Redcliffe Dolphins bid wins NRL’s 17th licence for new look comp in 2023

The NRL have unveiled the Dolphins as the eagerly awaited 17th team beating the Brisbane Firehawks and the Ipswich Jets to the 17th licence.

The Australian Rugby League Commission on Wednesday officially unveiled the northern-Brisbane consortium as the winning bid in the NRL’s expanded 17-team competition for 2023.

The NRL Telstra Premiership will expand to a 26-round competition as part of the Dolphins’ entry with every team continuing to play 24 games in the regular season.

The total number of regular season games will increase from 192 to 204 with teams receiving two byes each.

Wayne Bennett is tipped to be the club’s inaugural coach although he has not put pen to paper on a deal at this stage.

“Today is an exciting moment in the history of our game,” ARLC chairman Peter V’landys said.

“The NRL Telstra Premiership will expand to 17 teams in 2023 and on behalf of the Commission I would like to congratulate The Dolphins on being granted the 17th licence.

“I would also like to acknowledge and thank the other bid teams for the work they put into their submissions. All three bids were of the highest calibre and highlight the strength of rugby league in Queensland.”

V’landys stressed that expanding the game in Queensland was vital to the long-term growth of the game in Australia with such a crowded market place.

“Rugby League is part of Queensland’s DNA and to have 4 teams based in Queensland will further strengthen our game as the No.1 sport in the State,’’ V’landys said.

“The key to long term success is growth. By growing the NRL Telstra Premiership we create more fans, encourage more participants and increase commercial investment in rugby league.

“Expansion is also a really important part of our participation strategy. It will be a condition of the licence that the Dolphins spend $2 million every year on participation and growing the women’s game in Southeast Queensland.

“Our focus over the next year is revitalising our participation strategy and The Dolphins will be an important part of that in Queensland.”

V’landys said the Commission approved the expanded competition because it added value to the Competition.

“Our priority as a Commission was firstly to ensure all 16 clubs came through the pandemic financially secure and we have achieved that.

“This decision adds substantial value to the game which will benefit all existing clubs. I would like to acknowledge our broadcast partner Fox Sports who have agreed to an enhanced broadcast agreement from 2023 to 2027.”

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said the expanded competition would create more opportunities for the rugby league ecosystem.

“This is an exciting day for our game,” V’landys said.

“There will be more opportunities for our players in 2023, more games of rugby league to watch for our fans and more investment in pathways for our grassroots participants.

“It’s also an excellent outcome for our partners and sponsors who have additional exposure from 2023.

“The structure of the season means there will be 12 more games played every year and all clubs will receive 2 byes, which assists the workload management of our players.”

St-George-Dragons-2024.jpg

NO SURPRISE HERE...

Wayne Bennett agrees to three-year deal with Dolphins from 2023

Supercoach Wayne Bennett has agreed to coach the Dolphins on a potential three-year deal from 2023.

Bennett has agreed to terms with the NRL’s newest club to helm the franchise when they enter the competition in two years.

He has hired veteran agent Sam Ayoub to strike the deal, with Bennett expected to put pen to paper in the coming days. It is understood Bennett is guaranteed three years with a potential option for a fourth.

He is expected to be announced this week and begin his time at the Dolphins from November 1.

That is the same day the Dolphins are free to sign players for 2023. Bennett’s connection to Ayoub will concern Parramatta officials, who are trying to retain three of his clients in Clint Gutherson, Reed Mahoney and Junior Paulo.

South Sydney officials will also be concerned about Bennett’s relationship with Cody Walker, another name free to hit the open market at the start of next month. Bennett’s three-year deal will see him coach for 38 consecutive seasons at the top grade.

The NRL on Wednesday officially handed its 17th licence to the Redcliffe-based Dolphins, who pipped the Jets and Firehawks for inclusion in an expanded competition.

The Australian Rugby League Commission met on Wednesday morning to sign off on the decision, which will result in the Dolphins becoming the first team added to the league since the Gold Coast Titans were introduced in 2007. The announcement was made in time for the Dolphins to become a major player in the transfer market as a slew of free agents prepare to test their value from November 1.

The prospective new franchises had to prove that they could immediately stand on their own from the outset without the financial support the AFL gave to its expansion clubs. The Dolphins satisfied a number of criteria, including being able to produce a bank cheque of $50 million over the course of the next five years to prove they were sustainable. They also demonstrated they could increase interest and participation in rugby league without adversely affecting the Broncos, Cowboys or Titans.

