American Football UK

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

I know it’s a completely different culture but I can’t understand how so many people are into college football, it’s like me and 50,000 others getting excited about going to watch UEA and Hull University play football. 

It's because it's where the history is. NFL is relatively new in comparison, and professional American football isn't as old and was always viewed as a bit working class by the so called purists back in the 30s... sound familiar?

But it does show that the model of club based teams playing in cup competitions and leagues, based around the world on football, which itself was partially based on the MLB, isnt the only model for all sports to always follow.  I, rather sadly, predict that in 20 years there will  be a fairly big product in watching say Loughborough v Cardiff universities play each other..but not in football, in union. They are already doing an excellent job of promoting it, and they know they have a set fan base of students and an alumni many with ready cash to spend. Sadly League wont be willing or able to follow the same in unis I think.

(For the record, I too dont have any interest in NFL, but love the NCAA and there were some great games and a big upset over the weekend just gone.) 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see something similar working, but not this.

- The British sports market is very crowded and competitive. Few towns of any size lack a professional sports team

- The appeal of the NFL to a large extent is the glamour of the major American sport. This cannot be replicated

- It does not seem to offer anything ice-hockey or basket ball does not.

- A new league requires most of the clubs get off the ground and function well all at once. Which is why new leagues rarely work.

The niche I could see are untapped markets in smaller nations. Copenhagen vs Basel for example offering international competition. But not this.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

I can see something similar working, but not this.

- The British sports market is very crowded and competitive. Few towns of any size lack a professional sports team

- The appeal of the NFL to a large extent is the glamour of the major American sport. This cannot be replicated

- It does not seem to offer anything ice-hockey or basket ball does not.

- A new league requires most of the clubs get off the ground and function well all at once. Which is why new leagues rarely work.

The niche I could see are untapped markets in smaller nations. Copenhagen vs Basel for example offering international competition. But not this.

Like some sort of NFL Europe, or something. 

I keep meaning to try to get more into College Football to watch the stars of tomorrow and to know a bit more about the top teams and their traditions. I have seen bits of it on TV and there are probably better atmospheres than at NFL games.

What I can’t get my head around is High School Football. I’ve seen High School Football movies and apparently it is just like that in real life, entire towns whose life revolves around the School team.

I used to be a proud fan of the Manchester All-Stars, Manchester Spartans, Bolton Buccaneers etc.  I can still remember the names of most of the bigger U.K. American Football teams of the 1980s during that period of great enthusiasm for a local version.

The key difference to me (although I agree with the previous points made) is that back then there was very few alternatives to watch the sport and the TV coverage was still limited.  There was no internet so if I wanted to see live American Football, then a local version was of few avenues.  Even the eventual NFL American Bowl games at Wembley were obviously just glorified friendlies with few starters risked.

Fast forward to this day and the NFL or College Football is easily accessible and everywhere you could want it, when you want it.  I wish every piece of luck to this initiative but I think they’re up against it to replicate past glories. 

Talk of holding a regular season game in American Football mad Germany is interesting to me, particularly if it is coupled with reenergising a local angle that had consistent support generally last time in the World League/NFL Europe idea.

11 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

I keep meaning to try to get more into College Football to watch the stars of tomorrow and to know a bit more about the top teams and their traditions. I have seen bits of it on TV and there are probably better atmospheres than at NFL games.

What I can’t get my head around is High School Football. I’ve seen High School Football movies and apparently it is just like that in real life, entire towns whose life revolves around the School team.

Closest thing we have is the old boys school connections for RU. 

School sport isn't nearly as big in the UK as in the US, which is partly offset by recreational amateur/non-elite team sports being virtually non existent is the US vs the UK. 

20 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Closest thing we have is the old boys school connections for RU. 

School sport isn't nearly as big in the UK as in the US, which is partly offset by recreational amateur/non-elite team sports being virtually non existent is the US vs the UK. 

Surely the nearest thing would be the Varsity match or Oxford Cambridge boat race?

13 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

If you haven't read it already then do read the book of Friday Night Lights.

It's reportage from the late 80s but it is absolutely compelling.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

44 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Also watch Titletown High on Netflix... the way that people get themselves so heavily involved it to the points they do (money and shady dealings) is quite amazing!

10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I’ve seen the movie and started watching the TV series. It was crazy the pressure the team was put under to win and how quickly everyone turned on them when they didn’t, for school sport.

On 12/10/2021 at 21:53, Liverpool Rover said:

The nearest thing we would really have is a village fete done well.

Small boring towns need events and these are such events. I saw a small rural town in California put on a Shakespeare production and have a huge crowd (it was very good mind).

http://www.winterstheatre.org/

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

12 hours ago, Bob8 said:

The nearest thing we would really have is a village fete done well.

This shows you lived in a Pac 12 area.

