Obscure things you do for rugby league

Eddie

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Switched my gas and electricity supplies to First Utility when they started sponsoring RL. 2014,was it really that long ago?

Switched away when they stopped. It appears they were taken over by Shell Energy.

I remember filling in a survey for First Utility asking why I'd joined. Obviously,the RL sponsorship was emphasised.

47 minutes ago, JF1 said:

Switched my gas and electricity supplies to First Utility when they started sponsoring RL. 2014,was it really that long ago?

Switched away when they stopped. It appears they were taken over by Shell Energy.

I remember filling in a survey for First Utility asking why I'd joined. Obviously,the RL sponsorship was emphasised.

I did this (they were competitive on price so it wasn't a great burden).

I'm still with Shell Energy, just waiting for that next RL sponsorship to lure me into switching to someone else.

Fascinating some of the comments.... ”I have a dig at “rival” codes”...another “fights for the game“. 

Recall reading an article a few years back (might have been Lieuw (spelling?) in the Guardian) about how RL always feels threatened and was perennially fighting for its existence. Not knowing anything then about RL culture (as it’s largely hidden in the UK unless you are right in the RL heartlands) or its history the article was a real eye opener. The origin story involving the split with RU and how RL was subsequently treated over the next century (Vichy included) was truly shocking. It was then that you can understand why some (perhaps many) devotees of the game are defensive and feel the need to attack/lash out at other institutions/sports etc. 

I use two main football forums (general one and a club one) and you rarely see these type of comments on there, which I can only surmise its due to being such a dominant sport that’s never “felt threatened” or was constantly “fighting for its existence” (there’s no “RL is dying” equivalent). The comments in the football forums are largely on football (the refs are ######, offside needs clarifying, we need a salary cap etc.) with little/no regard for outside stuff but in RL forums there’s infinitely more focus on what’s happening outside the sport. 

1 hour ago, Richard de la Riviere said:

About ten years ago David Oxley told me he still did this! 

Look we need to stop moving the papers around

Whenever there is a big game, I have to keep going into Smiths and moving them back just so everyone can have a turn at this and feed good.

Must have gone to Smiths on London Bridge 5 times when Wigan played at Millwall. 

13 hours ago, The Rocket said:

If I think someone on here is a union troll ( or overly negative ) I just skip their posts, simple as that.

With the papers If they respond, afl poster usually like to tell me how popular their sport is cf. League, union often it`s a cheap shot at the players, it doesn`t really worry me as long as I`ve made my point.

In both papers I subscribe to they obviously have me marked down as a League fan because when I click on the sports section it always opens with the League section, in fact it has become so pronounced these days I rarely scroll any further down, it`s as if the other codes don`t exist.

Your point is something I am aware of. 

Probably a reflection of my character but unfortunately I am aggressive by nature and if I don`t like something I can be a hater and I do like taking the fight to the other side. If I perceive a weakness in their game I will hammer it at every opportunity, given the very defensive responses I often get I figure I`ve hit a nerve. And the more people that I point out the deficiencies of the other code to the better. Most people will just blindly swallow whatever is served up to them, they need to be educated.

Once about 30 years ago I responded to an advert in the Australian for participants in a focus group. I got up early and made my way into the News Corp. HQ.in Sydney all so I could stand up when it came to my turn to respond to why I read their newspaper ( pre-digital) and say 'There is one reason and one reason alone I buy your paper and it`s because you have  very good Rugby League coverage, without I wouldn`t touch it" and I meant it. 

Some sad sack union proceeded to stand up and say the same thing, but there`s no prize for second place and it only sounded like me too.

Anyway Dunbar it takes all types, and I`m not one for sitting idly around while other codes attempt to shaft our code. It`s probably why I`m such a fan of V`landy`s, ironic really as he was the one who cleaned up the organised crime in harness racing in Oz, and in doing so forced my cousin to shut down that particular branch of his criminal empire. But that`s o.k. you live by the sword, well you know the rest.

I can assure you there are two sad sacks there!

I sometimes go to the comments section of A-league articles and write mundane things while using the word “soccer” (I know very little about soccer).

It doesn’t boost RL but it really hits a nerve with the exact type of Australian soccer (“Stop writing soccer, it’s football!”) fan who doesn’t like rugby league.

7 hours ago, Copa said:

I sometimes go to the comments section of A-league articles and write mundane things while using the word “soccer” (I know very little about soccer).

It doesn’t boost RL but it really hits a nerve with the exact type of Australian soccer (“Stop writing soccer, it’s football!”) fan who doesn’t like rugby league.

I have an itchy trigger finger for people who write “it’s not soccer, it’s football”.

Nah, mate, it’s been soccer since forever including in England. It’s only comparatively recently that some idiots decided that it must be an Americanism and therefore wrong.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Spent 10 years living near to Perpignan and must have eaten in Bar Wembley in Canet (Jacques Jordas place) maybe over 2000 times I got so fed up with the state of his memorabilia that I had my cleaner come in and rearrange it all along with donating a GB Australian and New Zealand framed shirt I remember we held a surprise evening for Jacques when he arrived after it had been done on a Friday he was in shock but very happy.

Will be at the match on Saturday and looking forward to seeing him again as he will be with his wife Syvia on our table for the pre match luncheon.

Paul

Not necessarily for rugby league per se, but more for RL in Oldham. I will take every opportunity to remind people that the greatest game has more to thank Oldham for than people realise. First home of the Northern Rugby union, for it first 30 odd years. Where the name Rugby league was adopted, 13 players, play the ball etc. All thanks to Joseph Platt son of Oldham father of Rugby League. 😉

Here's a list of things I don't use on Rugby League's behalf:

Zurich insurance

Heineken

I specifically didn't renew my insurance with Aviva a few years ago

Unfortunately I've never been able to wean myself off using O2 or banking with HBOS (but it is Halifax who still get Centenary World Cup credibility) even though I know my money funds or has funded their terrible activities.

A comprehensive list of ethical Rugby League companies (a good list and a bad list) would be very useful IMO.

39 minutes ago, Damien said:

I remember switching from O2 when they began to sponsor a certain sports England team. I did feel a strong moral obligation not to contribute to funding such a deal.

Yeah there's the difficulty of inertia vs morals and I for one failed on that 😞

Another thing I thought of is I buy just about every RL book that ever comes out, even if its not something I'm particularly interested in. I basically have a shelf of RL related books that have yet to be read but at least I contributed to their sales figures, granted if its a topic I'm not interested in I normally buy them when they turn up discounted in the works or on the sales section in smiths or Waterstones but they all count and with it being RL they do tend to get discounted quite quickly! 

Also any opportunity I get to voice my opinion that the film Invictus is a load of dog doodoo I take it. 😂

Archived