Their catchment area - which runs from northern Brisbane, through Moreton Bay and linking to the Sunshine Coast – has more than 10,000 registered junior players. The Dolphins junior club alone has 50 teams and 800 registered players in an area that is predicted to further expand.

Foxtel was prepared to commit a further $100 million over the next five years for another Queensland side. That offsets the predicted $75 million cost for the NRL to fund the new team, enough to placate the existing clubs.

One of Bennett’s first tasks is to compile a squad that will be competitive from the moment it joins the competition in 2023. Other players yet to commit to their existing clubs for that season include Dylan Brown, Viliame Kikau, Clint Gutherson, Brandon Smith, Kalyn Ponga, Anthony Milford and Dylan Edwards.

The expanded 17-team competition will see the NRL Telstra Premiership become a 26-round competition with every team continuing to play 24 games. All teams will receive two byes during the season with the total number of regular season games increasing from 192 to 204.
ARLC chairman Peter V’landys said the Commission’s decision was a landmark moment in the game’s history.

“Today is an exciting moment in the history of our game. The NRL Telstra Premiership will expand to 17 teams in 2023 and on behalf of the Commission I would like to congratulate the Dolphins on being granted the 17th licence,” V’landys said.

“I would also like to acknowledge and thank the other bid teams for the work they put into their submissions. All three bids were of the highest calibre and highlight the strength of rugby league in Queensland.”

V’landys said expanding the game in Queensland was vital to the long-term growth of the sport.

“Rugby league is part of Queensland’s DNA and to have four teams based in Queensland will further strengthen our game as the No.1 sport in the state,” he said.

The key to long-term success is growth. By growing the NRL Telstra Premiership we create more fans, encourage more participants and increase commercial investment in rugby league.

“Expansion is also a really important part of our participation strategy. It will be a condition of the licence that the Dolphins spend $2 million every year on participation and growing the women’s game in south-east Queensland. Our focus over the next year is revitalising our participation strategy and The Dolphins will be an important part of that in Queensland.”

V’landys said the commission approved the expanded competition because it added value to the competition.

“Our priority as a commission was firstly to ensure all 16 clubs came through the pandemic financially secure and we have achieved that.

“This decision adds substantial value to the game which will benefit all existing clubs. I would like to acknowledge our broadcast partner Fox Sports who have agreed to an enhanced broadcast agreement from 2023 to 2027.”

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said the expanded competition would create more opportunities for the rugby league ecosystem.

“This is an exciting day for our game. There will be more opportunities for our players in 2023, more games of rugby league to watch for our fans and more investment in pathways for our grassroots participants,” Abdo said.

“It’s also an excellent outcome for our partners and sponsors who have additional exposure from 2023.

“The structure of the season means there will be 12 more games played every year and all clubs will receive two byes, which assists the workload management of our players.”

'Farcical': The Key Dolphins Detail That's Riled Up NRL Fans

NRL fans have raised eyebrows after it was revealed Redcliffe will now simply be known as 'The Dolphins' upon joining the NRL in 2023.

The Dolphins were officially unveiled as the NRL's 17th team on Wednesday, after staving off bid rivals the Jets and Firehawks to become the second team based in Brisbane.

The club's headquarters will be based at their traditional home ground of Moreton Daily Stadium in Redcliffe, 40 km north-east of the Brisbane CBD. 

However, they will represent the greater Brisbane region and share Suncorp Stadium as their home ground with the Broncos.

Speaking to News Corp leading into the official announcement, Dolphins general manager Terry Reader said the club would drop 'Redcliffe' from their name and consult the community about using a more general geographic reference instead if they were to win the license.

“Redcliffe is not intended to be in the Dolphins NRL team’s name,” Reader said.

“Redcliffe will be the Dolphins’ NRL team base and present what the Red Hill base is to the Broncos.

“The Dolphins aim to consult with the community, fans and the NRL on a final name that may include a geographical reference suitable for Brisbane’s second NRL team."

However, after being officially approved for the 17th licence, it's since been revealed they will be referred to as 'The Dolphins', in a bizarre call that sparked confusion in the wake of Wednesday's announcement.

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party but pleased that Redcliffe Dolphins have made the NRL . The only sensible choice, God willing I hope to be at theirb first game at Suncorp in 2023 in the same way I saw the Titans first game against St George back in 2007.🥳

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

• 4 months later...

This isn't something I've followed particularly closely but what I've heard doesn't seem to be too positive. Something on another thread piqued my interest as I hadn't realised they'd be playing at Suncorp and that it was 42km from Redfern.

