Funding in Rugby League

Spidey

So while the professional clubs are trying to sort out what money they are entitled to, the RFL are introducing the following participation fees for individual players. Previously all fees were at a per team basis paid by clubs

The feeling in the community game is that they are subsidising the RFL due to inadequacies in the pro game, with the clubs trying to hold on to as much money as possible 

Is that an annual payment?

I pay a similar amount for Tiny Ginger to have the thrill of belonging to Table Tennis England (club, match and coaching fees extra). Can’t remember what my England Athletics membership is but again club and coaching costs are on top.

Presumably it’s an outrage that is killing the game and the RFL should somehow magically have enough money and resources to do everything perfectly and it wasn’t like this in 1987?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I pay a similar amount for Tiny Ginger to have the thrill of belonging to Table Tennis England (club, match and coaching fees extra). Can’t remember what my England Athletics membership is but again club and coaching costs are on top.

Presumably it’s an outrage that is killing the game and the RFL should somehow magically have enough money and resources to do everything perfectly and it wasn’t like this in 1987?

It’s an annual payment, it’s something new and the clubs are wary of its intentions. It looks to be making up a shortfall in the professional game.

It will hit struggling teams. Say you have people who fill in now and again to help out, now they’ll have a to pay £24 for the privilege. 

9 minutes ago, Spidey said:

It’s an annual payment, it’s something new and the clubs are wary of its intentions. It looks to be making up a shortfall in the professional game.

It will hit struggling teams. Say you have people who fill in now and again to help out, now they’ll have a to pay £24 for the privilege. 

It should have been done years ago. I’m pretty surprised it wasn’t.

No wonder we’ve got no money.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

To be fair, its always harder to get any group of people to pay for something they didn't pay for before. That's not RL specific.

At a time when most amateur sports clubs are struggling with participation after the pandemic, I don't disagree with the belief that this is because the pro game has taken such a big hit. Sports need to be encouraging participation harder than ever, possibly by lowering the requirements for access. This feels like going back to the dwindling pool of people who already put lots into the game to ask for a bit more. From that position the principle is more important than the value.

This brings us back to a reoccurring logic, that if you can only fund 2 of the top division, the lower divisions, and/or the amateur game, the middle group in extreme circumstances has to be the one that loses out.

1. £24? That's not even a round of drinks 

2. Every sport I've ever played requires a similar fee, I'm amazed RL's never done this before

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

1 minute ago, nadera78 said:

2. Every sport I've ever played requires a similar fee, I'm amazed RL's never done this before

1. It is in the North of England! Two if you're really good.

2. I didn't pay this to play RU, both at a monied club and a relatively poorer one? Regardless, getting anyone to pay for something they didn't before is going to be difficult. Especially when there are questions over where this is going.

Does Adult members also mean the army of volunteers, club officials, coaches, the ladies who man the snack bars and make the after match refreshments,  in fact any one who has a club membership or is it just aimed at the player's?

Sorry if that is covered in the link, but for some reason I can't open it.

8 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

12 pints and 24p change in Witherspoon's in Leigh!

As Tommy says, if you have not had to pay it before there will be some resentment to it.

Between 100 and 160 euros to play over here in France, paid to your club, most goes to the federation, the open age teams and coaches usually get it paid by the club's, the kids pay. 

You usually end up with a tracksuit,shorts and socks included from your club, my youngest plays basketball too from this year, that's 160 euros too, 

43 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

Players currently pay around £200 per year in subs to their respective clubs. This is on top of that

43 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

1. It is in the North of England! Two if you're really good.

2. I didn't pay this to play RU, both at a monied club and a relatively poorer one? Regardless, getting anyone to pay for something they didn't before is going to be difficult. Especially when there are questions over where this is going.

Someone will have paid it. Or it could be that, like the lower fee here for the south, the RFU had some kind of waiver for northern development areas.

Another nail in the coffin for some struggling clubs.

As quoted earlier, what about the ex player that gets dragged back in to help out when teams are short . They will have to pay to help out.  Will this see a return to the bad old days of playing under a false identity, risking all sorts of insurance problems.

I have known clubs that have had 3 or players come out of retirement to get a fixture played, if they have to pay this fee to play the honest answer is they won't.

Outcome ,no  fixture, club fined ,other players don't have a game and eventually they walk away.

Finally what about the unemployed player who is to proud to say they can't afford this ? Will they  just stay away rather than say this .

I know that all these point have been made by the community clubs.

The decision had been made by  the RFL and no matter what was put forward it was happening!!!!!!!!

14 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Someone will have paid it. Or it could be that, like the lower fee here for the south, the RFU had some kind of waiver for northern development areas.

Yeah I suppose. Perhaps the clubs, even the poorer ones, were still well off enough to subsidise it.

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

Players currently pay around £200 per year in subs to their respective clubs. This is on top of that

Wow. I pay a bit less than the equivalent of £50 here in Australia and my daughter a little over £50.

new rise.jpg

56 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Wow. I pay a bit less than the equivalent of £50 here in Australia and my daughter a little over £50.

Subs on game day is so 70s when teams were ran from the local bar.

My (old) Dutch union club playing fees.

https://thehookers.nl/index.php/home/algemene-informatie/ 

From under 6 whi pay 63 euro up to open age who pay 265 euro.

My 11 year old daughter pays 200  euro to play volleyball plus 80 euro extra for her kit.

I believe around 30% from each subscription goes to the governing body and the rest to the club. 

Stuff costs money. 

I'd like to know how this compares to other sports, although I can guess already it will be more expensive in the other code.

The issue I guess at the heart of this is not the fees (as I suppose most sensible people recognizes someone has to foot the bill) but what it is used for.

If it is being used to enhance the amateur game then good.

It is to pay for RFL's official's redundancy packages or pad up club owners mysterious loans to their clubs, then not good.

Also I would be querying if and if not, why there is not deals for low incomes and the unemployed. Linking it to say restoration of health programmes at a local level. 

And why can't be paid on a sessional basis or spread out over 12 months.

Or is that too practical for the RFL?

I don't have an issue with this per se but I would like any monies to be ring fenced for the amateur game and its administration and development. I certainly don't think it should be used to subsidise any aspect of the professional game or high administrative salaries. 

When this was mentioned some months ago my biggest fear was the effect it may have on junior numbers but £12 for u11s and £18 for u18s seems reasonable.

6 hours ago, Spidey said:

The RFL doesn't generate enough income to run the game well - but nobody really wants to pay for it. 

For some reason people seem to think the pro game is full of billionaires acting like Scrooge. The Sky deal needs to deliver a quality top flight alive and can't afford to fund the whole sport. 

Things like this seem perfectly sensible, although I do understand why people get peed off when something is introduced. 

But people need to look at the bigger picture. 

48 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

Stuff costs money. 

I'd like to know how this compares to other sports, although I can guess already it will be more expensive in the other code.

UK Athletics/ England Athletics annual registration is £15. Not sure that you actually get anything concrete for it, other than a membership number and insurance for races organised under UKA control. You can still enter such races even as a non-member, but pay £2 extra. The insurance is for stuff like accidental damage, and legal costs, not for personal injury.

Annual registration with the county FA to play football is £20.

Archived