Who is planning on returning to watch NRL?

They caused the sport to miss a great oppurtunity

Plenty of people on here said they would avoid the NRL for the rest of the season. I vowed for life.

If I am honest I did watch the final .

How do we all feel now about our treacherous, back stabbing, insular, whining cousins down under ?

Anyone still keeping their ban for the next season?

Think I'll probably relent and pick Watch NRL back up in Feb

38 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I guess we taught them it

So who will Canadian RL eventually stab in the back?

Well another trick they might learn from you is to shoot themselves in the foot. 😉

37 minutes ago, Lapsed Leeds Fan said:

I haven't watched an NRL game or read any NRL related story since their world cup announcement, and I can't see that changing any time soon. It's not what they said but the way they said it which still rankles.

I also still have my doubts they'll be over for the 2022 world cup.

We probably should be more concerned about when you’re gonna get down to Headingly again.

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I vowed for life.

If I am honest I did watch the final .

Such fortitude.

I'm not 100% sure I could tell you who was in the final, let alone who won it.

I doubt my little one person boycott will make the slightest impression but I've no interest in the NRL right now. That may change but it'll be a while.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Yes, I will watch it.  And indeed I did watch it last year after missing a few rounds following the announcement from Australia and New Zealand.

While I was gutted and angry about the decision, for me there is a sense of realisation that the history of our sport is a history of self inflicted wounds and this was just one of many.  I have determined to avoid the politics and self interest as much as possible and just enjoy the Rugby League... and the NRL is very very enjoyable Rugby League. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I didn't subscribe - I've done more than enough sitting around at home in the past 18 months or so - and found the live games on Sky, the NRL channel on YouTube for highlights, and Fox League & NRL on Nine clips (also on YouTube) for analysis a more than adequate replacement.

So, no.  

I won't be cutting off the tree branch I am sitting on.

I watched the NRL before  they chickened out of the world cup and I watched it after that, too. 

Their best is much better than our best. Our best is much better than their worst.

I will continue to watch NRL games despite their governing body. 

It's all about the game. Its all about the sport.

Strictly speaking - as per the heading of this thread - I am not eligible to comment.  I didn't watch NRL before and I don't intend to watch it now.

There are a mix of reasons for this.  There is a limit to how much time I can devote to watching TV sport, given other tasks and duties I imagine myself to have (or that Mrs WWD suggests I really do have!)  There is also - shock, horror! - a limit to how much RL I want to watch; I do believe that you really can have too much of a good thing!

In the context of the build up to the Championship Grand Final (as I wish the MPG had been called), I thought sentoffagain2 made a really good point in the relevant thread, which I would paraphrase as this: championship rugby is, or can be, more attractive to watch than SL because it is cleaner and tidier, especially around the ruck.  I absolutely agree with that.

I watch very little soccer these days, but when I do, it may well be a championship match; I just prefer it as a spectacle to the tippy-tappy, from-me-to-you-back-to-me nonsense of the Premier League, which, of course,. will also be served with a generous helping of cheating, as I think dishonest gamesmanship should be called.

I also know that I enjoy watching Basingstoke Bison play ice hockey, even though I know that they are not at the top level of the Britsih game.  I think that demonstrates the point that, in any sport, if a certain level of skill and competence is demonstrated by a team and, individually, its players, then it can be an enjoyable spectacle, even if you know it's not the best on offer.

Lastly, I have no Australian connections, so nothing to draw me towards one team or another in the NRL.

Archived