2022 signings

Evs62

13 hours ago, town2018 said:

Exactly yes the game has changed and sped up alot but the use off battering rams could still be a massive asset if used right 

Agreed. I think the key is pace ie a battering ram with some pace is a hell of an asset. I remember a guy called Dickinson or Dickson? think he was on DR from Huddersfield, only played a few games for us, but he was my idea of a modern day prop, so fast into the collision , took some stopping.

3 minutes ago, DocH said:

Agreed. I think the key is pace ie a battering ram with some pace is a hell of an asset. I remember a guy called Dickinson or Dickson? think he was on DR from Huddersfield, only played a few games for us, but he was my idea of a modern day prop, so fast into the collision , took some stopping.

Dickinson yeh . And Sidlow , Walne etc . The game may be evolving and speeding up but I don’t think it’s fundamentally changed in terms of what you need to do 

9 minutes ago, DocH said:

That was a hell of a pack with Dickinson, Wilkes and FFMM!   I thought he'd have been back in SL by now.

Chris said he sees Dec as a 'middle forward' rather than hooker. I think he's building an intelligent athletic team rather than a side that outmuscles the opposition. Who are we to argue? He got us promoted a year earlier than expected. He says all the players have bought into the team. In CT we trust. He has a passion for the club & has moved to the area. Oh & our new Chairman who is driving the stadium project on Town's behalf says the stadium will be superleague standard. I'm feeling as optimistic as I was during Walshy's era.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Nero said:

Chris said he sees Dec as a 'middle forward' rather than hooker. I think he's building an intelligent athletic team rather than a side that outmuscles the opposition. Who are we to argue? He got us promoted a year earlier than expected. He says all the players have bought into the team. In CT we trust. He has a passion for the club & has moved to the area. Oh & our new Chairman who is driving the stadium project on Town's behalf says the stadium will be superleague standard. I'm feeling as optimistic as I was during Walshy's era.

CT will have forgotten more about RL than a lot of us will know about RL. I think he could be as much the jewel in the crown as as what's on the pitch this season. We all have to get behind him and the squad. Maybe some of us are being a bit old fashioned wantng the big lump or two in the front row. Time will tell.  UTT

• Like 3

I’m also full of optimism & I liked the quote about the level of facility we will hopefully end up with. I just think on the bigger forward thing it’s as simple as saying I would rather have an 18 stone prop running at the oppo rather than a 16 stone but no one is doubting the skill , heart & effort of what we already have. UTT.

17 minutes ago, town4me said:

CT will have forgotten more about RL than a lot of us will know about RL. I think he could be as much the jewel in the crown as as what's on the pitch this season. We all have to get behind him and the squad. Maybe some of us are being a bit old fashioned wantng the big lump or two in the front row. Time will tell.  UTT

Well he may have forgotten more about RL than we’ll know , it doesn’t shut down debate … yes he’s a huge asset … we’re all behind him it goes without saying … having a big middle or two isn’t old fashioned or any fashion it’s a huge attribute in gaining ground and getting your team on the front foot or at least always has been as long as I’ve been watching and I don’t think the games been reinvented . I don’t know what Chris thinks but I’d be shocked if he thought otherwise tbh 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, town4me said:

25 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Well he may have forgotten more about RL than we’ll know , it doesn’t shut down debate … yes he’s a huge asset … we’re all behind him it goes without saying … having a big middle or two isn’t old fashioned or any fashion it’s a huge attribute in gaining ground and getting your team on the front foot or at least always has been as long as I’ve been watching and I don’t think the games been reinvented . I don’t know what Chris thinks but I’d be shocked if he thought otherwise tbh 

There are some huge units in the pack with powerful mobile  second rowers flanking them in this league, they will punch holes through middles if not matched. 

I see it as he's assembled a pack that are all capable of playing in multiple positions. With injuries playing a big part and the way the match review panel now see things, I anticipate the 17 looking different week on week.

Having the big bopper, although useful, only has one string to his bow?

It's got us this far. 

30 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Think we all agree that Chris is a very tactical astute coach and worked miracles with the squad we had last year,his thoughts and plans to go without any large middles this season will in some respect be changing or reinventing how the game is played, let's not forget this as been done before, James Graham playing more like another standoff reinvented prop forward play a few years ago, full backs playing out the back like an extra half back  etc etc, we will soon know the answer if this decision/plan will work, if it doesn't I'm struggling to see where the wins are coming from, if it does the days of huge mobile props could be over.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Johnny Ringo said:

There are some huge units in the pack with powerful mobile  second rowers flanking them in this league, they will punch holes through middles if not matched. 

Ringo are you expecting the walnes back at barrow or expect them to end up elsewhere?

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

No it certainly doesn't stop debate david and I think I'm of the same opinion as you over a bit of size needed in the front row. The more modern way was looked on by some as going around teams rather than through them but give me the "going through them" any day.

• Like 1

It's not like he is reinventing rugby league though is it? We definitely don't have the biggest props in the league, and that may cause is some issues getting up field in this league if we play into the opposition hands by constantly playing that way. But scrums no longer need big props, and with summer rugby a more expansive game was born. Haven have a big pack, Riley, Walker, etc ran hard at us but we handled it and competed on a sticky pitch. Time will tell if he is right or wrong but we are in for an entertaining season for sure, I think our young lads will surprise a few and with luck on the injury front we will more than hold our own. UTT

• Like 3

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

Just now, Johnny Ringo said:

I keep coming on here out of interest as it is a lively well used forum. Can I ask if a player is said to be on his way in the coming week or so then why all the secracy? Surely if a player signs then it's news worthy? 

I suppose until a deal is done the club won’t want to put anything out. I’m sure as and when there’s any definite news the club will be more than happy to publicise it. Chris Thorman said hopefully within the next two weeks there’d be some news. 

• Like 1