(See @Bob8 not really worth it)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I suppose I'm somebody who would be their target market: I do watch a fair bit of NFL, have a fair bit of branded stuff, nearly went to the game last week and have followed it on and off for years.

However, I can't envisage ever wanting to watch a British version. A huge part of the appeal is the glamour and sheer size/scale of the NFL. There is a team that play out of the Widnes team, and other than as a curiosity I can't imagine going.

For those who don't like it, I can understand that but don't agree. There is a lot going on, and the variety in different plays is very appealing. I actually only tend to watch it though in the background on a Sunday evening where you can dip in and out. For a British sports fan, the length of stoppages is very hard to get used to on a regular basis.

9 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

If anyone wants to see what NCAA is about, I'd recommend the highlights from this game at the weekend:

I first got into American Football as a 12 year old playing Madden on the old Megadrive. This is still why one of my two favourite teams are the Chargers, because I liked their helmet as a young lad (don't ask about the other one). I was big into it as a teenager.

I got back into it after watching a series of All of Nothing a few years back. I have a friend who likes NCAA but I've never been able to get remotely interested in it. I think it's a mixture of unfamiliarity with the teams (I couldn't even name one) and not being able to get my head around getting interested in University level sport. It just seems like an American version of U21 internationals: a precursor to the main show.

4 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I suppose I'm somebody who would be their target market: I do watch a fair bit of NFL, have a fair bit of branded stuff, nearly went to the game last week and have followed it on and off for years.

However, I can't envisage ever wanting to watch a British version. A huge part of the appeal is the glamour and sheer size/scale of the NFL. There is a team that play out of the Widnes team, and other than as a curiosity I can't imagine going.

For those who don't like it, I can understand that but don't agree. There is a lot going on, and the variety in different plays is very appealing. I actually only tend to watch it though in the background on a Sunday evening where you can dip in and out. For a British sports fan, the length of stoppages is very hard to get used to on a regular basis.

Can recommend NFL Redzone if you’ve not already discovered it on Sky.

Just a constant cut to the latest action from around the league with no ad breaks.

The final five minutes of each kickoff session are usually very exciting due to the way they vision mix the action from everywhere.

Redzone. Was watching on Sunday can't remember the game but a touchdown was missed because the TV company was still on an advertising break. Some crossed wires there.

College stuff in any American sport doesn't interest me at all tho I guess the players who go on to be professional shape the game to the way they played in college.

In other news Urban Meyer most have has himself a time when coach of Ohio State.

As for John Gruden didn't like the bloke don't like that team. Tho times have changed I wonder if he would have resigned (before pushed) if old Al "just win baby"Davis was still around. The NFL.may have opened up a Pandora's Box. IMO all the emails all 650,00 should be released.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

2 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

It just seems like an American version of U21 internationals: a precursor to the main show.

I love it TBH. College basketball is, to my eye, a thousand per cent more fun and enjoyable than NBA and a competitive college game (there are a lot of deliberately scheduled blow-outs) is a lot more engaging for me than the NFL.

It's cruel and exploitative and more corrupt than boxing, but it is also magnificent and stupid and wonderful.

I think the college stuff, you need to be into the US sport mindset. They dont have academies or u21 teams aligned to the professional clubs. Kids rarely get a chance at 19, 20 to play in the top league. For them pretty much everyone goes to a college to play sport because they are a top sport college. Within that college they know they get the best facilities, better than any pro club would throw at them at this stage in their career, and get to play in front if packed houses and on prime saturday afternoon tv.

If they are good enough when they finish college they get drafted and usually stay at that one pro club (appreciate there are many great players that get drafted to be the exceptions to what I've just said) for their period at the top.

For me this makes more sense to me than farming out an 18 year old to Keighley rather than having them train with say Loughbouroghs sports science set up.

Mark my words, union in this country is going somewhat the way of the US and at some point BUCS Super Rugby will have a decent broadcast deal and people will watch. 

4 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Can recommend NFL Redzone if you’ve not already discovered it on Sky.

Just a constant cut to the latest action from around the league with no ad breaks.

The final five minutes of each kickoff session are usually very exciting due to the way they vision mix the action from everywhere.

What time's it on? At the same time as the matches?

My mate has the NFL Gamepass and I went his to watch the London game and wasn't impressed. They had a lot of ad breaks and actually missed parts of the game for them, including the first field goal!

8 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

What time's it on? At the same time as the matches?

My mate has the NFL Gamepass and I went his to watch the London game and wasn't impressed. They had a lot of ad breaks and actually missed parts of the game for them, including the first field goal!

Yes same time as the games but it’s constantly flipping to whichever game is in play or something is about to happen. Sometimes in split screen if slots going on it is a good way to watch it. 

just had a quick look it’s on at 6pm Sunday’s on sky sports mix. 

Archived