Jump to content

Small time SL reaction to the prospect of having Toulouse in their league


Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Well Ottawa are still planning to join the British league in the very near future.

Stand by for another 100 threads on why it should not be allowed, it's madness, " who is going to feed t'whippet" etc etc etc.

See you in Ottowa😁

It will be interesting to see what develops there...Ottawa is a great party town but I don't know if they are ready for the Bearman on a tear...just don't know if there are enough cops in the city to handle it Oldtimer!  By the way there is a large female black bear that keeps tearing down my birdfeeder...any suggestions...and don't say stop putting our feed...its not fair for the Cardinals!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I'm extremely happy we have Tolouse in SL but in reality it should of happened last year if not 2/3 years ago.

It makes the competition look and feel much more elite with another big city club, who are a proper historic rugby league club not just a team plopped in Toronto. 

To think we could have ended up with Featherstone in SL when we are trying to prove to SKY that we are a top product.

  • Like 5
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

It will be interesting to see what develops there...Ottawa is a great party town but I don't know if they are ready for the Bearman on a tear...just don't know if there are enough cops in the city to handle it Oldtimer!  By the way there is a large female black bear that keeps tearing down my birdfeeder...any suggestions...and don't say stop putting our feed...its not fair for the Cardinals!

Strip down to your boxers and move quickly towards her, she will do a runner that's for sure😏

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Sounds cracking value!

Your last sentence makes so much sense.  Take my club Cas if they approached businesses in a 10 mile radius and invited the owners to visit Catalans/Toulouse on the same basis then as you say the cost to the club decreases.  It is a dereliction of duty if a club does not do this!

well what I'd do is do some research and identify business in the Toulouse area that could be useful to business around your club. Provide good business analysis to both sides of the channel and help to build those links - even if only from a learning and sharing exercise.  

Also approach government embassy and trade organisations to assist - they are surprising helpful and when I was working we used those organisations a lot even down to using embassy facilities.... you get the idea.  

Anyway wish RFL with good marketing organisation would be doing this stuff and offer as a service to the clubs...

Anyway its what we did in our business.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mattrhino said:

I'm extremely happy we have Tolouse in SL but in reality it should of happened last year if not 2/3 years ago.

It makes the competition look and feel much more elite with another big city club, who are a proper historic rugby league club not just a team plopped in Toronto. 

To think we could have ended up with Featherstone in SL when we are trying to prove to SKY that we are a top product.

I think this is harsh on Toronto.

They weren't just a team. They have their own fans who were very respectful and it feels now they are being derided and forgotten because a "new" team has emerged. 

They also drew a lot bigger crowds in the UK than any other overseas team. 

Regarding Featherstone, Sky aren't deterred if a team is  small or unfashionable. They have experts who can promote any angle. Look at the interest in Brentford. I think it was Martyn who said only league fans have this concern. 

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Niels said:

I think this is harsh on Toronto.

They weren't just a team. They have their own fans who were very respectful and it feels now they are being derided and forgotten because a "new" team has emerged. 

They also drew a lot bigger crowds in the UK than any other overseas team. 

Regarding Featherstone, Sky aren't deterred if a team is  small or unfashionable. They have experts who can promote any angle. Look at the interest in Brentford. I think it was Martyn who said only league fans have this concern. 

 

I don't think so, alot of soccer pundits and fans bemoan the amount of Burnley v Watford type games the PL has. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

The March Victor Hugo is one of the best in the world. I could spend and entire day just in there!

Toulouse is a fantastic trip

While the rest of the Fev ' massive ' are in the Melting Pot 😉

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

As a supporter of a non Super League team I am a little perplexed as to the negativity by some Super League clubs and fans to the promotion of Toulouse.

 I hear the argument suggested that clubs will suffer financially because of a lack of away fans when they play Toulouse or even Catalans at home.

Well shouldn’t those clubs be doing something to get more local or nearby fans into their grounds to spend their £20-£25 or whatever it is to get in?

Really clubs in all the divisions should not have to rely on the away fans to get them to at least break even.

 And if they do then there is something blatantly bloody obviously wrong at their club isn’t there?

They shouldn't rely on away support, but they do

Some of these clubs idea of marketing is to put a poster in a shop or pub window and just hope people turn up.

The world has moved on from a meat raffle on a Friday night at the local pub or club to generate some money and some Rugby League clubs need to move on as well into the 21st century with their marketing

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Clubs don't ' rely ' on away fans 

They do however want fans from anywhere to attend 

They should all be doing more to help and encourage those fans from wherever to attend 

Simples , as the little furry animal says 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No club should budget for away fans.  If 500 fans or for wakey an extra 1000 fans vs Fev one game makes all the difference club shouldnt be in SL.  

Despite itself RFL and SL are being given a chance to breath some life back into the game.  

Wakefield need to sort out their ground,  put a 3g pitch down and Salford need to get out of that box.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

No club should budget for away fans.  If 500 fans or for wakey an extra 1000 fans vs Fev one game makes all the difference club shouldnt be in SL.  

Despite itself RFL and SL are being given a chance to breath some life back into the game.  

Wakefield need to sort out their ground,  put a 3g pitch down and Salford need to get out of that box.  

