Sonny Bill Williams: Highlight of his career

tms

The highlight of his career will always be the next handful of cash that's waved in his direction.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

They certainly haven`t whitewashed his League career in the article which is always a positive.

His TV commentary over here has been bang average, he`s the proverbial cardboard cut-out - hopefully he will disappear pretty quickly. 

7 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

They certainly haven`t whitewashed his League career in the article which is always a positive.

His TV commentary over here has been bang average, he`s the proverbial cardboard cut-out - hopefully he will disappear pretty quickly. 

Yeah I've never bought into his bull. Very money orientated  

If I didn't drink I could have done what he has done 

This is all part of a book promotion for christmas. I`ll bet the silly #### hasn`t wanted to nominate either League or union as his greatest sporting achievement because he doesn`t want to offend potential buyers from either codes group of supporters. They mightn`t buy his book. All he`s probably achieved is offending them both now by picking a couple of boxing bouts as his greatest sporting achievement.

Coming back to RL I honestly thought that is worth on the field of play was below the average of an average player, after seeing him on TV he would not have enticed me to go out of my way and pay to watch him perform live, and quite frankly If those who did attend the Toronto games over here had previously seen his performances on TV I just wonder why.

BUT, if he did have the opportunity to fight Tyson Fury as he says "It would be a dream come true to fight against that type of calibre of fighter [Tyson Fury]. I am an avid boxing fan. I watch their training and see what they do and love boxing." that would be mouthwateringly appealing to me, I have never paid for a 'Box Office' event but would most probably make an exception in this case, albeit I expect it would be quite expensive if broke down to £'s/minute - in Fury's favour.

You can kind of understand why he would say this.  Both codes of Rugby require you to rely on your teammates for success.  You could be the best player on the pitch and lose or the worst on the pitch and win.  In boxing it is down to you and you alone, your success is entirely personal.

Anyway, in Rugby League he is divisive no doubt (and for good reason) but as a player he was outstanding - particularly the early part of his career, one of the best forwards I have ever seen.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

32 minutes ago, Scubby said:

He says whatever he needs to say in any given situation. Always has. Boxing is now his focus so guess what?

That's a very cynical, and accurate, assessment. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

53 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

In boxing it is down to you and you alone, your success is entirely personal.

A good trainer might disagree with that, they`ll be the one telling you the best way to defeat a particular opponent, especially a novice like SBW.

7 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

A good trainer might disagree with that, they`ll be the one telling you the best way to defeat a particular opponent, especially a novice like SBW.

Indeed. And good coaches make poorer teams better in Rugby League. 

But in the context of my full post, team sports vs. individual sports, I'm pretty sure you knew what I meant.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Someone puts a wad of cash under his nose and he wakes up

Best smelling salts ever! 

Isn't it typical, of this crowd, that of all his achievements we pick out the most embarrassing blunder of his entire career, to focus on?

No doubt , on the pitch he was just the complete modern player and athlete with all the attributes you want . I think from a selfish perspective it’s a shame he went to Union , but in terms of his career he amassed some CV 

9 hours ago, Mark S said:

That’s must have slipped my mind, what happed?

As per DoubleD's post, the crowd loved it obviously, was especially amusing as there were just 12 points in it at that point after a great Samoa fightbacks had everyone watching roaring them on and NZ were getting worried.

Archived