The Billy Boston stand gonnneeeerrrrrr

If any one thing defines that wigan rugby league club need their own ground, it is the renaming of the billy Boston stand to some none descript corporate name. 

Its just a disgrace and wigan fans should not accept it 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Any link to a story, or more details? 

With the usual caveats about source and context: https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/wigan-fans-rage-at-football-club-following-renaming-rights-44287/

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

This seems an important line:

Instead, the East Stand will be renamed the Kingdom Group East Stand for Wigan Athletic fixtures in the 2021/22 football season.

12 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Its not the main example but it does show that Wigan are going to start to fall behind their competitors because they are now in a ground that is too big and cannot commercially exploit.  Unless they can get back to 15k average any long term future for them involves copying Saints or Wire. 

It really isn’t too big.

1 hour ago, The storm said:

If any one thing defines that wigan rugby league club need their own ground, it is the renaming of the billy Boston stand to some none descript corporate name. 

Its just a disgrace and wigan fans should not accept it 

I think the key point that has been missed by whoever decided this, is that Boston was most probably has been one of the main icons from Wigan’s heritage. Where he came from, what he achieved, what respect he has in the community & wider communities and that also he is still alive.  Wonder what he thinks?  Probably just shrugs those big shoulders.  

A modern day take on what counts.  £ over heritage and history.

28 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Nope,your wrong.

1. Have Wigan filled it for club games (including regular fixtures) = yes

2. Is it too big for Wigan RLFC = no

Those that think that it is too big are wrong. These things go round in cycles and Wigan are one club capable of 20k+ gates for big games. If they play at a smaller 15k stadium those opportunities are gone forever.

wigans decline!! bloody hell you would think they had been relegated, 4th in the league and probably second highest attendances every club in the league would be happy with that.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

10 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

…..in a soccer ground that they’re 2nd class tenants in.

I agree

And wigan rugby league should aspire to be one of the biggest brand names in the united kingdom 

20K per game is not unrealistic. 

11 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

…..in a soccer ground that they’re 2nd class tenants in.

swings and roundabouts latics enjoying some success right now it was only 5mins ago they were completely broke and about to disappear that could happen again quite easily.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

40 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Well they could always rent for a big game.  I am thinking that for the team and the SL product it looks dreadful these oversized empty grounds.

Salford Huddersfield and with Wigans decline we might be adding them to this list soon. 

Dont they already rent for every game...

Every SL team should have a 25k stadium as a minimum.

They should invest in filling it.

11-12 k this year is more to do with the boring grind they have resorted to on the pitch.

Hull Kr play free flowing rugby with a great stadium atmosphere. 

35 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

25k capacity. Wigan getting 10 -11k a game.  Less than 50% full so another half empty stadium on Sky.  Its 7-8 k too big. 

And a few years ago Wigan were averaging 16k+. That would never happen in a 17k stadium. Wigans range has been largely between 10-16k for 30+ years. These things are cyclical. 

15 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Dont they already rent for every game...

Every SL team should have a 25k stadium as a minimum.

They should invest in filling it.

11-12 k this year is more to do with the boring grind they have resorted to on the pitch.

Hull Kr play free flowing rugby with a great stadium atmosphere. 

That atmosphere would be gone if they had a 25k stadium. Like Hull, they wouldn't fill it.

18k is more than enough for most clubs in SL I'd say. The occasional 20k+ crowd would make more sense as a special event in a bigger ground rather than having a huge stadium that's half empty most of the time except for maybe once a year.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

I think Bostson's fame, exploits, reputation etc will outlast any of us on here, no matter for how long a mere transitory structure such as a stadium stand carries his name.  

However,  don't let that truth get in the way of gratuitous pops at the club, especially as there's not much on telly at present.

If I’ve read the announcement correctly, the naming changes to the new sponsor for the football.

For the football club, the stadium owner and recently in administration, it’s a new income.

For the RL club, has anything changed? 

https://wiganathletic.com/news/2021/october/Kingdom-Services-Group-continue-long-term-partnership-with-Wigan-Athletic/

5 hours ago, my missus said:

swings and roundabouts latics enjoying some success right now it was only 5mins ago they were completely broke and about to disappear that could happen again quite easily.

Regardless of the swings and the roundabouts one of our biggest clubs in the game does not own its own ground.  I’m a wire fan so can laugh on the one hand, but as a rugby league fan it’s a genuine worry and quite sad to see what’s going on.

Archived