French TV Deal

What is the current state of play with a Super League tv deal in France? 
I know there was previously a deal as every Catalans home game was also broadcast on sky sports using the French feed. I believe Elstone ended that deal as it was only bringing in a small amount of money (I can’t remember the figure). Was a new deal ever agreed? Is there a deal in place for 2022?

To me Catalans and Toulouse should be alternating home and away to give one home game in France every week. If we gave both French clubs immunity from relegation we’d be in a strong position to negotiate a lucrative tv deal in France and bring new money into the sport, something that is desperately needed. Is it guaranteed to be a success and work? No, but it would be a massive missed opportunity not to try, surely we are not in a position to pass that up? 

It should be on Davy as SLE chairman and Rimmer as RFL CEO to be proactive in this. Put together a package including (at least) 1 guaranteed England v France game per season, 1 home game each week for one of the two sides and a flagship event (whether that be Toulouse v Cats @ Camp Nou/ Velodrome/ continuing with them at Magic Weekend).

If they're foolish enough to not allow TO an initial stay from relegation; then include a penalty clause sufficient enough for a broadcaster to continue showing their games in  the Championship and enter into a long-term agreement.

Build up OURLeague so that French fans can watch their side away from home. This is now possible with the new Sky deal delivering their production infrastructure to every SL game. 

There's plenty more you could do besides. My fear is it'll be the same laissez-faire 'it's up to them to sort it out for us' attitude.

With the new Sky deal they can do even better, they can have 1 home match each week (filmed by them presumably) and 1 away match each week (since Sky will be filming all of these to broadcast level in the UK).

Something I was wondering re: the Sky deal, will we be due some money back for the games Sky agreed to film (i.e. all) that will now be in France and presumably filmed by someone else?

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

What is the current state of play with a Super League tv deal in France? 
I know there was previously a deal as every Catalans home game was also broadcast on sky sports using the French feed. I believe Elstone ended that deal as it was only bringing in a small amount of money (I can’t remember the figure). Was a new deal ever agreed? Is there a deal in place for 2022?

To me Catalans and Toulouse should be alternating home and away to give one home game in France every week. If we gave both French clubs immunity from relegation we’d be in a strong position to negotiate a lucrative tv deal in France and bring new money into the sport, something that is desperately needed. Is it guaranteed to be a success and work? No, but it would be a massive missed opportunity not to try, surely we are not in a position to pass that up? 

I'm sure you were trolling on another thread a mere two days ago that a French TV deal is an absolute certainty.

16 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Local sauce has informed me 1895 Sports subscriptions have been cancelled in WN7 alone in recent weeks

How many is that as a percentage of total sky sports subscriptions in Leigh, and what is the usual drop off at the end of a season? 

French RU gets massive TV and council investment, it should be very easy to get a £4/5m tv deal for SL plus the huge lcal authority war chests used for sport eg recently a French council gave a RU club a 34000 seat stadium.

Interesting that French RU top 2 divisions are FT with P&R but meet as 30 clubs, unlike SL and Championships - 2 x SL tens/twelves anyone

4 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

French RU gets massive TV and council investment, it should be very easy to get a £4/5m tv deal for SL plus the huge lcal authority war chests used for sport eg recently a French council gave a RU club a 34000 seat stadium.

Interesting that French RU top 2 divisions are FT with P&R but meet as 30 clubs, unlike SL and Championships - 2 x SL tens/twelves anyone

If it’s so easy to get a £4-5m TV deal to show Cats and Toulouse games I wonder if you might tell SL how it’s done? I’m sure they and the clubs would appreciate it. 

11 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Call Peter V'Landys

Super League already knows how to get a smaller TV deal

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

20 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Yeah clearly it's super duper easy. You should lead the negotiations 

15 minutes ago, Eddie said:

If it’s so easy to get a £4-5m TV deal to show Cats and Toulouse games I wonder if you might tell SL how it’s done? I’m sure they and the clubs would appreciate it. 

I have no allegiance to SL and they couldn't afford my terms. 

That figure is based upon 4-5% of the RU deal

6 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

I have no allegiance to SL and they couldn't afford my terms. 

That figure is based upon 4-5% of the RU deal

Do you also think it would be easy for SL to get a TV deal worth 4-5% of the premier league’s? 

29 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Call Peter V'Landys

Peter negotiated a billion dollar NRL deal and is proposing a 17th team in the NRL 

I believe we should pass all sky negotiations onto the NRL 

Archived