They DONT 

They do budget using historical numbers of total attendances against teams from previous years 

Obviously 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

No club should budget for away fans.  If 500 fans or for wakey an extra 1000 fans vs Fev one game makes all the difference club shouldnt be in SL.  

Despite itself RFL and SL are being given a chance to breath some life back into the game.  

Wakefield need to sort out their ground,  put a 3g pitch down and Salford need to get out of that box.  

Wakey haven't got the money to sort out their ground and neither do Cas

The Red Devils need to move out ASAP and move to a smaller capacity ground where their lack of fans is not so noticeable on our TV screens.

These 3 clubs don't have the finances or facilities to be successful on regular basis and are really championship clubs playing in Super League

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

Wakey haven't got the money to sort out their ground and neither do Cas

The Red Devils need to move out ASAP and move to a smaller capacity ground where their lack of fans is not so noticeable on our TV screens.

These 3 clubs don't have the finances or facilities to be successful on regular basis and are really championship clubs playing in Super League

Well Cas get great crowds for what they have. Salford got more unlucky than most with covid and lack a real rival. If they can get out of their soulless box and plonk a 3g pitch down they could have a sustainable future. 

Wakefield is the most disappointing.  It is the same size as Wigan and needs that ground redeveloped with a 3g pitch.  If they can do that and not be a club that is only able to budget as a basement dweller, it could have a huge impact on the league, giving us another strong team.  RL is closer to having a stacked 12-14 SL than people realise. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

They DONT 

They do budget using historical numbers of total attendances against teams from previous years 

Obviously 

So....rely on big followings from Wigan/Leeds/Warrington/Hull?

That's relying on away fans, whichever way you want to dress it up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

No club should budget for away fans.  If 500 fans or for wakey an extra 1000 fans vs Fev one game makes all the difference club shouldnt be in SL.  

Despite itself RFL and SL are being given a chance to breath some life back into the game.  

Wakefield need to sort out their ground,  put a 3g pitch down and Salford need to get out of that box.  

Of course they should budget for away fans. 

It's an income stream. Why ignore it? That's just weird. 

It is likely a bigger income stream than their main sponsorship deal for some clubs. 

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

 Michael just picked out your post due to the reference of £600 per person for a corporate to visit Catalans.  Does that involve a one or two day stopover?

I am interested as the article in the OP states that it costs each SL Club £30k to visit Catalans.  If the team fly in and out on the same day surely-

1. The whole trip doesn’t cost at least £1k per person

2. How many people make the trip? If clubs are pleading poverty just fly in and out on the same day and just send 18 players plus 5 support staff.  Let the CEO and other non-essential people stay at home.

3. the fixture list gives teams the opportunity to book well in advance as regular in season Catalans fixture are not subject to change by SKY at short notice.

My understanding is that Leeds have done both 'in and out on the day' and one night stopover trips. From my recollection, Leeds have preferred to do the former as they prefer to not have the players kicking their heals and getting cabin fever in hotels. 

They brand it as a corporate trip, rather than a supporter trip because at that price point, they're essentially looking for the sponsors who are travelling with them to cover both their cost and the cost of the players and staff. 

I don't know what it costs to charter a 737-type aircraft these days but assuming you have 170 seats, 30-40 of which are probably taken by players and club staff, then you've still got a lot of seats to sell and cover that cost. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Of course they should budget for away fans. 

It's an income stream. Why ignore it? That's just weird. 

It is likely a bigger income stream than their main sponsorship deal for some clubs. 

Well there is your problem.  Budget might be wrong word but perhaps this dependency is not viable.  Wakefield should be thinking solely about how to grow their own fanbase rather than waiting for the right teams to get promoted. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

but in all the time Catalans have been in SL we don't appear to have had a single sponsor from France. W

Dacia? Would a division of Renault be as interested in SL were it not for the presence in two of one of its brand's biggest markets? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Of course they should budget for away fans. 

It's an income stream. Why ignore it? That's just weird. 

It is likely a bigger income stream than their main sponsorship deal for some clubs. 

How can they budget for away fans when they don't know how many away fans will turn up on a certain day?

The same as you can't budget for Challenge cup crowds for the same reason

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Well there is your problem.  Budget might be wrong word but perhaps this dependency is not viable.  Wakefield should be thinking solely about how to grow their own fanbase rather than waiting for the right teams to get promoted. 

What dependency? 

Nobody depends on £20k per year (the difference between Fev and Catalans as an example) , they have income of millions of quid. 

People need to stop treating extremists as reflective of the game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

How can they budget for away fans when they don't know how many away fans will turn up on a certain day?

The same as you can't budget for Challenge cup crowds for the same reason

Very little income is guaranteed. It doesn't stop you having them in your budget. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Dacia? Would a division of Renault be as interested in SL were it not for the presence in two of one of its brand's biggest markets? 

Yes, potentially. That could be a good shout. I still expect it was a deal arranged in a Yorkshire pub 😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

What dependency? 

Nobody depends on £20k per year (the difference between Fev and Catalans as an example) , they have income of millions of quid. 

People need to stop treating extremists as reflective of the game. 

Ignoring the point that away fans are worth more to some SL clubs than commercial sponsors.  We're talking about SL here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...