I would seriously question the logic in adding another team in the same stadium as another well-established club. Where exactly do they expect the support to come from?

I've seen this attempted in the A-League in Melbourne and tbh it's worked about as well as you would expect. The new club gets tiny crowds in the shadow of their much bigger cousins.

I suppose they're hoping to recreate the Melbourne AFL model where you have multiple teams successfully in 1/2 stadia. Hopefully someone more enlightened can convince me that this is a good idea?

The entire competition for the franchise was about having an NRL game at suncorp every week. Thats what NRL want and what TV wants.

Redcliffe is  an hour by train from Brisbane. At weekends there is often maintenance on the line and replacement buses are put on. Its then a 40 minute walk to the stadium.  There are no shuttles for dolphin games. I went to a brisbane roar game there and they did put on a shuttle to the stadium - only problem was the driver on the shuttle after the game took wrong turnings three times on the way back to the stadium!

In contrast it takes less time to get to Robina (Titans stadium) from Brisbane  - express train and stadium located next to train station).

The ground at redcliffe is a wide open concrete stadium with limited cover on part of one side only.  It get scorching hot in sunny weather and the concessions struggle to cope with large crowds - you can wait ages in the beer queue out of site of the pitch.  In bad weather - well I needn't tell you - makes a wet wednesday in wigan look mild.

But the Leagues club is next to the ground - unlike Suncorp - thats one positive!

The Broncos are playing warriors at Redcliffe on Saturday. Redcliffe is warriors temporary home until they return to NZ in July.

On 14/10/2021 at 05:32, The Future is League said:

I think this is a positive for Rugby League in Brisbane aand Queensland nd i expect the 18th club in the NRL to come from Queensland as well

No way.  

18th team has to be from NZ , Wellington or Christchurch. 

Dolphins is a great choice for the 17th team , But they need to eventually choose a geographical first name . 

Redcliffe will not be used . 

Anyone know what the options could be ? 

Can't go calling themselves by a nickname forever .

Warriors v Broncos at Redcliffe saturday afternoon 2pm.  NO TRAINS between Brisbane and Redcliffe all weekend.  

Anyone going on public transport will need to take multiple buses and a journey time of over 2 hours each way.

Lots of Brisbane folks will have bought tickets prior to the rail closure announcement.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/03/2022 at 05:46, Deranged Drunk Guy said:

Dolphins is a great choice for the 17th team , But they need to eventually choose a geographical first name . 

Redcliffe will not be used . 

Anyone know what the options could be ? 

Can't go calling themselves by a nickname forever .

I'm going to put it out there now and say this will be a total failure.

Think of it this way. In Brisbane there will be a certain number of RL fans that regularly go to games. By enlarge these will be almost all Broncos fans. So they suddenly decide to start a new club playing out of the same stadium. Who exactly is going to support them? Who is going to stop supporting the Broncos, and where are their new fans going to come from?

The only thing a new franchise has to give it lifeblood is to represent a specific location that doesn't already have a club. This is already weakened by the fact they're playing at Suncorp but they've also decided to do away with a geographical location. 

Something similar was done in the A-League with the Melbourne clubs. They used to have one massive club, they now have two clubs collectively smaller than the original one. It makes for a decent looking derby twice a year but that's it.

They are relying on three sources for fans

1 disaffected broncos fans…and there are plenty of those….an organisation in turmoil.

2 supporters of the visitors. Brisbane is the fastest growing city in Australia with folks moving from all other parts of Australia for the climate and cheaper property prices. They bring with them their club affiliations.

3 folks from Redcliffe (a fast growing community) who dont see themselves as ‘brisbane’…but then will they really want to make the trip to Suncorp every two weeks? They already have a successful QRL team…called the Redcliffe Dolphins!

I am with you….I dont see it producing the attendences they might expect. For those who want a few beers and so use public transport the train journey is one hour each way but there is no station in Redcliffe …..you have to make your way to Kippa-ring, end of the line.

And for those who dont want to go on the booze, parking around suncorp is horrendous. Many fans park away from the stadium and take the train, or use free shuttle buses to a fixed number of brisbane destinations. Those buses do not serve redcliffe.

Not looking good for the Dolphins as far as signing marque players...Knock back after knock back......I think the Dolphins will more than likely have as much success as the Titans did when they started off in the comp, which was pretty average compared to the Storms first 2 seasons, 3rd in 1998 then premiers in 1999.....That bloody penalty try....Still leaves a very bitter taste. LOL.

Archived