West Tigers offer Josh Hodgson 2 year contract

4 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

The NRL must really be struggling for players if they are pawning over Englands 5th choice.....

He has become a bit injury prone. No doubt he was playing some pretty outstanding stuff in the NRL 2-3 years ago. England's 5th choice hooker will be earning the same as the other 4 hookers combined (£450,000).

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

He has become a bit injury prone. No doubt he was playing some pretty outstanding stuff in the NRL 2-3 years ago. England's 5th choice hooker will be earning the same as the other 4 hookers combined (£450,000).

That's dreadful if accurate. To pay a player as important as your #9 less than GBP 200K just seems unthinkable. I think the NRL minimum wage is now about GBP 40K and you can only have 4 players per team on that.

NRL.com understands that the four minimum wage earners – $77,500 – in roster spots 27-30, and players on development contracts worth up to $60,000, won't have their salaries reduced under the new agreement.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/19/players-agree-to-6-per-cent-cut-in-new-pay-deal/

Those are the reduced rates. (because of the Covid hit to club finances) Clubs can only have 3 development players - generally juniors who can't play first grade until Round 11

17 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

That's dreadful if accurate. To pay a player as important as your #9 less than GBP 200K just seems unthinkable. I think the NRL minimum wage is now about GBP 40K and you can only have 4 players per team on that.

Those are the reduced rates. (because of the Covid hit to club finances) Clubs can only have 3 development players - generally juniors who can't play first grade until Round 11

We can only pay the whole squad £1.8m (A$3.3m) in SL. McShane will be lucky to be on six figures (my guess is around £80k), Roby and Clark would be in the 100-200k area. If Leeming is earning £50k I would be amazed. Hodgson has been earning £450k in the NRL for a few years now. It shows the difference in earning power.

16 minutes ago, Scubby said:

We can only pay the whole squad £1.8m (A$3.3m) in SL. McShane will be lucky to be on six figures (my guess is around £80k), Roby and Clark would be in the 100-200k area. If Leeming is earning £50k I would be amazed. Hodgson has been earning £450k in the NRL for a few years now. It shows the difference in earning power.

But SL has exemptions - marquee players etc.

Tomkins on around £300,000 at Cats as he was on at Wigan and Williams on around £350,000 at Wire - there is still money at the top clubs.

On 18/10/2021 at 10:11, Mr Frisky said:

But SL has exemptions - marquee players etc.

Tomkins on around £300,000 at Cats as he was on at Wigan and Williams on around £350,000 at Wire - there is still money at the top clubs.

So why don't the other 4 hookers above him not get paid more? Maybe no one wants to pay Roby etc that much? Whereas Josh has been a proven NRL performer for years.

9 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

So why don't the other 4 hookers above him not get paid more? Maybe no one wants to pay Roby etc that much? Whereas Josh has been a proven NRL performer for years.

I think Roby is on a very good wage mate - the others play in SL (and arnt as good as Roby) so by definition usually dont earn as much as NRL players. Clarke will also be on a very good wage at Wire as he's turned down the NRL a few times.

Hodgson has been good in the NRL but isn't as good as most of the English hookers in SL but Hodgson suits the NRL - like Bateman has proved- horses for courses.

On 18/10/2021 at 09:53, Scubby said:

You're pretty out of date on those numbers now Scubby. £2.1m is the standard number plus exemptions, incentives and marquee player rules. You could easily be spending £2.5m+ on your first team squad. More if you really wanted to splurge on marquee players. 

Hodgson eventually saw through Sticky’s “throw players under the bus to protect myself” ######, with the disgraceful treatment of Williams. He was benched because of how openly he spoke on that subject, and disengaged as a result. Think you’ll see a different player at another side.

Also, the £££ are important. He’s a hugely back-ended final year of his contract in 2022 at Canberra, so given he’s out of favour from the Raiders perspective if they can get him off their books whilst maybe only paying half his wage it’s a financial win, which then makes him a really good-value 2-year hire for someone else as Canberra subsidise his package 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

I guess, putting $$$ to one side,  the challenge for Hodgson is does he want to move to a screwed up club and spend his final years being coached by the one coach in the league who is a bigger psycho than Stuart.

Archived