Channel 9 new NRL deal

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I get that, but the discussion was rather around TV rights and negotiation rather than a quality app for niche pots of customers around the world. 

It'd be interesting to know whether the commercials stack up. 

It is no getting huge publicity about what it generates which does lead to think this is a slow burner. It is a shame the games are so far apart at the moment that the prospect of a global RL app is so far away.

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

It is no getting huge publicity about what it generates which does lead to think this is a slow burner. It is a shame the games are so far apart at the moment that the prospect of a global RL app is so far away.

On that point, it would be interesting to understand what value Watch NRL generates - because I wonder how wide apart the value of SL and the NRL would be as worldwide apps. I think at the moment both markets are probably pretty low in value (although maybe the ex-pat Aussie market is substantial worldwide).

We know that from next season we should see all of our games broadcast to decent standards - it would be good to know if we could show those live - because using the same platform could be a goer. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

On that point, it would be interesting to understand what value Watch NRL generates

According to this article from May 2020 Fox paid the NRL just under $25m over 5 years for the international rights.

NRL 2020: Fox Sports must do more to promote rugby league (smh.com.au)

On 18/10/2021 at 13:13, Pulga said:

I think there's a lot of spin coming from 9 owned media. I don't believe this is a better deal than last time. The NRL has once again beaten the AFL in the ratings this year too so they're taking unders.

The production is woeful on 9. I only ever watch the 4 exclusive games a year and even then it was a difficult watch. I won't be switching back.

Agreed, 100%

The NRL need to be brave. Take less money from 7 or 10, leave 9. Do that in this rotation, and watch 9 get disrupted in their core markets through a lack of live sport content - they definitely need the rugby league more than the NRL needs them. Their approach to our sport, rooted in the arrogance of decades of exclusivity, is appalling. It’s not just about the money either. 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

On 18/10/2021 at 15:18, M j M said:

I like the SMH generally but as soon as there is something in there about NRL TV deals you know it's just them speaking to an agenda which suits their corporate masters. Likewise the Telegraph.

Yes, I’m still a subscriber from my time living down there, and it’s the one subject on which they display Murdoch-type behaviours. Zero independent thought, their newspaper coverage is all about the TV rights relationship 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Archived