Super League Super Signings

6 hours ago, M j M said:

He's a player who comes with a big cloud of injury and other baggage but, with the Warriors paying a healthy chunk of his salary, he's worth a punt and hopefully Leeds can get him up and running and playing again.

It goes without saying that the hyperbole from the OP is misplaced.

The OP does have a history of superoptimism.

1 hour ago, Faithful1865 said:

And being left with more egg on his face than John Prescott. 

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Yep, if I’d had to have 18 months away from my wife and kids because of work during Covid my performance would have suffered greatly too. 

i think mine would have excelled 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

5 hours ago, Faithful1865 said:

11 hours ago, M j M said:

He's a player who comes with a big cloud of injury and other baggage but, with the Warriors paying a healthy chunk of his salary, he's worth a punt and hopefully Leeds can get him up and running and playing again.

It goes without saying that the hyperbole from the OP is misplaced.

Agar said: “We are really excited to have signed David and I think he will be a great addition to our team.

“Undoubtedly, he is a world-class talent – you only need to look at his highlights reel and see the spectacular tries he can score to know he will soon become a crowd favourite at the Rhinos.

“In the modern era, it is rare a player of his ability becomes available for a Super League club and it is a great boost for us to have beaten off competition from a number of clubs to have secured his signature.”

Chief executive Gary Hetherington said the signing is “great news for Rhinos fans and for Betfred Super League”.

He insisted: “David is one of rugby league’s most exciting players

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/super-league-world-class-nrl-winger-david-fusitua-completes-leeds-rhinos-overseas-signings-quota-3422498

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Agar said: “We are really excited to have signed David and I think he will be a great addition to our team.

“Undoubtedly, he is a world-class talent – you only need to look at his highlights reel and see the spectacular tries he can score to know he will soon become a crowd favourite at the Rhinos.

“In the modern era, it is rare a player of his ability becomes available for a Super League club and it is a great boost for us to have beaten off competition from a number of clubs to have secured his signature.”

Chief executive Gary Hetherington said the signing is “great news for Rhinos fans and for Betfred Super League”.

He insisted: “David is one of rugby league’s most exciting players

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/super-league-world-class-nrl-winger-david-fusitua-completes-leeds-rhinos-overseas-signings-quota-3422498

Well Agar isn’t going to come out & say he’s been out of form for 3 seasons & we got him cheap now is he.

I hope he does recapture some of the form that made him one of the best finishers in the game in 2018,the game over here needs players like that.

47 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Well Agar isn’t going to come out & say he’s been out of form for 3 seasons & we got him cheap now is he.

I hope he does recapture some of the form that made him one of the best finishers in the game in 2018,the game over here needs players like that.

He will not have come cheap, maybe by NRL standards, but I expect he’ll be one of the highest earning wingers in Super League.

It's expected NZ Warriors are paying something like 40% of his salary - so whilst one of the best paid players in Super League, he won't necessarily be one of the best paid players by a Super League club.

Quoting Agar and Hetherington is really meaningless, I don't know what that's supposed to prove. I'd like to think posters on here have a little bit less credulity, but perhaps not.

He's potentially a blockbuster signing, but we'll have to wait and see how it pans out.

10 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

More generally i've just seen a list of off contract NRL players that are yet to tie down where they'll be next season. Some very interesting names that could do great in SL, although I suspect some of these are already in negotiations with other NRL clubs.

Dylan Walker - will get an NRL gig

Adam Elliott - aside from off-field dramas, a better-than-average forward. Probably get a cheap NRL deal

Dylan Napa - end up on cheap NRL deal somewhere. Every club needs spare props

Corey Norman - OK as injury cover in NRL

Will Chambers - too old to attract any serious $$$

Joey Leilua - not worth the hassle

Enari Tuala - will get NRL deal. Only 22 and has played for PM'sXIII and Junior Kangaroos

Lachlan Lewis - injury cover at best.

Tex Hoy - still only 21, can play halves, FB. Worth a cheap NRL deal as injury cover and may develop into regular first-grader

Albert Hopaote - only 20, big winger who could become NRL quality. Also former Aus Schoolboys RU rep

Caleb Aekins - been stuck behind better FBs at Penrith and Raiders. Hard to say.

Edrick Lee - Harsh, I know, but nobody will pay good money for a 29-year-old winger who's had 3 good years and only average 7 games/year for the rest of his career.

Michael Oldfield - still only 30 but the only time he has been a regular first-grader was at Catalans

Curtis Scott - I think he might be facing some court drama.

Tyrone May - not quite good enough to be a starting half in NRL

Dunamis Lui - always need spare basic grafter props

Adien Tolman - has averaged 22 games/year since 2009 which is very good injury record for a prop.At 32, he'd be a good low-budget bench player.

Siliva Havili - good buy at the right price. Would have played more games if he hadn't been behind Nathan Friend at the Warriors and Mitch Rein at St George. Played 11 games for Tonga. Good at 9 or tough basic forward with good hands.

Siona Katoa - Which one? The Canterbury one I guess, since the Sharks' Sione Katoa won't be leaving. Reasonable bench hooker and forward. Will probably get a cheap NRL deal as injury cover.

Chris Smith - 27 and only played first-grade 30 times at 3 different clubs. Nothing wrong with him, he's just the 18th or 19th best player at the club. Squad filler.

If I was a SL club, there's no-one there I'd buy unless the club had very specific shortage - like 9 or 7. If I was an NRL club I would at least talk to Lui, May, Walker, Tuala and probably Havili and/or Katoa - both 9/back-rowers so I wouldn't take both.

40 minutes ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

There's nobody on that list to get too excited about. Given Leeds are looking at props Napa might be worth a punt but his form dropped off a cliff. 

Leeds now have their full allocation of overseas players so won’t be signing another unless a contracted player is released.

7 hours ago, M j M said:

It's expected NZ Warriors are paying something like 40% of his salary - so whilst one of the best paid players in Super League, he won't necessarily be one of the best paid players by a Super League club.

What a fantastic piece of business from Leeds, Gary Hetherington really does know how to run a Super League club successfully. 

Archived