French TV Deal

2 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Back on the subject of a French TV deal i think they will sit back for at least 2 years to see how Toulouse settle in SL but for now I think at best it will be a production costs covered by the TV company.

Paul

And I’m sure SKY will be more than happy having a weekly game from France to broadcast with minimal expenditure,a tick in the box towards their “2 years to prove your worth” statement.

8 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

And I’m sure SKY will be more than happy having a weekly game from France to broadcast with minimal expenditure,a tick in the box towards their “2 years to prove your worth” statement.

I'm not sure we should give Sky a further 27 games for anything less than market value. They have paid around £403k per game, we can accept a drop off in value for 3rd choice, but if Sky want these games, they need to pay. 

44 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Back on the subject of a French TV deal i think they will sit back for at least 2 years to see how Toulouse settle in SL but for now I think at best it will be a production costs covered by the TV company.

Paul

This is one of the problems. How can you negotiate a 3-year TV deal if you, in effect, are jeopardised each year?

Nt sure if this has been said, but Catalan paid all the production costs last season ie. No TV deal was in place.  Very similar to Toronto who also paid all the TV production costs.  It is often been quoted that overseas teams, as a condition of  entering our league had to bring a TV deal with it.  I have no idea if that is a condition but I do know this has not been the case for a while.

Here we go again .....

7 minutes ago, DemonUK said:

Nt sure if this has been said, but Catalan paid all the production costs last season ie. No TV deal was in place.  Very similar to Toronto who also paid all the TV production costs.  It is often been quoted that overseas teams, as a condition of  entering our league had to bring a TV deal with it.  I have no idea if that is a condition but I do know this has not been the case for a while.

There was a huge difference over the last two years because of Covid. Catalans games were not held at home hardly in the first half of 2021.

There has never been a better time to market to a TV company. Top class home game in France every week and two big derbies. It may not be massive amounts in the first instance but I think it is plausible they will get something. The coverage in France this month has been unprecedented.

20 minutes ago, Scubby said:

There was a huge difference over the last two years because of Covid. Catalans games were not held at home hardly in the first half of 2021.

There has never been a better time to market to a TV company. Top class home game in France every week and two big derbies. It may not be massive amounts in the first instance but I think it is plausible they will get something. The coverage in France this month has been unprecedented.

Not only that as Sky are filming all SL games over here now then all the Catalan and Toulouse away games are available to purchase. 

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

Do you have a link? Has this come to light since the end of the season?

Sorry nothing solid, but BEIN got more interested before the season proper ended, I heard they had some initial conversations. Having aired the semi and final and seen the support it has generated then I hope they push on. Canal+ are a different kettle of worms. I heard a sniff of a rumour but no more. Occitanie TV are involved also in the local sport but they are small potatoes compared to the others. Someone will step up I'm sure of it, it's too much of an opportunity to miss, even if it's just down here in the south.

21 minutes ago, kiggy said:

Sorry nothing solid, but BEIN got more interested before the season proper ended, I heard they had some initial conversations. Having aired the semi and final and seen the support it has generated then I hope they push on. Canal+ are a different kettle of worms. I heard a sniff of a rumour but no more. Occitanie TV are involved also in the local sport but they are small potatoes compared to the others. Someone will step up I'm sure of it, it's too much of an opportunity to miss, even if it's just down here in the south.

I read somewhere that Canal+ was interested in screening the Catalan Dragons play off games. But that was about it 

12 hours ago, The Daddy said:

I read somewhere that Canal+ was interested in screening the Catalan Dragons play off games. But that was about it 

I can’t see them being remotely interested in Salford v Toulouse on a Thursday night. 

We don't actually need French TV to be interested in showing games played in England to generate additional income, depending on our negotiating skills. If a French Co wanted to show the 26 Catalans/Toulouse home games, and paid for the broadcast costs, SL could retain the UK rights to them and then on-sell those games to Sky. At £100,000 a pop (far less than Sky pay for each SL game they currently show), that's £2.6m new income - more or less the central funding the two French clubs will receive. If Sky don't want a weekly Saturday evening game for that price (which is cheap for live sport) then offer them elsewhere, and if no-one takes them then go down the OurLeague route for a couple of quid per game. We can generate money from this, even if the French broadcaster just pays the costs and not a fee.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

As much as anything I would love a decent French TV deal to give France and Catalans and Toulouse a bit of clout when it comes to Super League and its running. I think if we could ever get to a position where the a French deal covered the costs of the two French clubs then it makes taking a more strategic view of SL much clearer and easier. It also makes French clubs a much easier sell to the knockers.

Archived