Obscure things you do for rugby league

Eddie

• Eddie changed the title to Obscure things you do for Rugby League

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Eddie changed the title to Obscure things you do for rugby league
1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

I often find myself moving certain magazines/papers in front of others in newsagents...

Blimey. Magazines and newspapers. Is this the 1990s still?

If give a choice, I’ll always try and buy from a brand that has supported rugby league. That’s a smaller number of opportunities than I’d like though.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

If give a choice, I’ll always try and buy from a brand that has supported rugby league. That’s a smaller number of opportunities than I’d like though.

I mean my attempts to get Russian bots involved digitally has been thus far unsuccessful.

I used to buy Gillette instead of any other brand because of the RL connection. I agree the opportunities are somewhat dwindling.

I never miss an opportunity to have a dig at rival codes in the comments sections of the two newspapers I subscribe to on-line, usually the afl ( I always call it fumbleball) and union. Giving it to soccer over here would be like kicking the dog.

Despite being barred several times they generally do eventually let me back on, usually only to get barred again after a couple more vitriolic outbursts.

My favourite target is one p. fitzsmmns ( I never spell his name with capitals) I give it to him deluxe even when I am banned because I know that **** reads the comments to his articles, because often he replies to them in the comments section and I`ll guarantee he reads the banned ones as well.

To fight for the game on social media I often give likes to obscure RL teams who post messages and pictures on Twitter in languages I can't speak a word of. I seem to have a particular habit of doing this with Ukrainian teams for some reason.

I also always make sure to select "Hide this ad" on any RU content that appears in my Social Media feeds. When it asks for a reason I carefully select the most negative feedback, such as "Not Relevant" or "Offensive".

39 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I never miss an opportunity to have a dig at rival codes in the comments sections of the two newspapers I subscribe to on-line, usually the afl ( I always call it fumbleball) and union.

Have a think about what impact the union trolls that come here have and then have a moment of reflection about just how that looks.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

I never miss an opportunity to have a dig at rival codes in the comments sections of the two newspapers I subscribe to on-line, usually the afl ( I always call it fumbleball) and union. Giving it to soccer over here would be like kicking the dog.

Despite being barred several times they generally do eventually let me back on, usually only to get barred again after a couple more vitriolic outbursts.

My favourite target is one p. fitzsmmns ( I never spell his name with capitals) I give it to him deluxe even when I am banned because I know that **** reads the comments to his articles, because often he replies to them in the comments section and I`ll guarantee he reads the banned ones as well.

While this feels like you are fighting the good fight, digital engagement is measured in the number of clicks and comments. 

What you are essentially doing is increasing the engagement in the pages for those codes and showing the paper that they are slightly more popular than they are.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Even when I am watching a game on Sky, I always have the BBC page open and engage with it.. a few like it is a commentary or clicking through the team pages etc.  The more clicks the more likely the sports will have increased coverage. 

Equally I try and like pages on Facebook and other platforms that are RL focused, particularly new territories and countries.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Buying coffee grown in Papua New Guinea for no other reason that it’s the national sport.

Now that's a good one.

Not sure I've seen any but I'll keep a look out.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Dinosaur alert , but I just totally prefer  a paper , magazine or book to hold and read . 

One that came to mind straight away was whenever I'm taking to any non-RL fans I always make sure to always call the sport Rugby League, I won't just say, "I'm an obsessive rugby fan" or something, I'll say, "I'm an obsessive rugby League fan". I remember having a right long natter with a random bloke in the middle of the Mourne Mountains going on lots about rugby LEAGUE and also a random bloke halfway up the Rock of Gibraltar, same conversation. I make sure to basically just big up rugby LEAGUE to anyone I might meet. I even took some Germans to a Hull game back in 2017 (Leeds game when we got battered in case you were wondering). 

21 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Have a think about what impact the union trolls that come here have and then have a moment of reflection about just how that looks.

If I think someone on here is a union troll ( or overly negative ) I just skip their posts, simple as that.

With the papers If they respond, afl poster usually like to tell me how popular their sport is cf. League, union often it`s a cheap shot at the players, it doesn`t really worry me as long as I`ve made my point.

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

While this feels like you are fighting the good fight, digital engagement is measured in the number of clicks and comments. 

What you are essentially doing is increasing the engagement in the pages for those codes and showing the paper that they are slightly more popular than they are.

In both papers I subscribe to they obviously have me marked down as a League fan because when I click on the sports section it always opens with the League section, in fact it has become so pronounced these days I rarely scroll any further down, it`s as if the other codes don`t exist.

Your point is something I am aware of. 

Probably a reflection of my character but unfortunately I am aggressive by nature and if I don`t like something I can be a hater and I do like taking the fight to the other side. If I perceive a weakness in their game I will hammer it at every opportunity, given the very defensive responses I often get I figure I`ve hit a nerve. And the more people that I point out the deficiencies of the other code to the better. Most people will just blindly swallow whatever is served up to them, they need to be educated.

Once about 30 years ago I responded to an advert in the Australian for participants in a focus group. I got up early and made my way into the News Corp. HQ.in Sydney all so I could stand up when it came to my turn to respond to why I read their newspaper ( pre-digital) and say 'There is one reason and one reason alone I buy your paper and it`s because you have  very good Rugby League coverage, without I wouldn`t touch it" and I meant it. 

Some sad sack union proceeded to stand up and say the same thing, but there`s no prize for second place and it only sounded like me too.

Anyway Dunbar it takes all types, and I`m not one for sitting idly around while other codes attempt to shaft our code. It`s probably why I`m such a fan of V`landy`s, ironic really as he was the one who cleaned up the organised crime in harness racing in Oz, and in doing so forced my cousin to shut down that particular branch of his criminal empire. But that`s o.k. you live by the sword, well you know the rest.

4 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I often find myself moving certain magazines/papers in front of others in newsagents...

I did this only recently. Standard RL behaviour.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I used to do this when I was buying mags and a paper in my younger days , but we won’t go there 

I do most of the stuff above, magazine moving, buying RL supporting produce, use the term 'rugby league' whenever I can and  putting good RL try's etc on social media - usually with the added "If this try was scored in union it would be on the news and shown again and again" . Sadly doing this does not take as long as you would think.

The other thing I always do is go to BBC websites via the BBC rugby league page, just to keep the 'clicks' going up.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

1 hour ago, Exiled Townie said:

The other thing I always do is go to BBC websites via the BBC rugby league page, just to keep the 'clicks' going up.

You can personalise the app. So to anyone who has downloaded the app, I'd suggest making sure that rugby league is one of your chosen headers.

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

You can personalise the app. So to anyone who has downloaded the app, I'd suggest making sure that rugby league is one of your chosen headers.

Yes I do that . That’s a good feature on the app

Archived