscule. Its a red herring. What this person means is that they don't believe it should be an international league and French teams shouldn't be in it. 

If you were going to be a real hard-nosed penny-pincher, you could make an argument that crowds of 45k and 50k for our major finals are disasters, no money is tipped into the pot from French deals, and now with 2 teams the central funding going to France over England is c£3m per annum. Thankfully the game isn't run by people so short-sighted (despite fans keep telling us it is) and French teams are being embedded into the UK pyramid. 

The issue comes when those given air time are those who provide the best click-bait. It is no coincidence that the article wasn't positioned as Hetherington celebrates the promotion of Toulouse, but was all about an anonymous naysayer. Why would that be? 

They even added Karl Fitzpatrick to the article as a later addition yet still went with the single anonymous voice angle despite having three named SL sources.

6 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

How can they budget for away fans when they don't know how many away fans will turn up on a certain day?

The same as you can't budget for Challenge cup crowds for the same reason

They don't know how many home fans are going to turn up either 

They use historical attendances from previous years to ' guess ' roughly how many fans will attend any given fixture , then budget accordingly 

45 minutes ago, Dave T said:

To be honest I can't see it being Derek Beaumont. Why would he not want his name attributed to the comments given he's already threatened legal action? It would also be the most coherent thing DB has said so we can probably rule him out.

4 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

But what is more in Wakefields control,  growing their own crowds by 1000, putting a 3g pitch down so they have a constant facility and new stand to increase commercial income or praying for the right promotion?

Just like England begging Australia as an International RL strategy, clubs have to look to what they can do first.  Wakefield could be and should be looking to match the 7000 of Cas in a modern stadium. 

They are 

9 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

To be honest I can't see it being Derek Beaumont. Why would he not want his name attributed to the comments given he's already threatened legal action? It would also be the most coherent thing DB has said so we can probably rule him out.

Plus Derek Trump is not in Super League anymore so….

15 hours ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

To be fair he's usually one of the more vocal ones but your right, nothing has been confirmed. I just posted what most were probably thinking. 

Understandable, because Mr Carter does not mince his words and is open to talk to the media, he will be one of their first the reporters contact.

23 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Strip down to your boxers and move quickly towards her, she will do a runner that's for sure😏

I wasn't ready for that reply Harry....hang in there Old Chum.  Missing all of our arguments...you are a hard man to defeat in written battle.

Perhaps worth observing that the T.O president has been talking to the media about the extra millions they'll make from the UK TV deal and thousands of traveling British fans, plus the large number of away fans for the derby with Catalans 

14 minutes ago, JonM said:

Perhaps worth observing that the T.O president has been talking to the media about the extra millions they'll make from the UK TV deal and thousands of traveling British fans, plus the large number of away fans for the derby with Catalans 

Must admit I was gutted not to get the chance to go to a Toronto away game but Toulouse being so much easier and cheaper to get to will do instead, I expect loads of people will go, in the first season at least. It may impact on numbers travelling to Catalans away though, if people don’t want to do two French away games a year. 

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Must admit I was gutted not to get the chance to go to a Toronto away game but Toulouse being so much easier and cheaper to get to will do instead, I expect loads of people will go, in the first season at least. It may impact on numbers travelling to Catalans away though, if people don’t want to do two French away games a year. 

Recommend staying in carcassonne and travelling up to tls on the train too if you're on a budget. Cheaper flight. Nice town.

12 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

.... after the best part of taking millions in tv money over 20 years ...

Wouldn't it have been a little less unreasonable to say: earning millions in tv money, in the same way as, say, Leeds or Wigan or any of the other teams who have maintained a place in Super League?

33 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

The years they were protected from relegation, no. The constant voting to keep money from other clubs like leigh last year for protectionism, no. Wakefield have contributed little to the comp for many years. 

I want Wakefield to be more competitive.  They can only do that by sorting out the ground,  getting the 3g down and growing their own fanbase and commercial income. 

They have had plenty of time and if they camt do that I want them out very quickly for teams (like Newcastle and York) who can and will. 

Wow I can feel the faux outrage emitting from your armchair up here! FWIW Newcastle and York appear to be building nicely in the Championship and if and when their time comes then good luck to em.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Understandable, because Mr Carter does not mince his words and is open to talk to the media, he will be one of their first the reporters contact.

If he keeps stripping back and stripping back Wakefield's squad through cost cutting his time as a SLE director will be coming to an end very soon. Then he can cherp all he wants from the back benches.

24 minutes ago, Scubby said:

If he keeps stripping back and stripping back Wakefield's squad through cost cutting his time as a SLE director will be coming to an end very soon. Then he can cherp all he wants from the back benches.

Oh, I think what he would have to say would be very interesting, I can't for one minute think he has disclosed everything said or disclosed from the comments and intentions spoken in the hallowed halls of the SL Chairmen's meetings, lots more beans to be spilled I should think.

6 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Not, just people who either kae bad faith arguments or are not actually contributing to the discussion in a meaningful way. Not going to feed trolls anymore so that´s a mute I´m afraid. 

You made a list of things you thought Wakefield should be doing, I replied that the club are trying to do those things, redeveloped stand however is reliant on a developer doing the right thing for a change. New floodlights have just being fitted, a 4g pitch is being laid in the close season. How’s that trolling?

you mentioned a couple of clubs and I’ve wished em well. Mute away mate!

9 minutes ago, Morris Wanchuk said:

You made a list of things you thought Wakefield should be doing, I replied that the club are trying to do those things, redeveloped stand however is reliant on a developer doing the right thing for a change. New floodlights have just being fitted, a 4g pitch is being laid in the close season. How’s that trolling?

you mentioned a couple of clubs and I’ve wished em well. Mute away mate!

Shame as Wakefield have had one of the best pitches in the country for a long time. But needs must and 7-day income is paramount.

Archived