Obscure things you do for rugby league

Eddie

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Hammerless Nail said:

I go to games and watch what's happening on the field rather than sitting on my sofa glaring at empty seats and then logging on to a web forum to whine about how many people had, like me, chosen not to attend.

At the beginning of that sentence you say you go to the games but by the end of the sentence you say you don't!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

At the beginning of that sentence you say you go to the games but by the end of the sentence you say you don't!

Just showed my son that and we both had a good laugh, but to paraphrase you from yesterday, " I think you know what he meant !! ".

13 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Just showed my son that and we both had a good laugh, but to paraphrase you from yesterday, " I think you know what he meant !! ".

I did, yes.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 16/10/2021 at 10:09, The Hallucinating Goose said:

One that came to mind straight away was whenever I'm taking to any non-RL fans I always make sure to always call the sport Rugby League, I won't just say, "I'm an obsessive rugby fan" or something, I'll say, "I'm an obsessive rugby League fan". I remember having a right long natter with a random bloke in the middle of the Mourne Mountains going on lots about rugby LEAGUE and also a random bloke halfway up the Rock of Gibraltar, same conversation. I make sure to basically just big up rugby LEAGUE to anyone I might meet. I even took some Germans to a Hull game back in 2017 (Leeds game when we got battered in case you were wondering). 

I actually did the opposite last week when cancelling sky sports for the winter. For the reason why, I made sure i said I only watch RUGBY, and that the RUGBY season had finished last week. Purposely not saying league I actually thought it would make the guy on the phone to somehow acknowledge my point that there is more than one form of rugby 😁😉😏

have spent many dark autumn/winter nights drawing up to public playing fields in my transit van full of tools - football posts at dusk -hey presto-  rugby sticks by morning 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 18/10/2021 at 15:32, Sports Prophet said:

I had never bought Southern Comfort until they sponsored the Sharks

Smart sponsorship. Sharks supporters need all the comfort they can get. 😮

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Actually I have loads when I think about it 

1. Brainwashed my wife (from a union family) into loving league and coming to games 

2. Brainwashed 4 maybe 5 mates into being genuine fans (lots of Broncos/skolars/magic weekends etc). Including the neighbour 4 doors down who is a Londoner of far eastern origin (a double whammy of not being traditional league!) and now has a Broncos season ticket 

3. Constantly make references to league at work ,with my in laws and with my union teammates 

4. Harang my landlord to chalk the four/Tri nations and world cup on the noticeboard 

5. Harang various pubs around Herts/Beds to put league on and bring mates to watch it (and shout vociferously so people then ask about what it is)

6. Wear Broncos /England /SL/N** tops and training gear to the gym and out /about 

7. Decal on car 

8. Brainwash / bribe my kid's into watching league plus scarves/flags up in their playroom 

9. Buy tonnes of Our League games that I don't always watch but am happy to give money to RL 

10. Have bought Batchelors peas even though I hate them (kid's don't mind em)

Thinking about it if Ralph gets an OBE before me I want a ****ing recount 

16 hours ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

I slag off broadcasters when they get the basics wrong. 

It drives me mad. 

Well stop slagging them off. 😄

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

10 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Actually I have loads when I think about it 

1. Brainwashed my wife (from a union family) into loving league and coming to games 

2. Brainwashed 4 maybe 5 mates into being genuine fans (lots of Broncos/skolars/magic weekends etc). Including the neighbour 4 doors down who is a Londoner of far eastern origin (a double whammy of not being traditional league!) and now has a Broncos season ticket 

3. Constantly make references to league at work ,with my in laws and with my union teammates 

4. Harang my landlord to chalk the four/Tri nations and world cup on the noticeboard 

5. Harang various pubs around Herts/Beds to put league on and bring mates to watch it (and shout vociferously so people then ask about what it is)

6. Wear Broncos /England /SL/N** tops and training gear to the gym and out /about 

7. Decal on car 

8. Brainwash / bribe my kid's into watching league plus scarves/flags up in their playroom 

9. Buy tonnes of Our League games that I don't always watch but am happy to give money to RL 

10. Have bought Batchelors peas even though I hate them (kid's don't mind em)

Thinking about it if Ralph gets an OBE before me I want a ****ing recount 

That’s some effort 😁

Our leader at work in our monthly team meeting opens with anyone been doing anything interesting, I always jump on with a an RL related subject I have been involved with.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• 1 month later...
On 16/10/2021 at 09:21, Man of Kent said:

Buying coffee grown in Papua New Guinea for no other reason that it’s the national sport.

Thanks for the heads up on this as, after weeks of fruitless searching, Sainsbury's finally had some in stock today.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 17/10/2021 at 11:42, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Another thing I thought of is I buy just about every RL book that ever comes out, even if its not something I'm particularly interested in. I basically have a shelf of RL related books that have yet to be read but at least I contributed to their sales figures, granted if its a topic I'm not interested in I normally buy them when they turn up discounted in the works or on the sales section in smiths or Waterstones but they all count and with it being RL they do tend to get discounted quite quickly! 

Also any opportunity I get to voice my opinion that the film Invictus is a load of dog doodoo I take it. 😂

I got a book about Leeds from a charity shop  for 25p and I don't even like them! (Leeds, not charity shops.)

Archived