African born players in the English game?

6 hours ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Sadiq Adebiyi was born in Lagos and is supposedly signing for Wakefield, not sure how official that one is.

Should Levy Nzongou finally fulfil his potential then he may well end up back at a Superleague club. He was born in Brazzaville, Congo.

Didnt he play for saints?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leeds didn't seem to have as much success with South Africans as some sides, although Wilf Rosenberg, the 'Flying Dentist is the standout. Louis Neumann (later at the Roosters) had a pretty good couple of seasons.

After those two our record falls off drastically. We had Jack Pansegruow who played just a couple of games before going to Fax, and Ernie and Ossie Deysel who had trials on the wing but didn't make the cut.

After those guys its a long wait before the aformentioned Eddie Rombo, who is from Kenya.

I remember Ray Mordt and Rob Luow came to Wigan at about the same time as Du Toit. They also had a fullback from Namibia (?) whose name escapes me.

10 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Jan Molby has a Scouse accent but was still born in Denmark 🤣🤣🤣

He has a strange hybrid. The absolute worst has to be Peter Lovenkrands (what is it about Danes?) who sounds more Scottish than many Scots. There’s not even a hint of Danish in his speech.

Just googled his name and unsurprisingly accent appears as the fourth option. Came across this story where a Newcastle teammate thought he was Scottish until he spoke to another Dane.

https://insidefutbol.com/2016/10/19/newcastle-team-mate-thought-i-was-scottish-until-i-spoke-to-nicklas-bendtner-peter-lovenkrands/309918/

10 hours ago, Ackroman said:

I think Tony Fisher at Dewsbury signed  5 + saffers after the 1995 world Cup.

Jaco Boysen

Tim Fourie

Kobus Van Deventer

Gideon Watts

Guy Coombe

Pierre Van Wyke.

I think only the top 3 really made an impact

Wasn't Tony Fisher also involved with RL in SA ? Lived there mid 90's? 

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

19 hours ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Sadiq Adebiyi was born in Lagos and is supposedly signing for Wakefield, not sure how official that one is.

Official today.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

25 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

If you mean Levy Nzoungou then yeah he was at Saints, came through their academy though never played for the first team.

I thought he was talking about Sadiq Adebiyi 🤦‍♂️, yeah I think Levy has been at Saints and maybe Salford and Hull FC as well as Toulouse and Bradford. Been around, just needs to settle down and work on his game. Still young really but needs to start fulfilling his potential. 

8 hours ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Jamal Fakir, Andre Stoop. Not sure where they were born but I think Abi Ekoku and Bright Sodje are Nigerian heritage.

Bright wasn't born there

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Archived