Super League Super Signings

Leeds Rhinos have announced the signing of New Zealand and Tongan International David Fusitu’a. This is not only a great signing for the club but a great signing for Super League, as World Class International signings are few and far between nowadays with the gulf in tv funding/salary cap between Super League and the NRL.

The only other World Class International that’s on his way to Super League and could rival this signing is fellow Tongan International Will Hopoate imo. 

14 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Leeds Rhinos have announced the signing of New Zealand and Tongan International David Fusitu’a. This is not only a great signing for the club but a great signing for Super League, as World Class International signings are few and far between nowadays with the gulf in tv funding/salary cap between Super League and the NRL.

The only other World Class International that’s on his way to Super League and could rival this signing is fellow Tongan International Will Hopoate imo. 

So SL get a worldclass NRL player and the NRL get Oliver Gillard.....is the tide turning🤔🤔

I bet the NRL lovers on here will have a few things to say about a World Class player coming to SL🤣🤣 - we all know as soon as a player walks on a NRL pitch he becomes World Class and as soon as any player plays in SL he's an average player....

Well done Leeds by the way still a massive RL club that can attract top players.

He's a player who comes with a big cloud of injury and other baggage but, with the Warriors paying a healthy chunk of his salary, he's worth a punt and hopefully Leeds can get him up and running and playing again.

It goes without saying that the hyperbole from the OP is misplaced.

28 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

If he can get back to his 2018 form he’ll be a good signing.

Will Hopate world class 😂

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Personally I don't think Fusitu'a or Hopoate are world class and neither will 'light up' SL next year.

Hopoate is definately a downgrade on Naiquama, though I suppose in Leeds case Fusitu'a is an upgrade on Briscoe or Handley.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Briscoe is in his last season and has just been granted a Benefit.  With this signing I'd think he wouldn't be in the first 17 if everyone is fit. 

The big question mark with Fusitu'a is what kind of shape he's in physically. At his best he's a really good winger.  Hopefully with the signings of Sezer and Austin it suggests Leeds want to move to a more expansive game.

Decent signing. Pretty versatile also. Wouldn't be surprised if he plays centre, a position i'm pretty sure he has played reasonably often at the Warriors, and a position i believe he himself wanted to play. I know he has had some injury problems, but still a very good pick up by the Rhino's.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

3 hours ago, M j M said:

He's a player who comes with a big cloud of injury and other baggage but, with the Warriors paying a healthy chunk of his salary, he's worth a punt and hopefully Leeds can get him up and running and playing again.

It goes without saying that the hyperbole from the OP is misplaced.

All players suffer injuries.  Fusitu’a is a quality winger, one of the most effective in the NRL.  In 2018, he was the  leagues top try scorer and 6th in line breaks.  If he and Harry Newman (another to have suffered a serious injury) hit their respective top form in 2022 then the Rhinos have one of the best right edges in Super League.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Good signing, although I wonder if this means Tom Briscoe getting a prolonged run at centre? I'd much prefer to see Jack Broadbent get a shot there (and Liam Sutcliffe is still around), but Briscoe must still presumably represent a decent amount of cap space? 

Agar and the club have been pretty clear they view Sutcliffe as a first choice centre. Hopefully he'll finally get a clear run at it without being dragged around the team as I think he's potentially top class in that position. Briscoe isn't the answer there in my view although Fusitu’a may get a run out there.

Either way the strength in depth Leeds are assembling is pretty impressive and there are going to be some international standard players outside the 17 - if everyone by some miracle is fit.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

All players suffer injuries.  Fusitu’a is a quality winger, one of the most effective in the NRL.  In 2018, he was the  leagues top try scorer and 6th in line breaks.  If he and Harry Newman (another to have suffered a serious injury) hit their respective top form in 2022 then the Rhinos have one of the best right edges in Super League.

Injury hasn't entirely been his problem. If his mind as well as his body is in shape he'll do very well. But that's the risk - his problems in the NRL stemmed from being away from home so what does moving to Leeds do to him?

9 minutes ago, M j M said:

Injury hasn't entirely been his problem. If his mind as well as his body is in shape he'll do very well. But that's the risk - his problems in the NRL stemmed from being away from home so what does moving to Leeds do to him?

I don't know much about his personal circumstances but missing home could be a metaphor for missing family.... the Warriors were in a bubble in Australia away from family for a long time.

Who know who will accompany him to the North of England.  Having family around may make all the difference. 

As we have seen with player movement in both directions, some work and some don't and of you are going to make these signings then you may as go for quality which Leeds have (former Dally M winger of the year and still only 27).

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I don't know much about his personal circumstances but missing home could be a metaphor for missing family.... the Warriors were in a bubble in Australia away from family for a long time.

Who know who will accompany him to the North of England.  Having family around may make all the difference. 

As we have seen with player movement in both directions, some work and some don't and of you are going to make these signings then you may as go for quality which Leeds have (former Dally M winger of the year and still only 27).

Yep, if I’d had to have 18 months away from my wife and kids because of work during Covid my performance would have suffered greatly too. 

More generally i've just seen a list of off contract NRL players that are yet to tie down where they'll be next season. Some very interesting names that could do great in SL, although I suspect some of these are already in negotiations with other NRL clubs.

Dylan Walker

Adam Elliott

Dylan Napa

Corey Norman

Will Chambers

Joey Leilua

Enari Tuala

Lachlan Lewis

Tex Hoy

Albert Hopaote

Caleb Aekins

Edrick Lee

Michael Oldfield

Curtis Scott

Tyrone May

Dunamis Lui

Adien Tolman

Siliva Havili

Siona Katoa 

Chris Smith

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

More generally i've just seen a list of off contract NRL players that are yet to tie down where they'll be next season. Some very interesting names that could do great in SL, although I suspect some of these are already in negotiations with other NRL clubs.

Dylan Walker

Adam Elliott

Dylan Napa

Corey Norman

Will Chambers

Joey Leilua

Enari Tuala

Lachlan Lewis

Tex Hoy

Albert Hopaote

Caleb Aekins

Edrick Lee

Michael Oldfield

Curtis Scott

Tyrone May

Dunamis Lui

Adien Tolman

Siliva Havili

Siona Katoa 

Chris Smith

There's some pretty average players on that list and I suspect the good ones like Lui, May, Elliot & Walker will get snapped up by other NRL clubs

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Archived