Bristol All Golds to Return to Pro Ranks

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

By the looks of it, no. Their Southern Conference League season ended with a 70-16 loss away to Valley Cougars, followed by them conceding two walkovers, so I would guess it's a perceived solution to that. How that makes them a victim of their own success, I do not know.

The implication in the release is that they have lost key players by not being semi-pro.  I have no idea if that is true.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

The 'blurb' on their website says their next game will be in 2022 in the Southern Conference League.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

7 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

They are not rejoining League 1. Both them and Worcester have declared themselves semi pro despite not even finishing their seasons last year. I'm not even sure what the rules are about paying players in amateur leagues? Either way it surely is a huge waste of money 

Amateur sport as a definition no longer exists, I believe.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

11 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

They are not rejoining League 1. Both them and Worcester have declared themselves semi pro despite not even finishing their seasons last year. I'm not even sure what the rules are about paying players in amateur leagues? Either way it surely is a huge waste of money 

Here is Worcester’s statement https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1079964289478650&id=140450823430006&m_entstream_source=timeline

I think they have an academy too, the people running the club certainly mean business, good luck to them. 

5 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

A League One South would be ideal for them 

No, that would be the worst possible thing for RL outside of the heartlands imho. The ambitious teams (Skolars, Cov, NWC etc) need to be testing themselves against quality opposition, not amateur come and go set ups. 

5 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I think a mix of the 2 would be good. A National Cup and National Playoffs alongside more localised fixtures in the league would be the best of both worlds for an involved.

Fair enough, as long as the better Southern teams got plenty of games against Heartlands teams. I don’t know what good it would go Coventry (for example) playing Swindon and Bedford most weeks, only to play a play off against Rochdale or whoever and a cup tie against Hunslet. 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Here is Worcester’s statement https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1079964289478650&id=140450823430006&m_entstream_source=timeline

I think they have an academy too, the people running the club certainly mean business, good luck to them. 

Hmmm not that I want to be that guy that looks like I'm against ambition but I would take statements like this with a pinch of salt. Worcester don't have an academy, they had a few youngsters who played a few games. They did quite well but they haven't kept it going. Their link up with the local college has also had a poor take up.

As for the first team they only played half a season before pulling out of the league. Before that they were getting hammered every week. They've also alienated a number of players by announcing they are going semi pro. Clubs with ambition need to build from the bottom up and grow before they can start paying players. I don't know how much money they have but I can't see how this is in any way sustainable. 

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

A League One South would be ideal for them 

Something everyone seems to be missing is that All Golds already have been in league 1. They spent a fortune and couldn't make it work. I don't see how it will be any different. 

They didn't finish their season in the Southern Conference last year and despite big statements haven't really built the club back up since dropping out of league one. I'm not trying to be critical but what's the point of them paying players in the Southern Conference? Wouldn't they be better building up a really strong structure round the club? 

As for the league 1 South idea its been debated plenty of times and is a non starter. Clubs in the South will only be proper part of the game if they are competing in a national structure. 

They've certainly nailed the press release writing ability of many pro clubs. You can imagine a portly club owner shouting 'boy, get this down and published' before dictating the nonsense in that article to a bemused underling.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

8 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Something everyone seems to be missing is that All Golds already have been in league 1. They spent a fortune and couldn't make it work. I don't see how it will be any different. 

They didn't finish their season in the Southern Conference last year and despite big statements haven't really built the club back up since dropping out of league one. I'm not trying to be critical but what's the point of them paying players in the Southern Conference? Wouldn't they be better building up a really strong structure round the club? 

As for the league 1 South idea its been debated plenty of times and is a non starter. Clubs in the South will only be proper part of the game if they are competing in a national structure. 

Not sure what their current player pool consists of, whether it is purely university students or they are looking to attract locals into playing the game .

When the club was in L1 the operating model seemed to be attracting players from out of region by targeting those looking for University Education at either degree or Masters level who wished to play Pro RL and also represent the University in the Student Game . You could see the logic , win win for the players , support for their academic aspirations, play and be paid for playing semi pro  and in some cases international recognition at Student Level .

By using this model they had a steady stream of decent standard players available ( at the time they pulled out of the league the actual playing standard was improving drastically under Lee Greenwood and Antony Murray ) but you only had to look in the stand to see where the issue was , apart from family and friends the general support for the Club in the area was one man and his dog and was never sustainable.

Archived