Women's International: Wales v Ireland (OurLeague)

I think I've watched more matches this weekend (including Thursday) than I have during the SL/NRL season!

The teams are taking to the field. C'mon Wales!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had to restart the router, but OurLeague seems to be behaving now. As I post this, Clodagh Dunn scores in her first RL match to make it 4 all with KTC. She's a big, aggressive powerhouse who I think we'll see plenty more of in club Rugby next season.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Oh, what a nice team try for Wales. Timing the passes beautifully.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

No, I've had enough of the buffering now.

I think it's more likely my internet connection, rather than an OurLeague problem, but I'm switching to the Lezignan/St Gaudens game on FaceBook.

I'll watch this game later on catch-up.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Half-time Wales 8 Ireland 10.

Tight contest. Both teams finding it difficult to put much together. Looks like a strong wind. Officials not helping as usual. Every short pass risks being called forward. Players get the message that safety-first is the best option.

Twice when an Ireland player was held up over the goal-line, the ref came right out to the 10m line and made the PTB signal. This scenario used to be continuous play. A PTB is not a set piece. The attacking team should be able to play the ball as soon as they like. They shouldn`t even have to wait for a whistle, let alone wait for the ref to trot out to the 10, then trot back behind the goal-line. 

Close game this. Ireland leading 16-12 ten minutes into the second half.

Ireland look very well organised in defence - some good defensive reads by the three-quarters in particular. Can't help feeling that the high kick would be an effective weapon for both teams in the wind.

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

No, I've had enough of the buffering now.

I think it's more likely my internet connection, rather than an OurLeague problem, but I'm switching to the Lezignan/St Gaudens game on FaceBook.

Full-time Wales 24 Ireland 26. Conversions made the difference. Wales didn`t land a single shot. One hit the post from right in front.

I had no problems on Our League. 

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Close game this. Ireland leading 16-12 ten minutes into the second half.

Ireland look very well organised in defence - some good defensive reads by the three-quarters in particular. 

I was expecting the Welsh players who were so creative for Cardiff Demons this year would be hard to contain. But the Irish defence shut them down for most of the game.

A couple of positive thoughts on the ref. - He was good in allowing quick taps from penalties. One reason this gets results is that nowadays defenders expect the ref to want to slow everything down. Nowhere in the rulebook does it say you have to wait for the defence to be set before you take the tap.

And he was refreshingly liberal on obstruction. The Our League pundit didn`t like it, but I did. Any doubt - "Play On".

Also good to see players from outside the heartlands given a go.

Storm Cobain (best name in SL) is from Ulster, via Bedford.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I posted a brief review here. I haven't seen the game like some here but avoided creating a match summary beyond the minimum anyway. A little more was about the background instead:

https://rugbyl.blogspot.com/2021/10/womens-international-wales-vs-ireland.html

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

There's a (brief) match report on the BBC sport website. Including a clip with an interview with the Welsh captain. If nothing else this shows the value of the international game, be it men or women. 

Sounds like a cracking game. Are both these teams in the world cup next year? If not then it would be great to think that they will be building on this to compete in 4 years time. 

3 hours ago, glossop saint said:

Are both these teams in the world cup next year? If not then it would be great to think that they will be building on this to compete in 4 years time. 

No, neither of them made it to the RLWC. This was Ireland's first game I think.

Archived