London Broncos resign Lewis Bienek - Off season news

5 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Is it really bonkers? It's just what inevitably happens when a team goes part time. Anyone who wants to continue as a full time professional has to leave. Which means just about everyone. This was always going to happen. 

It is that loads of good younger players who would have been on peanuts, who are very promising players are leaving. Especially when a lot of those players are southern based. I'm not sure this exodus is because the team has gone part time. Even if it was its poor management from the top at Broncos 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Is it really bonkers? It's just what inevitably happens when a team goes part time. Anyone who wants to continue as a full time professional has to leave. Which means just about everyone. This was always going to happen. 

It’s wierd, i can completely understand why the younger ex full time Broncos players would easily choose a full time SL team, but my worry is the ones that seem to be on their way out currently are going to other part time championship teams, rather than staying part time at Broncos - must be more behind it than just salary 🤔

25 minutes ago, dead man inc said:

It’s wierd, i can completely understand why the younger ex full time Broncos players would easily choose a full time SL team, but my worry is the ones that seem to be on their way out currently are going to other part time championship teams, rather than staying part time at Broncos - must be more behind it than just salary 🤔

It's also an exciting time with the club moving to a shiny new ground. Either these players have been released and told to find other clubs, or no longer want to be there. 

11 hours ago, dead man inc said:

This is a guess on my part but I suspect some of the younger lads moving north have gone to university there.

A few lads who didn't quite make it in the full time era moved north and funded their studies by playing RL, others will have been aware of this.

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

Someone called Declan O'Donnell has signed. Does anyone know who this guy is? 

Very good player, was a Wigan youngster but a bad injury knocked his development, had 3 great years at Town.

Had signed for Otawa before they postponed.

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

Someone called Declan O'Donnell has signed. Does anyone know who this guy is? 

Ireland international hooker who came through the Wigan academy system and was an England schools international. Played for Leigh and Workington. Signed for Ottawa but when that fell through came back to Workington and was an integral part of the promotion winning team this year. Very good player, still only 23 and lots of potential.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

5 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Ireland international hooker who came through the Wigan academy system and was an England schools international. Played for Leigh and Workington. Signed for Ottawa but when that fell through came back to Workington and was an integral part of the promotion winning team this year. Very good player, still only 23 and lots of potential.

And a very good mullet 😂

28 minutes ago, snoopdog said:

Very good player, was a Wigan youngster but a bad injury knocked his development, had 3 great years at Town.

Had signed for Otawa before they postponed.

I think Leigh loaned him out after 3 matches.

58 minutes ago, crashmon said:

Hmm, signing L1 players to replace championship players....

Coates has been smashing it for Cov this season , only a young lad as well .. Pretty astute signing for the Broncos... 

14 hours ago, crashmon said:

Hmm, signing L1 players to replace championship players....

Hmmmm now lets see ...Joe Batchelor, Member of St Helens Grand Final Winning team this season, , played originally at Cov, moved to York in League 1 and then spotted for Saints...??

But hey you don't want L1 players.. 🤨

16 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

There's going to be a fair amount of new names and faces to learn for the Broncos fans next season. Parata is a good signing, though.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

An excellent player, I have no doubt he can step up to the championship and do well 

He was great at Coventry last season, outstanding in the 2 games i watched him play, although will be a massive loss for them  - will be interesting who Coventry can get to replace him if they are to continue their impressive upwards push next season 🤔

On 15/10/2021 at 16:29, crashmon said:

Avoiding relegation is the aim for the Broncos next year nothing more.  On that front have experienced championship players will help, as just going in with acadamy kids will see us thrashed week on week.  We need some experience to help the kids through what will be a tough season with few wins and many thrashings, so seeing them at least start to get some experienced faces in will be good.

For me if we finished 11th or 10th next season that would be a success. Yes its aiming low, but that I am afraid is where the current mgmt of the Broncos have taken us

It’s a very sad fall for the Broncos and RL in London overall. The club were still in reasonable shape by SL standards in the early days of Quins with Ian Lenegan around. Even the crowd numbers were usually closer to 10k than 5k. They had a very good GM by way of an Aussie guy by the name of Brown, very well linked to the London grass roots scene which had about 18 Full Time Community RL Coaches attached to the various junior clubs in the region.

Then new CEO Goose McKay and the club has been going backwards ever since. Funding for CRLCs dries up and a key driver to what was mass participation in London erodes as quickly as it grew. That’s like ten years ago now and still the club dwindles.

I really feel for any Broncos supporters that are still out there. They need major investment and I don’t think the club has any wealthy benefactors to assist, nor is SL an attractive investment for those looking to join the sport. Sadly, I see many more years of misery ahead.

It depends on SL2, and if Broncos qualify for that. If you consider the Skolars PT always finished nearer the bottom of L1 than the top, if Broncos are not in SL2, then they won't be many more years of Misery, as they will fold in the next 2-3 years.

Right now its one season at a time, but I feel that Broncos won't be the only team possibly folding next 2-3 years, and that RL in UK will end up a feeder sport to the NRL.  Football will suck more and more money out of other sports, and RL does not have the appeal to the unconverted that other sports that sports like Union (owing to International scene), Cricket (owing to India, lots of money coming from there) have

Archived